PDA

View Full Version : OMD 50-200mm

Seonnaidh
15th January 2013, 10:56 PM
Has anyone tried this lens on the OM-D E-M5?
I've hired one back in the days when I had the E5 and thought it was a great piece of glass.
But how does it fare on the above camera using the adapter?

pvasc
15th January 2013, 11:05 PM
E-PL5 it is good, but...slow to focus compared to m4/3 lenses. Searches for focus in and out somtimes before it locks. Somtimes the lens and I have a disagreement on what the subject is that should be iin focus. And no C-AF. So if you can live with the focus speed the best work around for the hunting is manual focus close to what you want to be in focus and let the lens do the rest. It is a great piece of glass, and the new sensor only makes it better.

Greytop
15th January 2013, 11:31 PM
That was my experience too.
Lovely lens but relatively slow jittery auto focus on thr OM-D EM-5, sadly it was worse with the EC-14 and 20. I too resorted to manual focus into roughly the right position then autofocus or go totally manual.

Nick Temple-Fry
16th January 2013, 01:01 AM
Whilst I have no experience of the OMD, I've used the 50-200 mk1 (the non SWD) on an e-PL1, focus isn't the fastest and you have the drawback that cdaf doesn't always see what you are aiming at. But focus is acceptably accurate.

I have a suspicion that the non SWD lenses adapt better to cdaf than the later counterparts.

Nick

andym
16th January 2013, 08:53 AM
I use mine a lot on the E-M5 and as said I find it a bit slow a juddery but accurate in AF.
I've used it almost exclusively in MF coupled with manual focus assist and IS previewed in the viewfinder and have been surprise how quickly you can become very proficient with this.

I do the same with my 12-60,both give stunning results.

Seonnaidh
16th January 2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks lads just the sort of feedback I wanted. One more question what is the handling like?

Bikie John
16th January 2013, 11:35 AM
Jon - I may be stating the obvious here, but why not try hiring again (although I'm not sure whether Ian has the adapters on offer, which would render the suggestion rather less than useful if he hasn't!).

Ciao ... John

JohnI
16th January 2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks lads just the sort of feedback I wanted. One more question what is the handling like?

Don't have the OM D, but even with the E-30, the sooner you train yourself to handle the bulk and weight of the lens rather than the body (that somewhat insignificant bit attached to the backside!), the better things go . . . . . especially for wildlife.

John

David M
16th January 2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks Andy, that's very useful. I'm using my SWD lenses in MF with back button focusing these days so MFing on an EM-5 would work for me.

Given the E-5 has gone up $100 since its release while the EM-5 has come down $300 I think an OM-D is in my future. Especially with the fast MF primes becoming available in m4/3 mount.

OM USer
17th January 2013, 11:46 AM
I'd love these lenses (12-60 & 50-200) but as I abandoned my OM system for the autofocus speed of the E-M5 I feel I would get frustrated. Its not as though you can walk into a camera shop to try these things out either.

David M
17th January 2013, 03:26 PM
Anyone using the Olympus 7-14 on an EM-5?

Or an OM 350mm f/2.8?

Who's_E
17th January 2013, 10:01 PM
I have a suspicion that the non SWD lenses adapt better to cdaf than the later counterparts.

I concur with this. I found on my E-P1 and G3 that using the 50-200 SWD hunted for focus, which isn't unusual, but it also made horrible noises while doing so: Rather like running a fingernail down a comb.

One day... m43 & my nice glass.

Nick

kentomas
20th January 2013, 12:03 PM
Anyone using the Olympus 7-14 on an EM-5?

Or an OM 350mm f/2.8?

I've used my 7-14mm on the E-M5 and found that, while somewhat slow, focus was accurate and positive without either hesitations or juddering - unlike my 12-60mm or 50-200mm. I've only used it a few times and for landscapes, whilst on holiday in Scotland, and for that it was absolutely fine. I also found that it handles well, despite dwarfing the body. I find with big glass it's just the way you hold the combination that makes the difference - I cradle the lens with my left hand.

Ken

David M
20th January 2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks Ken, that's good to know as I've never like the manual focus action of the 7-14.