PDA

View Full Version : Considerations

gregles
15th January 2013, 07:11 PM
I am seriously tempted to cross to the dark side and get myself an EPL5 with the45mm f1.8 and the 12-50mm. Any thoughts or things that I should consider before coming to a final decision?

I will be selling my four thirds kit to fund the move to mfts.

Cheers

Greg:)

Seonnaidh
15th January 2013, 07:37 PM
He who dares wins,
He who hesitates is lost.
One life, live it.
Go on, you deserve it.
I (Gregles) need it.
I (Gregles) want it.
I've earned it.

If you need more reasons than this you don't deserve it!
seriously I rate my OMD as being a far better machine/tool than the E5 (for me) others will of course disagree. But I have no regrets. If you can live without the viewfinder or
are willing to buy the detachable one, then just do it.

gregles
15th January 2013, 07:46 PM
That will do for me Jon:D

Phone call to Ffordes tomorrow to arrange a courier to collect all my four thirds gear:cool: It looks a very, very capable camera*yes

PeterBirder
15th January 2013, 08:19 PM
Jon has given you excellent advice there Greg.

It's an OMD minus a few bits but plus that very interesting looking tilting screen.

I'm sure you'll be knocked out by it. (The camera not the screen :D)

Enjoy.*chr

Chevvyf1
15th January 2013, 08:30 PM
He who dares wins,
He who hesitates is lost.
One life, live it.
Go on, you deserve it.
I (Gregles) need it.
I (Gregles) want it.
I've earned it.

If you need more reasons than this you don't deserve it!
seriously I rate my OMD as being a far better machine/tool than the E5 (for me) others will of course disagree. But I have no regrets. If you can live without the viewfinder or
are willing to buy the detachable one, then just do it.

Jon, I would add

You can't take it with you. :eek:
No one deserves it as much as YOU :D

If you leave the money as "Inheritance", no one will aprreaciate it as much as you woud, buying an OM-D

gregles
15th January 2013, 08:31 PM
Cheers Peter:D

I have not had the opportunity to handle any of the PENs but have no qualms about using them. I am looking forward to firing shots off from the screen and what looks like almost instantaneous AF performance and high ISO and, and , and and...........*yes

pvasc
15th January 2013, 09:38 PM
You won't regret it.

gregles
15th January 2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks Chevvy and pvasc*chr

crimbo
15th January 2013, 09:49 PM
Well I am happy with the epm-2 with the vf-2... If you don't need the big glass...go for it

gregles
15th January 2013, 10:12 PM
Cheers Chris, I just cannot be bothered lugging round heavy gear all the time it just gets in the way of having fun with the family. My shooting is mainly for fun and is landscapes and people - so the 12-50 and 45mm will cover the bases there. I can pick up a 40-150 or the panny 45-200 at some point in the future if needed:)

It all looks good*yes

Chevvyf1
15th January 2013, 10:42 PM
Cheers Chris, I just cannot be bothered lugging round heavy gear all the time it just gets in the way of having fun with the family. My shooting is mainly for fun and is landscapes and people - so the 12-50 and 45mm will cover the bases there. I can pick up a 40-150 or the panny 45-200 at some point in the future if needed:)

It all looks good*yes

Greg, if I was not into Birds in Flight - I too would be OM-G :D I mean, OM-D *chr

pvasc
15th January 2013, 11:12 PM
Chevvy I think it can, I think it can, do Birds in flight. Take a look at my thread Bird in flight. It was taken with a PL5 but all I did was pull up put the bird in the focus square on the LCD and push the shutter. I wonder what it would have gotten if I had a lens and tried to get the bird.

Greytop
16th January 2013, 12:03 AM
Congrats Greg, that E-PL5 sounds to be a fantastic camera, essentially an E-M5 without a few bits and bobs. Do you think you will add the VF-2 at some point? I found it very useful when I had my E-PL2.

Chevvyf1
16th January 2013, 08:22 AM
Chevvy I think it can, I think it can, do Birds in flight. Take a look at my thread Bird in flight. It was taken with a PL5 but all I did was pull up put the bird in the focus square on the LCD and push the shutter. I wonder what it would have gotten if I had a lens and tried to get the bird.

Thanks but I have explored the use of 50-200 and other long lenses - however its not a great combo for bif :( YET :) :eek:

pvasc
16th January 2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks but I have explored the use of 50-200 and other long lenses - however its not a great combo for bif :( YET :) :eek:

No it won't work with that. lens. I had the Sigma 30mm on the E-PL5. The 50-200 on the E-30.

OlyPaul
16th January 2013, 09:31 AM
Greg the E-PL's are great for people,landscape and general shooting I use mine all the while with and without the VF3.

It's a bit of a culture shock after coming from a DSLR but you soon adapt and it becomes second nature using it and their is not much you cannot do with it.

The 12-50mm is not the choice I would have made as the 14-42 is just as good and cheaper.

I will be upgading from the E-PL3 to the E-PL5 when funds permit.:)

gregles
16th January 2013, 10:36 AM
Congrats Greg, that E-PL5 sounds to be a fantastic camera, essentially an E-M5 without a few bits and bobs. Do you think you will add the VF-2 at some point? I found it very useful when I had my E-PL2.

Hi Huw,

I will save up for the VF2 just in case we get some sunny days and I cannot use the screen;)

Cheers

Greg

Seonnaidh
16th January 2013, 10:50 AM
I've managed to get some reasonable BIF shots with the OM-D and the Panny 45-200.
I might try the Oly 70-300 soon. Might hire one for a weekend just to "suck it and see".

pvasc
16th January 2013, 10:58 AM
Hi Huw,

I will save up for the VF2 just in case we get some sunny days and I cannot use the screen;)

Cheers

Greg

I was out in the monthly allotment of sun yesterday and the screen didn't seem to be to bad, compared to the E-PL1. I would recommend the VF-2 though.

gregles
16th January 2013, 11:22 AM
Greg the E-PL's are great for people,landscape and general shooting I use mine all the while with and without the VF3.

It's a bit of a culture shock after coming from a DSLR but you soon adapt and it becomes second nature using it and their is not much you cannot do with it.

The 12-50mm is not the choice I would have made as the 14-42 is just as good and cheaper.

I will be upgading from the E-PL3 to the E-PL5 when funds permit.:)

Thanks Paul,

I have gone for the twin lens kit with the 45mm instead. I might miss the 2mm at the wide end but will probably appreciate the increased length of the 40-150 more for day to day shooting.

Cheers

Greg

gregles
16th January 2013, 11:24 AM
I was out in the monthly allotment of sun yesterday and the screen didn't seem to be to bad, compared to the E-PL1. I would recommend the VF-2 though.

Thanks for that - I will have to wait and see how it handles in the blistering hot Scottish weather:p Perhaps I should have gone for Tims used EM5 and 12-50 purely for the waterproofing;)

Zuiko
16th January 2013, 04:39 PM
I am seriously tempted to cross to the dark side and get myself an EPL5 with the45mm f1.8 and the 12-50mm. Any thoughts or things that I should consider before coming to a final decision?

I will be selling my four thirds kit to fund the move to mfts.

Cheers

Greg:)

Errm, don't you mean cross to the light side? :D

gregles
16th January 2013, 05:49 PM
Errm, don't you mean cross to the light side? :D

I will let you know very shortly:p:D