PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Printing and pricing

Graptolite
13th January 2013, 07:37 PM
This is a first for me - I've been contacted by someone who has seen some of my (squirrel) images online and would like to buy some of them as A4 size prints. *yes
Firstly, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, good quality printing lab?
Secondly, what is a reasonable price to ask on top of the printing costs? :confused:

This is all new to me, so any advice gratefully received

Chevvyf1
13th January 2013, 08:09 PM
This is a first for me - I've been contacted by someone who has seen some of my (squirrel) images online and would like to buy some of them as A4 size prints. *yes
Firstly, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, good quality printing lab?
Secondly, what is a reasonable price to ask on top of the printing costs? :confused:

This is all new to me, so any advice gratefully received

David I trust you shall receive the payment for Prints & p&p, BEFORE you order the prints :)

Price on top of the prints is really personal to you. :cool:

Seonnaidh
13th January 2013, 08:10 PM
David,
I am often asked this by local people who expect me to help them compete for print sales
against myself but as it's you and you are highly unlikely to be selling prints on Skye then here is my receipe for pricing.
Work out total cost of materials including p&p if you are sending your images away for printing. Say print, conservation quality mount, tape and sundries £15.00
add 20% for expenses, depreciation/ replacement of kit, petrol etc. Now gives us a total of £18.00 now multiply that by three and there you go £54.00
I would price it in my gallery at £55. and that gives me a bit of lee way to drop the price to £50 if it's needed.
Yes, I am in this game to earn a living, and yes we do OK. Perhaps a wee bit better than OK. The main point is do not under value either yourself or your work just for the sake/thrill of getting a sale.
It's a sure road to disappointment.

Seonnaidh
13th January 2013, 08:36 PM
Forgot to add a suggestion for a decent printer.
Try BDP Photech in Wigan.
I sometimes have medium and large format trannies printed on Cibachrome by them.
But sadly I believe Cibachrome is no more.

David M
13th January 2013, 08:59 PM
I didn't realise Cibachrome was no more. I always like the material but in 2006 I took a print out of a frame that had been on a wall for 10 to 12 years and found it had faded. Disappointing given Cibachromes reputation as an archival material.

Graptolite
13th January 2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the advice Chevvy and Jon - that's very helpful. I promise not to muscle in on the Skye market Jon, but in any event I really don't think I'd offer much competition!

*chr

gregles
13th January 2013, 09:40 PM
Hi David,

DS Colour Labs are very good too - http://www.dscolourlabs.co.uk/

A4 print on fuji paper comes in at 0.65 with P&P from 3.99. Are you supplying the prints mounted?

Drop me a pm if you want :)

Graptolite
13th January 2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks Greg - I'll take a look at them as well.
Not quite sure exactly what my first customer is looking for re mounting - I'll need to find out more from her.
Do you think I should get the furballs to sign model release forms?

gregles
13th January 2013, 11:03 PM
Can they sing, in tune and dance:D

gregles
13th January 2013, 11:05 PM
Not quite sure exactly what my first customer is looking for re mounting - I'll need to find out more from her.

Yes find out what her mounting requirements are. She may be quite demanding and difficult to satisfy at any price :p

Graptolite
13th January 2013, 11:08 PM
Yes find out what her mounting requirements are. She may be quite demanding and difficult to satisfy at any price :p

*ipop*ipop*ipop

Seonnaidh
13th January 2013, 11:24 PM
davidM,
I believe I read an article recently in the BJP about Ilford discontinuing Cibachrome due to
a reduced demand. Pity as I quite like Cibachrome myself. I have a client who insists on it. Don't know what is going to transpire with them.

StephenL
14th January 2013, 11:05 AM
Forgot to add a suggestion for a decent printer.
Try BDP Photech in Wigan.

Oh. Have they moved? I used to use them donkeys years ago when they were based in Warrington. Very good, very professional.

David M
14th January 2013, 01:57 PM
Yes, I remember them being in Warrington when I was using them but that's got to be 20 years ago. I didn't realise they were still in business.

StephenL
14th January 2013, 02:50 PM
Yes, I remember them being in Warrington when I was using them but that's got to be 20 years ago. I didn't realise they were still in business.
Just done a check. They're still in Warrington.

David M
14th January 2013, 03:04 PM
It's odd, when I was using them I was working 10 minutes south of Warrington but never went there, all my dealings with them were by mail.

StephenL
14th January 2013, 03:14 PM
Although at the time I lived about 40 miles from them, I still visited with my slides as I wanted their advice on printing options. They were very helpful, and spent the time with me. But I'd totally forgotten about them till Seonnaidh mentioned them!

Seonnaidh
14th January 2013, 06:13 PM
Yes, silly Seaonnaidh. They are in fact still in Warrington.

David M
14th January 2013, 06:49 PM
Well both start with W, have a g and end with n so it's an easy mistake to make.

Seonnaidh
14th January 2013, 10:11 PM
David thanks for making my 'oldtimers' disease a little easier to live with!