Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 is now shipping for Mac and Windows

For full info on new fetatures and UK pricing see

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshoplightroom/

We have the press release on FTU as well:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2008/07/adobe_lightroom_2_arrives.php

Ian

shirley
29th July 2008, 08:44 PM
So what do people think about Lightroom?
I currently use Elements to organise and edit. My workflow is OK but a little chaotic at times, does lightroom help with this and does it cope with large numbers of images, I currently have approx 12, 000 images stored.
Any thoughts or comments gratefully received.
I would try the free download but I am concerned that it will find all my images and mess up my Elements organiser - is that a really stupid thing to say?:o
Also, would it take for ever to organise images and learn how to use Lightroom, I think Ian did comment on a steep learning curve.

Thank you for any thoughts

DekHog
29th July 2008, 09:17 PM
I think it's a fabulous piece of software, and didn't find the learning curve too hard at all.

It will take your 12,000 images and many more no problem - it won't 'find' them and wreck your elements organiser. You can choose to import them from the location they are at or copy them to another location and import them, so you choose yourself, it doesn't go searching your hard drives like Picasa.

The 'Develop' module, where you edit your images shouldn't be too hard to get to grips with if you've used Adobe camera raw - I found the important thing was finding out exactly what the sliders actually do/refer to, as the names given to them aren't always intuitive, but there is good help and plenty of Internet tutorials/help available.

It takes a bit of 'playing with,' but once you get used to it, the speed with which you can achieve great results for white balance, etc, is amazing.

I'd download it and give it a try.

shirley
29th July 2008, 09:25 PM
I think it's a fabulous piece of software, and didn't find the learning curve too hard at all.

It will take your 12,000 images and many more no problem - it won't 'find' them and wreck your elements organiser. You can choose to import them from the location they are at or copy them to another location and import them, so you choose yourself, it doesn't go searching your hard drives like Picasa.

The 'Develop' module, where you edit your images shouldn't be too hard to get to grips with if you've used Adobe camera raw - I found the important thing was finding out exactly what the sliders actually do/refer to, as the names given to them aren't always intuitive, but there is good help and plenty of Internet tutorials/help available.

It takes a bit of 'playing with,' but once you get used to it, the speed with which you can achieve great results for white balance, etc, is amazing.

I'd download it and give it a try.

Thank you, that is really helpful and addresses most of questions.
Shirley

StephenL
29th July 2008, 09:36 PM
I too am wondering whether it is worth the upgrade. As an early (Rawshooter) triallist of LR I found the Raw conversion good but the database bad. Perhaps this was down to my lack of knowledge/willingness to learn? As the update from a free version of LR is quite cheap at £69 or so, I might give it a try.

HughofBardfield
14th August 2008, 06:03 PM
Something that does seem to be emerging as a bit of an issue is that it's important to un-install the Lightroom 2 beta (and sometimes LR v1.x as well) if you have them or LR2.0 can run very slowly. The new adjustment brush and gradient tools are particularly affected.

Other than that, it is much improved IMHO. The new tools and library features make it well worth the upgrade price (even if Adobe persist in unfairly penalising us for not having adopted the US dollar as our currency... ).

A lot of discussion here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/adobe_lightroom/

shenstone
15th August 2008, 06:46 PM
So what do people think about Lightroom?
I currently use Elements to organise and edit. My workflow is OK but a little chaotic at times, does lightroom help with this and does it cope with large numbers of images, I currently have approx 12, 000 images stored.
Any thoughts or comments gratefully received.
I would try the free download but I am concerned that it will find all my images and mess up my Elements organiser - is that a really stupid thing to say?:o
Also, would it take for ever to organise images and learn how to use Lightroom, I think Ian did comment on a steep learning curve.

Thank you for any thoughts

IMHO treat LR for what it is - a fairly user friendly raw developer with some minimal cataloguing tools.

If you want a truly excellent image catalogue then it's not the tool - try something like Imatch http://www.photools.com/

Regards
Andy

shenstone
15th August 2008, 07:07 PM
I too am wondering whether it is worth the upgrade. As an early (Rawshooter) triallist of LR I found the Raw conversion good but the database bad. Perhaps this was down to my lack of knowledge/willingness to learn? As the update from a free version of LR is quite cheap at 69 or so, I might give it a try.

I can only find this price as ex VAT from a version 1 not from Rawshooter ( I never moved across), but as I've quite liked playing with the Beta I may take the plunge

Do you have a link to where you found this

Regards
Andy

StephenL
16th August 2008, 06:47 AM
This is Adobe's standard price I believe for an upgrade from V1.4 of LR, which was free if you had a paid copy of Rawshooter, as I did.