PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Shutter actuations reset to 0?

s4ean
9th January 2013, 04:53 AM
Question for those with experience with Olympus Service. For what reasons would Olympus reset the actuation counter on a camera sent in for cleaning? They've updated the camera firmware, but in my experience this doesn't reset the counter. Could they have replaced the shutter? Any other reasons, or is it standard procedure anytime a camera is sent in?

Appreciate any insight!

Patchwork
9th January 2013, 08:27 AM
Indirectly I have experience of this. I bought a used E-1 and the seller said it had been serviced recently at which time the shutter count had been reset to zero (the camera was in great condition and has performed without any problems).

David M
9th January 2013, 04:09 PM
A firmware update shouldn't reset the shutter count. There was reports that one of the E-1 firmware updates reset the shutter count on that camera but I don't remember any confirmation of the reports.

birdboy
9th January 2013, 05:31 PM
I've just had an E3 returned from Olympus service. You get a report back with what they have done, so if they have replaced the shutter the report "should" say that. I say should because my report said they had replaced the EVF on an E3!!! I queried this and they said they got it wrong. I have noticed on one other customers service report the same replacement. I can’t remember the thread but I thought it strange at time. My E3’s shutter count has not been reset.

Maybe there is a difference between the States Olympus service and European service?

I have to say in general I was disappointed with the Olympus service and told them so but that's another story. I do hope that you were happy with yours?

John

DerekW
9th January 2013, 07:30 PM
I had an E3 serviced and the count was reset, probable to avoid scaring you with the number of test shots they take.

s4ean
9th January 2013, 11:03 PM
I had an E3 serviced and the count was reset, probable to avoid scaring you with the number of test shots they take.

Lol, I rather like that explanation. The camera appears fine, won't make a good selling point when that time comes though.