PDA

View Full Version : Focusing issue

geirsan
26th July 2008, 09:23 PM
Since March my E500 has gone hunting while focusing. This happens with all lenses at their end points, i.e. at 14mm and 42mm, 50mm and 200mm etc.
This never was a problem before I took my camera travelling, and now wonder what might be the reason: dust particles inside the camera, direct exposure to the sun creating havoc with the focusing sensors etc.
Any ideas+

PeterD
25th August 2008, 06:31 AM
Since March my E500 has gone hunting while focusing. This happens with all lenses at their end points, i.e. at 14mm and 42mm, 50mm and 200mm etc.
This never was a problem before I took my camera travelling, and now wonder what might be the reason: dust particles inside the camera, direct exposure to the sun creating havoc with the focusing sensors etc.
Any ideas+

Sorry, I missed this post earlier. Have you had any luck yet to get this sorted?
I still use my E500 which still behaves well but it seems yours may need a trip to the Service Dept.

Peter

Rod Souter
25th August 2008, 02:51 PM
Have you tried cleaning the lens contacts on the body?

Rod

oldhat
27th August 2008, 04:18 PM
I have a similar problem and still looking for any solution that does not involve an expensive service. My Olympus E-500 has been in regular use since June 2006with two Zuiko lenses and one Sigma lens.
It has given good service till recently but I am now having a problem with the autofocus.
Set on the standard S-AF setting it often hunts, the subject finishes up totally out of focus, won't readjust, and I have to switch off to start again. I initially had this problem when using the Zuiko 70mm macro lens, photographing flower close-ups, and had to switch to manual focus.
I am now noting the problem from time to time with the other lenses - and not limited to difficult-to-latch-onto subjects.
Is there a 'factory reset' procedure which I could carry out to try to resolve this problem ?

Olympus support suggested ... "Try taking the lens off and gently cleaning the sensors/contacts located in the bottom half of the camera body. Try lightly pressing each pin in and making sure that it springs back. Afterwards, try wiping the contacts on the lens down with a soft, dry cloth or tissue." I've done this, with no improvement.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

j.baker
27th August 2008, 05:22 PM
I have had a similar problem with an E400.

Most of the photos taken were slightly out of focus. The repair bill would have cost more than the camera was worth. So I cleaned the focus sensor.

On the E400, this is small sensor strip at the bottom of the camera. I used visible dust cleaning fluid on a small cleaning tip (like cotton wool buds, but for optical equipment). So far it focuses better. I also cleaned the lens contacts and the camera pins with alcohol on cleaning paper.