PDA

View Full Version : E-M5 with Canon 400mm f5.6L again

David Morison
26th January 2013, 09:44 AM
Some more birds with this very capable setup. I must admit that, even allowing for the extra reach factor, this lens definitely produces sharper results than the renowned ED 300mm f2.8 when used with the E-M5. I sold my 300 as I was not happy with the AF when doing wildlife and now I'm enthusing over a lens which is MF only and has no aperture control in this situation!

Goldfinch - slight movement blur here:

http://dpnow.com/galleries/data/500/P1254039.jpg (http://dpnow.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/28752)

Male Greenfinch:

http://dpnow.com/galleries/data/500/P1254014-2.jpg (http://dpnow.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/28750)

Collared Dove

http://dpnow.com/galleries/data/500/P1254029.jpg (http://dpnow.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/28751)

I will certainly be using this setup more and more, although it obviously requires a tripod/gimbal which I don't usually carry with me. However for birds in static situations and not too far from the car it is now a must for me and I can easily detach and use the lens with the canon 7D if i need for moving targets.

David

yorky
26th January 2013, 09:51 AM
It obviously works well for you, very nice set.

Daveart
26th January 2013, 11:17 AM
hi David, nice set of images, to me they look over exposed about 1 stop, it maybe my tablet.

I know that you are having restricted use of apeture settings.
Glad to here that you are enjoying that setup. Good luck with that setup.

Dave

Imageryone
26th January 2013, 11:26 AM
That extra reach is definitely worth the MF.

Wee man
26th January 2013, 12:39 PM
You are getting gread detail with that set up.

David Morison
26th January 2013, 03:40 PM
hi David, nice set of images, to me they look over exposed about 1 stop, it maybe my tablet.

I know that you are having restricted use of aperture settings.
Glad to here that you are enjoying that setup. Good luck with that setup.

Dave

Hmm, the exposure looks just right on our two laptops and my new iMac although the colour balance varies between the three.
I really wouldn't want to stop down much more than f5.6 as I want to keep the shutter speed up, so the restriction is not really an issue.

David

ringneck
30th January 2013, 12:18 AM
They all look nice "clean" images to me.
With reference to the motion blur on the Goldie ..it has a speed of 1/100 and as all the rest only iso 200.I thought this camera handled higher iso better than the 7D so could you have pushed it a bit more.
Brilliant images fot man focus though...I don't think I could do MF now......:(

Keith *chr

David Morison
30th January 2013, 06:58 AM
They all look nice "clean" images to me.
With reference to the motion blur on the Goldie ..it has a speed of 1/100 and as all the rest only iso 200.I thought this camera handled higher iso better than the 7D so could you have pushed it a bit more.
Brilliant images fot man focus though...I don't think I could do MF now......:(

Keith *chr
Yes, I agree. I tend to use Auto ISO all the time on the E-M5 because it can cope with higher ISOs and should have paid more attention to the shutter speed - lesson learnt. MF on the 400 isn't too difficult but just in case I have FN1 assigned to Myset 1 which is set to use the Keyline filter for focus peaking.

Regards

David

Ulfric M Douglas
30th January 2013, 09:26 AM
... and has no aperture control in this situation!
Do you set your chosen aperture on a Canon body and then remove the lens?

David Morison
30th January 2013, 10:01 AM
Do you set your chosen aperture on a Canon body and then remove the lens?

As I was unsure of the usability of this combination I only purchased a basic "dumb" adapter so I only use the lens at the maximum of f5.6. However there are adapters available that include a diaphragm for stop down metering which would work OK with the EVF of the E-M5. They cost upwards of 30 so once I am satisfied that I may need one (when the brighter weather arrives) then I'll probably get one.

David

Greytop
30th January 2013, 10:39 AM
Yes, I agree. I tend to use Auto ISO all the time on the E-M5 because it can cope with higher ISOs and should have paid more attention to the shutter speed - lesson learnt. MF on the 400 isn't too difficult but just in case I have FN1 assigned to Myset 1 which is set to use the Keyline filter for focus peaking.

Regards

David

Hi David, do you find the Keyline filter helps much with manual focussing? I've never used it myself tending to rely of magnifying the critical area instead. Or perhaps you use a combination of the two?
Thanks, looking forward to your comments.

David Morison
31st January 2013, 08:15 AM
Hi David, do you find the Keyline filter helps much with manual focussing? I've never used it myself tending to rely of magnifying the critical area instead. Or perhaps you use a combination of the two?
Thanks, looking forward to your comments.
Huw
I use the keyline filter more on subjects with a plainer background as it can be confusing. Off course it takes longer so if the subject is moving around a lot it can be frustrating. The secret is to assign a button that enable you to use the filter just for the final confirmation and then release for the shot, having the filter switched on the whole time drives you mad when trying to identify the exact subject you want when it is moving.

Regards

David

oly_om
7th April 2013, 04:41 PM
I agree the AF is a washout on the ZD 300/2.8 - but as for IQ, can't agree with you on that one. Just been playing with the 300+EC-14 on the EM-5 and the results are amazing. Perhaps your copy was not so good?? I have experience of the 400/5.6 - at least 3 different copies on the 5DII and the 7D. It's good, but not so good as the ZD 300/2.8. The 7D is great, but I hate the chroma noise even at lowish ISO - and the harsh AA filter robs sharpness too.

Great sample shots, all the same.

Andy

Tordan58
8th April 2013, 01:51 PM
Excellent results, high definition and nice colors. (The first one looks like suffering from some shake blur rather than motion blur, but at 1/100s this is probably expected)

I use the EM-5 with a 600mm, fixed aperture F/7.5 MF scope myself, quite often with EC14 and must say the EM-5 works really well. I found the following assets most valuable:

The sensor enabling shooting at high ISO with good quality when the situation calls for it
The EVF is at least as good as optical viewfinder at F7.5
The EVF magnification is useful to assist in setting focus right
The touch panel to mitigate shake blur from holding the camera body and pressing the shutter release button. (I use a tripod and gimbal head).
The small and light body helps in achieving balance and excercising less stress on the focuser (although the came buttons and controls are way too small for my liking)

/Tord

David Morison
9th April 2013, 06:32 AM
I agree the AF is a washout on the ZD 300/2.8 - but as for IQ, can't agree with you on that one. Just been playing with the 300+EC-14 on the EM-5 and the results are amazing. Perhaps your copy was not so good?? I have experience of the 400/5.6 - at least 3 different copies on the 5DII and the 7D. It's good, but not so good as the ZD 300/2.8. The 7D is great, but I hate the chroma noise even at lowish ISO - and the harsh AA filter robs sharpness too.

Great sample shots, all the same.

Andy

Thanks. If you haven't tried the EF 400mm f5.6 L on the E-M5 then you won't appreciate how good it is - it's the sensor that does that. I can't see that a 6500 built to order lens from Olympus would ever be "not so good" if that was the case that is a damning indictment of Olympus quality control! I suspect that, if anything, my EF 400 is better than average. For me the 400 is much better on the E-M5 than on the 7D - it's just that the 7D AF Servo knocks the Olympus CAF into the ground.

David