PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Toshi Terada sounds good to me

Phill D
3rd February 2013, 09:56 AM
Have a read of the interview with Olympus' Toshi Terada
on DPR. This sounds like more confirmation of good news to come.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

StephenL
3rd February 2013, 10:08 AM
He's not giving much away, is he? Have to wait and see what transpires! But he does realise there are a lot of people out there want to continue to use regular 4/3 lenses.

sponner
3rd February 2013, 10:55 AM
I do get the impression that there will be a solution for those of us hanging on for something to replace the E5.

No doubt it will be some kind of mirrorless but as long as there is a new body, with more up to date specs, to use the 12-60 and 50-200 on I will be happy.

Overall fairly promising

Westy
3rd February 2013, 12:58 PM
To be honest that was the main reason behind me selling my four thirds kit, whilst it still retained some reasonable resale value. I have now moved fully over to micro four thirds which I believe is were Olympus future lies.

David M
3rd February 2013, 01:42 PM
If it wasn't for the HG and SHG glass I'd have jumped ship long ago. I've recently been researching Nikon glass but so far it's not looking much better than the Canon glass I tried.

brianvickers
3rd February 2013, 03:41 PM
I've read several threads where the virtues of the HG and SHG are extolled, are the m43 primes not as good or is it that there are no fast zooms available ?

Melaka
3rd February 2013, 04:00 PM
The main problem with MFT is the lack of anything approaching the quality of the HG and SHG zooms. Primes are fine if you don't mind zooming on shanks' pony!

David M
3rd February 2013, 04:08 PM
Plus the weather/dust sealing.

StephenL
3rd February 2013, 04:16 PM
I've read several threads where the virtues of the HG and SHG are extolled, are the m43 primes not as good or is it that there are no fast zooms available ?

Some of the primes are optically at least as sharp as SHG glass, however few are weatherproofed and no, there are no Olympus fast zooms.

Greytop
4th February 2013, 02:11 PM
The main problem with MFT is the lack of anything approaching the quality of the HG and SHG zooms. Primes are fine if you don't mind zooming on shanks' pony!

I disagree, I have a couple of high quality grade m4/3rds zooms (both image quality and build) in the 12-35 and 35-100 in my bag. OK they are not Olympus but they are very good optically and weather & dust resistant.

brianvickers
4th February 2013, 02:29 PM
I was not aware of these....the 35-100 f2.8 looks like what I would want from a telephoto zoom.....and you says its good Huw.
so there is no need to hang onto Four Thirds lenses when you can changeover to M43....I guess its always difficult to part with a much loved HG/HSG lens...if you already have one of course.
....I still think it would be good to see Olympus offering fast zooms..for M43.

Greytop
4th February 2013, 03:46 PM
I was not aware of these....the 35-100 f2.8 looks like what I would want from a telephoto zoom.....and you says its good Huw.

It's very good and amazingly compact for a f/2.8 zoom. Of late I have been using it more often than the 12-35.

DerekC
4th February 2013, 04:20 PM
Some encouraging words as to the future of 4/3. I am one of those with SHG & HG glass and I want an up to date body to go with them. Don't and have never used a m4/3 or OM-D as I shot a lot of Motorsport they don't fit the bill. Lets keep the fingers crossed for a good body to go with the glass.

Ian
4th February 2013, 04:30 PM
Yes, the vibes I'm sensing indicate the wait for a mirrorless Four Thirds solution (whether that be a dedicated Four Thirds body or a dual-mode solution that will support both Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses with much better Four Thirds lens AF than we currently have...) is now months rather than years. I was disappointed that we didn't see anything at Photokina last September, but various sources I trust now seem to be pointing towards the latter third of this year.

Ian

Ian
4th February 2013, 04:38 PM

When I spoke to Akira Watanabe (who is more senior than Terada san) when the E-P3 was launched, he rated the 12mm f/2.0 as equivalent to a 'high grade' Four Thirds lens, not Top Pro or Super High Grade (SHG), although he did add that the optical performance of the lens had exceeded expectations. Apart from the m.Zuiko 12-50 kit lens and the 60mm macro, none of Olympus' m.Zuiko lenses are sealed. This might be part of Watanabe san's reasoning. But optically there are no problems at all with the 12mm f/2.0, 45mm f/1.8, 75mm f/1.8 nor the 60mm f/2.8.

So I think you have hit the nail on the head - there are no high grade fast zooms from Olympus. Panasonic has produced some like the 12-35 f/2.8 and the 35-100 f/2.8, although these are a stop slower then their Zuiko equivalents.

Ian

Phill D
4th February 2013, 07:57 PM
It's a shame it's not going to debut at Focus on Imaging in March. Not very likely if Oly aren't going to be there.

brianvickers
4th February 2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks Ian.
I have no urgency for a long telephoto...so will probably wait for Olympus to come up with a fast tele zoom or maybe my next lens will be the 75mm which has fantastic reviews.
I have the 40-150mm which is ok for now...any serious photography I have planned falls into the wide to portrait range anyway...
(for which I have 12mm f2, 17mm f2.8, 20 mm f1.7, 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8).