PDA

View Full Version : EM5 query

Melaka
6th January 2013, 12:19 PM
I seem to have hit a snag with my EM5 and wonder if anyone can help.

I took a number of pix yesterday, some using sequential L. With single shots I was getting a reasonable pic at 1/80 f5.6. However in the sequences of three, all at f5.6, the first came out at 1/60, the second at 1/80 and the third at 1/100. Sequences of two were either at 1/60 and 1/80 or 1/80 and 1/100. All forms of bracketing were off.

Does anyone have an explanation plese?

alfbranch
6th January 2013, 03:29 PM
What exposure mode were you using.

Post three as seeing the exif may help someone explain

Zuiko
6th January 2013, 03:58 PM
How consistent was the light?

Melaka
6th January 2013, 04:17 PM
Mode was A and as the shots were taken within one second there was no light change between frames. Overall the light was poor hence the slow shutter speed even at ISO 1000. The exif is the same for all shots apart from the shutter speed.

dko22
6th January 2013, 07:57 PM
as you say you are on A mode and I assume ISO is also consistent, are you really quite sure there's no kind of bracketing? What you describe would pretty well match 3F 0.3 of a stop bracketing, assuming that sequence keeps on repeating itself which eliminates exposure difference. Difficult to think of anything else which would cause this but maybe someone will come up with something!

David

Zuiko
6th January 2013, 08:21 PM
Must admit at the moment I'm stumped, having ruled out exposure bracketing or ISO variations.

peak4
6th January 2013, 08:46 PM
Have you tried a factory re-set just in case the camera thinks there is bracketing selected, but isn't displaying it.
On the other hand before that, which would lose all your settings, perhaps you could enable, then disable each of the bracketing options to see if that cures it.

Do keep us posted, we do like a mystery.:)

Melaka
7th January 2013, 11:25 AM
I've tried to reproduce it again today.

With the Olympus 12-50 I get the same exposure every time so no problem.

However with the Panasonic 45-200 the first shot of a sequence of four is overexposed by virtue of the shutter speed being either 1/50 or 1/60 instead of 1/80 for the remaining three. This is the lens I was using when I first noticed the problem.

I've spoken to Olympus servicing who've not heard of the fault before so am now sending them the pix for examinaiton.

Seonnaidh
7th January 2013, 11:48 AM
I've just checked this on my OMD using the panny lens and no problems. So far.

Melaka
7th January 2013, 11:58 AM
I've just tried it with the Pansonic 100-300 and with that the first frame is at 1/100 and the reminder of a sequence at 1/125.

I've emailed some pix to Olympus and am waiting to hear what they say.

johnwb
7th January 2013, 12:01 PM
When using the Panasonic 45-200mm, did you have the lens stabilisation on as well as the body stabilisation? Should be only one on at any one time. Preferably the body IS on with the lens stabilisation off. The two on together may affect the ISO values???

Melaka
7th January 2013, 12:03 PM
IS1 on the body. Off on both lenses.

Melaka
7th January 2013, 05:48 PM
And here is the reply from Olympus

"Thank you for your email and samples. There does not seem to be any issue. This is quite normal performance."

Hmm!

Zuiko
7th January 2013, 08:36 PM
And here is the reply from Olympus

"Thank you for your email and samples. There does not seem to be any issue. This is quite normal performance."

Hmm!

In a way they are right. I remember back in film days it was regarded as acceptable if an in-camera exposure meter had a +/- half stop margin of error. In fact, thinking back, one of my OM4Ti bodies did in fact consistantly give about half a stop extra exposure than the other. Which one was actually correct I have no idea; the waters were further muddied by the issues of what was the true ISO rating of Velvia and did K64 actually benefit from a third stop underexposure. It didn't cause me a problem, though; on one body I rated Vevia at ISO 40 and on the other I rated K64 at ISO 64. If for any reason I switched the bodies matched to the films I rated Velvia at ISO 32 and K64 at ISO 80. It helped having one black body and one "champagne" (dull silver).

The thing with the variation in metering in my OM bodies is that at least the difference was consistant. The problem with your E-M5 is that the accuracy seems to change for each exposure and unless this can be corrected you will in practice have less headroom you can rely upon when making difficult exposures.

PeterBirder
7th January 2013, 09:49 PM
Two thoughts.
First, I seem to remember reports of some of the older Panasonic m4/3 lenses not being able to respond fast enough to commands from the E-M5 in the sequential shooting modes although I thought that was to do with aperture control.
Second, what metering mode were you using? Presumably you were shooting a moving subject. If you used ESP metering for example it is conceivable that the average light value changed as the subject moved through the frame.

This is probably rubbish but just trying to figure out what is happening.

Regards.*chr

Melaka
7th January 2013, 10:26 PM
Nobody else seems to have had the problem and it only happens with the Panasonic lenses, not the 12-50. I find the Olympus explanation a bit glib and I've asked for further details. We're talking 3-5 exposures in each sequence (so between 1 and 2 seconds long) with the shutter speed being about half a stop slower in the first of each. In the photos taken on Saturday there may have been some movement of a dog's head between frames but in the ones taken today there was just a part of my car with a brick wall beyond. I don't think subject movement was a cause. The overexposure has been repeatable with the 45-200 and the 100-300 on every occasion I've tried it so it's unlikely to be some random effect.

I'll try some more tomorrow and see what happens.