PDA

View Full Version : New Top Specification OMD coming?

Alpha1
27th December 2012, 09:16 AM
This looks promising! ;)

http://www.43rumors.com/more-info-about-the-high-end-olympus-cameras-it-is-an-omd/

I wonder when.....April do you think?

Phill D
27th December 2012, 10:32 AM
Definitely promising yes all but the price :(

ayewing
27th December 2012, 12:08 PM
Steve,
Maybe you need a full frame camera but the penalty is a bigger body and much bigger heavier lenses unless you take the Leica rangefinder route at great cost. Surely the sector of the market Olympus is aiming at is the smaller lighter but fully featured camera with matching high quality but compact lenses.

The recent advances in sensor technology have reduced the gap between FF and MFT. Of course the FF sensors are getting better too but the high end FF market aimed at professionals and advanced well heeled amateurs is pretty well served by Canon and Nikon. Olympus would struggle to compete whereas the success of the OM-D E-M5 shows that they can compete very effectively in the MFT market.

David M
27th December 2012, 12:40 PM
Olympus will never make a 35mm frame sensor. If they still have the tooling to build OM lenses they could start making some of those in EOS mount so Canon users don't have to adapt them.

Ulfric M Douglas
27th December 2012, 01:17 PM
I agree with this bit ;
I have given up with Olympus and all this will they, won't they? when? maybe next year. All this speculation ...
:( but NONE of the rest.

Chip size an issue? Not for me.
If I want full frame I'll simply buy a D600 & a lens, no drama to be had.
If I want Video I'll buy a used GH2. Solved.
Why should Olympus be expected to supply such thing?

crimbo
27th December 2012, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=Wreckdiver;205977.... If Olympus had developed the OM-D EM-5 for a full frame chip instead of persisting with the 4/3rds chip it would be wiping the floor with the Canikons right now.

A great shame because Olympus's lenses are world beating, shame the bodies can't match them.

Steve[/QUOTE]

but are the lenses not designed for 4/3?
Would those magnificent lenses work on a FF chip?
Wouldn't we need an adapter to allow the lenses to fit a larger mount?
Olympus made their bed and they will lie in it...hence the m4/3 rather than 4/3

DerekC
27th December 2012, 02:39 PM
mFT & OM-D maybe fine cameras and no doubt there will be new bodies to follow the OM-D.
Please people remember how you came to be on this forum!
You got to this forum, through Olympus's promise of a completely new system designed for Digital "The Olympus E-System". Nothing carried over everything new. The E-1 was marketed as a professional camera, to be updated by E-3 & 5 although slowly.
The glass is brilliant but the bodies have now sadly been left behind by the competition.
I have read much about how good the OM-D is I handled one at Focus but not for me.
I have never used a mFT as most of my photography is motorsport and steam railways. mFT & OM-D don't work with my 90-250. I'm not well heeled as "ayewing" would have you believe. I have saved hard for my photography and Olympus still may abandon the format. Time will tell.

Olympus keep trying to reinvent the wheel and we get suckered in.

I do hope Olympus build a proper body which will work with 4/3 glass I don't care if it 4/3, Full Frame as long as it is up to date and in line with the specs from Canon and Nikon.

Alpha1
27th December 2012, 04:25 PM
Well if all the speculation is eventually proved correct we can expect a significant improvement in the EVF viewfinder, which for me is already very good.

Maybe some of Sony's expertise in this area will be passed on to Olympus following their substantial investment in the company. I still use (rarely since I bought the OMD system!) a Sony A77 and a range of Sony G and Zeiss lenses.

I have sold my A900 full frame body since getting the OMD. So I write from experience as the A77's EVF is just phenomenal and the A99 is even better, I understand. So if the new Oly has something of this it will be terrific.....if it has a mixture of phase and contrast detect AF that will make it just perfect for me and my A77 plus lenses will also go to make room for it!

As for whether the OMD is "professional" or not......there are quite a few pro's using them!!:D

David Morison
27th December 2012, 06:20 PM
I bought the E-M5 based on reviews and reports but really only for the sensor and it's high ISO performance. I must admit that, although it produces superb images, ergonomically and in the AF department it has been a big (small) disappointment. I am really hoping a new camera with that sensor becomes available and that it is of a decent size, which will be better balanced with the 4/3 and other lenses. I am not hoping for much in the CAF area and now I have the Canon 7D for this I suppose it doesn't mean so much to me, but a few more assignable buttons that are of a decent size would be useful.

However I definitely won't be pre-ordering one until I have time to try it and with the rumoured 7DII on the horizon I may not go for an Olympus at all! The only things that keep me with the E-M5 is the sensor and my beloved Leica 14-150mm.

David

Ulfric M Douglas
27th December 2012, 08:04 PM
Well if all the speculation is eventually proved correct we can expect a significant improvement in the EVF viewfinder, which for me is already very good.

Maybe some of Sony's expertise in this area will be passed on to Olympus following their substantial investment in the company. I still use (rarely since I bought the OMD system!) a Sony A77 and a range of Sony G and Zeiss lenses.

I have sold my A900 full frame body since getting the OMD. So I write from experience as the A77's EVF is just phenomenal and the A99 is even better, I understand. So if the new Oly has something of this it will be terrific....
I hope not.
Sure, different folk have different eyes but I know I'm not alone in greatly preferring the EVFs in Olympus & Panasonics to the EVFs in current Sonys.
I've tried NEX7, A57, & A77 & found them too contrasty, too vivid and too glary in the colours. Give me even the old G1 EVF in preference.
Also : Sony EVF didn't 'shimmer' at the point of in-focus using manual focus. This is a useful if a bit cryptic feature of Oly/Pana EVFs.

andym
27th December 2012, 08:24 PM
didn't 'shimmer' at the point of in-focus using manual focus. This is a useful if a bit cryptic feature of Oly/Pana EVFs.

And there's me thinking I was the only one who'd noticed this.Works a treat,just like the microprism focus on my OM-1n.:eek::eek:

Nick Temple-Fry
27th December 2012, 10:18 PM
Also : Sony EVF didn't 'shimmer' at the point of in-focus using manual focus. This is a useful if a bit cryptic feature of Oly/Pana EVFs.

I suspect it is a diffraction pattern effect, caused by the increase in detail as you truly get into focus. Detail is greater than the viewfinder display can render - hence approximation and shimmer.

Though I agree with Andym that it's jolly useful. Lets hope that an evf with higher resolution doesn't lose this.

Nick

Rens
27th December 2012, 11:22 PM
If it's bigger than the E-M5 I'm not interested.

Rens

This looks promising! ;)

http://www.43rumors.com/more-info-about-the-high-end-olympus-cameras-it-is-an-omd/

I wonder when.....April do you think?

Ross the fiddler
28th December 2012, 03:32 AM
If it's bigger than the E-M5 I'm not interested.

Rens

Since the E-M5 is actually quite small but larger with the grip, if it is to be able to take the larger 4/3's lenses & be a 'Professional' model, then it needs to be bigger to accomodate the professionally sized buttons & controls & not be fiddly in getting to each of the buttons. Small is great for convenience & weight but some would want it a little bigger for that 'professional' use & it needs to be suitably large & robust enough to stand up to the full rigours of 'professional' use (but not as big as the E5) with such things as double memory cards etc. & larger battery for longer shooting times. The E-M5 is a little fragile in its design & is not meant to be at 'professional' level of robustness but great for those that want small (enough) & great features (including its retro styling) & output. Some may poo poo the GH3, but at least it is now more of a 'professional' model & rugged & usefull enough with all its offerings, but not for me, because I prefer Olympus's jpeg output & most of all, the 5 axis stabilisation.

Well, that's my opinion anyhow. ;)

StephenL
28th December 2012, 07:41 AM
As a lover of the E-M5, size and all, I still agree that any model designed to work with regular 4/3 lenses, especially the larger ones, does need to be of a size to balance them. Horses for courses, and all that!

ozzie
28th December 2012, 07:55 AM
Well I have been waiting to see if Olympus would update the omd , a smaller camera than the E5 weather proof that can focus my collection of hg/shg lenses as well as the e5 but still use micro lenses is exactly what I want evf as well. Can't come soon enough for me!
Bring it on
Cheers
John

OlyPaul
28th December 2012, 09:19 AM
Well I hope it is true for those that have hung onto their FT lenses.

But I suspect this is another of those smoke blowing exercises that Oly have been so good at over the last 3 years, or at the least it will not work quite as well with FT glass as we are being led to believe. I hope I am wrong.

Seonnaidh
28th December 2012, 10:03 AM
Whatever happens there will be those who applaud the new camera and those that don't.
Yesterday I had the chance to use my nephews Nikon D3200.
Sorry to say I was not impressed at all.

Zuiko
28th December 2012, 10:43 AM

But I suspect this is another of those smoke blowing exercises that Oly have been so good at over the last 3 years, or at the least it will not work quite as well with FT glass as we are being led to believe. I hope I am wrong.

Let's not forget that this is just a rumour. Rumours are entertaining but they do raise expectations, often without foundation and especially on timescales.

ozzie
28th December 2012, 10:56 AM

Paul
If Olympus can't deliver the camera body that can use both 4/3 and micro lenses with fast af then
Customers like me will go elsewhere for there next camera system.
I will wait till mid next year at the latest for my decision but I would love to see olympus develope the one perfect system
Can only live in hope

Rens
28th December 2012, 11:18 AM
As a lover of the E-M5, size and all, I still agree that any model designed to work with regular 4/3 lenses, especially the larger ones, does need to be of a size to balance them. Horses for courses, and all that!

A perfectly valid point of view, of course, as is Stephen's.

I'm looking at the OMD from a different point of view, however. With the kit 12-50 I can just get it in a Barbour jacket pocket, with the 9-18 I've just acquired I can do so easily (and I mostly like to use wide angle).

But I've given up on the idea of one camera to do everything. I still have my Nikon D700 plus decent lenses which I take out for the occasional shoots I'm asked to do (usually for free). I also use it for photographing the instruments I make; I find D700 images in some way special. So for the nearest I get to 'professional' use, I have the D700, for taking with me everywhere I have the E-M5.

Incidentally, it's most unlikely I'd have bought the D700 if I'd had the E-M5 first, I could never have justified the expense. In which case I'm pretty sure I'd have been happy with the E-M5 as my only camera. But since I've already spent the money some time ago and sort of written off the expense, I'm keeping the D700.

Hence my lack of interest in a larger OMD.

Season's greetings to all,

Rens

Zuiko
28th December 2012, 11:26 AM
Some want it large, others want it small, some want it to replicate full frame performance, others want it to compliment full frame performance. Olympus will never and cannot ever please everyone!

The thing on which we are all agreed, however (I think!) is for the need to improve focus tracking of moving subjects and to achieve this with regular Four Thirds lenses, too, would be highly desirable.

David Morison
28th December 2012, 12:16 PM
The thing on which we are all agreed, however (I think!) is for the need to improve focus tracking of moving subjects and to achieve this with regular Four Thirds lenses, too, would be highly desirable.

Hear, hear!!

But I don't believe it will happen, even if it is up to the E5 standard that is a long way off other market offerings.

David

Zuiko
28th December 2012, 12:20 PM
Hear, hear!!

But I don't believe it will happen, even if it is up to the E5 standard that is a long way off other market offerings.

David

Personally, for what I do, I'd be more than happy with E-5 focus tracking, but I appreciate why you need better for your type of photography, David.

Rens
28th December 2012, 01:02 PM
I've been thinking about this subject while out walking (with E-M5 and dog), and I'm wondering if there is in fact a place for a bigger OMD with bigger lenses. In my view the IQ of the E-M5 is good, some Oly magic there for me. But overall, not better than APS-C sensors, as in my previous Nikon D5100, and not as good as the D700 (I don't know about other FF cameras as I haven't used them).
It's virtues, along with good IQ, are it's neat size, good LV operation, and being a pleasure to use.

I haven't used an Oly E5, but I've had an E3. I ended up deciding it was neither really small and neat like my wife's Pany G1, nor had the IQ of a D700, so that it sort of fell between two stools.

If a new OMD is a mirrorless E5 with full size FT lenses, I fear it could fall into the same category, and wonder how big a market there would be for it. But an E-M5 size body that can accept both MFT and FT lenses would be much more interesting, though I can't see how they could do this.

Rens

StephenL
28th December 2012, 01:59 PM
.....but I would love to see Olympus develop the one perfect system

Now that would give them a USP for sure, if they could manage what no other camera maker in history has so far managed! :D

Zuiko
28th December 2012, 02:13 PM
The problem is that the "perfect system" is an impossible concept, because everyone's idea of perfection is different. For this reason manufacturers do not try for perfection but they do aim for mass appeal.

David M
28th December 2012, 02:15 PM
The Nikon D3200 must be the best camera ever the way Nikon Canada are advertising it on the TV constantly.

Rather amusingly Olympus have TV ads for the Pens with no mention of the OM-D.

Alpha1
13th February 2013, 11:14 AM
Wouldn't it be great if a new OM-D used on sensor phase detection AF? Both Sony and Fuji use this form of very accurate and lightning fast.

Our BIF problems would be a thing of the past!!

Ulfric M Douglas
13th February 2013, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't it be great if a new OM-D used on sensor phase detection AF? Both Sony and Fuji use this form of very accurate and lightning fast....
From what I have read It seems to be neither. Olympus & Panasonic CDAF is both faster and more reliable right now.
It also seems to require NEW lenses built with on-sensor-PD in mind.

The only good implementation is in the Nikon1 and that might have a lot to do with the small sensor.

Ross the fiddler
13th February 2013, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately, sometimes it's a case of "the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence" & if the other cameras were actually tried & compared to what we have, then it might not look (or be) as green as it appeared.

Alpha1
13th February 2013, 03:31 PM
The latest generation Fuji X100s and X20 will both have it.

Imageryone
13th February 2013, 04:22 PM
Reading through this thread, it appears that everyone wants the whole system to be robotic. Just generally point the camera and whammo you have a perfect result every time.

I may be old fashioned, but looking at the quality of work submitted to the forum, we can compete, and beat, any forum for any make in the world, and all this with equipment that is Slow, bad ISO, incorrect WB etc etc etc etc, all of which must just go to show that it must be the expertise of the members which is more important than any amount of technology.

How many other members know their equipment so well that they can set it up in the dark without using any lights? I have taught myself to be able to do this, simply because I wanted to know if I could :D

Stewart G
13th February 2013, 10:24 PM
I'll second this: "looking at the quality of work submitted to the forum..." Every time I noodle around in the image galleries my jaw just drops at the stunners that are lying all over the place. It's not like anyone is specifically saying "Here's my best!" but is more of a flood tide of good talent and beautiful pictures. I just can't get over it. And with such crappy cameras! :eek:
(p.s., that last bit was an attempt at a joke....)

Alpha1
14th February 2013, 08:46 AM
I'll second this: "looking at the quality of work submitted to the forum..." Every time I noodle around in the image galleries my jaw just drops at the stunners that are lying all over the place. It's not like anyone is specifically saying "Here's my best!" but is more of a flood tide of good talent and beautiful pictures. I just can't get over it. And with such crappy cameras! :eek:
(p.s., that last bit was an attempt at a joke....)

You are quite right of course. :rolleyes:

We should all be using plate camera's on large wooden tripods and all weighing a ton but which take beautiful photographs. ;)

Progress never stops, it just slows down sometimes.

ozzie
14th February 2013, 10:26 AM
I love my Olympus gear
I have been disappointed that olympus hasn't shown there hand as to where they are going with their system to give me an updated body to use my considerable collection of four thirds lenses .
I have all the Pro DSLR bodies and the EP1 and EP3.
The OMD is obviously a great Camera but it doesn't feel right to me it is not a camera with the solid feel of the E pro cameras .
If Olympus does produce a OMD Pro camera that can use both four thirds and micro four thirds lenses wih a grip option that gives some balance to large four thirds lenses then I can not see any reason that most four thirds users won't be happy.
My EP3 is ok but the E 3/5 just seems to give such a confendent feel and I get much better results from them .
So for me a OMD PRO body that can focus both lens systems with the same AF and a grip that can give size and battery power would be perfect.
It also would be to me the correct solution for olympus an upgrade for micro users and an option for four third users to use the great prime lenses micro has to offer
JUST DREAMING
Cheers

Tordan58
14th February 2013, 11:33 AM
How many other members know their equipment so well that they can set it up in the dark without using any lights? I have taught myself to be able to do this, simply because I wanted to know if I could :D
I learned the structure and location of options I use on my E-600 since the display is almost dead and most often shows nothing but a grey background.
/Tord

Ian
14th February 2013, 12:00 PM
The latest generation Fuji X100s and X20 will both have it.

The X-Pro range of Fuji mirrorless cameras, which are newer than the X100 abd X20, don't have on-sensor PDAF.

Ian

benvendetta
14th February 2013, 01:45 PM
I love my Olympus gear
I have been disappointed that olympus hasn't shown there hand as to where they are going with their system to give me an updated body to use my considerable collection of four thirds lenses .
I have all the Pro DSLR bodies and the EP1 and EP3.
The OMD is obviously a great Camera but it doesn't feel right to me it is not a camera with the solid feel of the E pro cameras .
If Olympus does produce a OMD Pro camera that can use both four thirds and micro four thirds lenses wih a grip option that gives some balance to large four thirds lenses then I can not see any reason that most four thirds users won't be happy.
My EP3 is ok but the E 3/5 just seems to give such a confendent feel and I get much better results from them .
So for me a OMD PRO body that can focus both lens systems with the same AF and a grip that can give size and battery power would be perfect.
It also would be to me the correct solution for olympus an upgrade for micro users and an option for four third users to use the great prime lenses micro has to offer
JUST DREAMING
Cheers

Totally agree with most of the above. For a time I was wanting an OM-D but have gone off the idea due to the limitations of its use with my existing 43 glass. On the other hand, the end of the year should bring the body that may, at last, replace my E-3.

OM USer
14th February 2013, 04:33 PM
Some want it large, others want it small...

But didn't Oly actually have that in their E-x, E-xx, E-xxx lineup? The E-5 was too big for me; the E-620 was much more the size I wanted. This 3 model grouping seemed to cater for everyone its just that they stopped it.

When I decided to go "digital" the choice was between the E-620 and the E-M5. The E-620 had the better lenses (12-60mm and 50-200mm; anything better out of my price range and too heavy), the E-M5 had the better body (sensor, IBIS, rear screen, SD card, etc). With no prospect of a new E-xxx but the potential fo new MFT lenses I went for the E-M5. Still waiting for that killer zoom lens from Olympus though.

Alpha1
16th August 2013, 07:02 PM
There is a lot of internet traffic concerning the new "high end" cameras from Olympus due to be launched this coming September. The 15th seems to be the preferred date, although Olympus Uk are running several local days throughout that week.

Both an E-5 and E-M1 are reputed to be launched but the specs of the E-M1 are looking good, if they are right!!
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51742527

Alpha1
17th August 2013, 10:51 AM
More info coming in all the time now:
http://m43blog.com/is-this-olympus-om-d-e-m1/

Also:http://m43blog.com/this-is-how-olympus-om-d-e-m1-will-exceed-iq-of-e-m5/

The PDAF (Phase detect AF off sensor) feature could even solve our BIF problems!! Apparently Sony have collaborated with Oly on a completely new sensor with improved resolution over the E-M5.

Exciting stuff if it's good as the words say! I also like the separate WB feature.

brian1208
17th August 2013, 11:05 AM
ISO 100, 1/8000th shutter speed , same batteries as the EM-5, combined Phase / contrast detection focusing - that would do me for starters, here's hoping :)

(and a nice new 200mm 2.8 would be nice too)

David Morison
17th August 2013, 04:34 PM
It all sounds very exciting and I have the cash ready, since my son has repaid a loan, but having made an impulsive decision to purchase the EM5 as soon as it was announced and been disappointed on the BIF/CAF tracking front, I will be waiting for a few months until the real reviews appear!

David

Zuiko
17th August 2013, 06:59 PM
It all sounds very exciting and I have the cash ready, since my son has repaid a loan, but having made an impulsive decision to purchase the EM5 as soon as it was announced and been disappointed on the BIF/CAF tracking front, I will be waiting for a few months until the real reviews appear!

David

Better still, wait until Ian has some hire stock and try one for a weekend. :)

Graham_of_Rainham
17th August 2013, 10:26 PM
Better still, wait until Ian has some hire stock and try one for a weekend. :)

OR: We could have an e-group get together Here (http://papermillapsley.co.uk/), ask Ian really nicely, treat Ian & Julia to lunch, etc..*chr

benvendetta
18th August 2013, 07:46 AM
Could be my retirement present to myself next Summer

David Morison
18th August 2013, 08:49 AM
I am assuming that, irrespective of how the new camera deals with AF on 4/3 lenses, a 4/3 to M4/3 adapter will be needed? I wonder if this will have to be an entirely new article or will the existing adapters work?

David

George Dorn
18th August 2013, 10:11 AM
Any adapter ought to be bundled, or offered... wouldn't it?

Zuiko
18th August 2013, 12:00 PM
I am assuming that, irrespective of how the new camera deals with AF on 4/3 lenses, a 4/3 to M4/3 adapter will be needed? I wonder if this will have to be an entirely new article or will the existing adapters work?

David

Existing adapters should work, after all they are only mecahnical spacers.

Zuiko
18th August 2013, 12:02 PM
Any adapter ought to be bundled, or offered... wouldn't it?

Yes, but this is Olympus we are talking about - a hood with the lenses would be nice, too! :D

Invicta
18th August 2013, 12:56 PM
Can I post this?

http://www.engadget.com/video/5min/517895409/

brian1208
18th August 2013, 01:21 PM
Oh, how I hope this video isn't a spoof! :)

wellyboot
18th August 2013, 01:25 PM
Can I post this?

http://www.engadget.com/video/5min/517895409/

I have to say, I wasn't expecting this for a few weeks yet!! Thank you for posting!
Sounds good, but looks more like a 4/3rds Olympus body. Too big for me I think so as they say on Dragons Den - "I'm out"!!
I'm sure it will excite a lot of folk though, especially the original Olympus 4/3rds users. My husband still has his lenses, so I've sent him the link in case he could be tempted back from Nikon!!

wellyboot
18th August 2013, 01:26 PM
Oh, how I hope this video isn't a spoof! :)

Do you think it could be Brian? It looks pretty convincing, and certainly had me fooled if it is a spoof!! :confused:

brian1208
18th August 2013, 01:52 PM
Do you think it could be Brian? It looks pretty convincing, and certainly had me fooled if it is a spoof!! :confused:

It is very convincing, there was just something about the presenter and the way he seemed shy of showing himself made me wonder

That, and the old saying, if it looks too good it probably is

But - I do hope I'm wrong and it is correct - 'cos I want one *chr

crimbo
18th August 2013, 02:34 PM
Okay...
Ian...is this true or
Or may we think it is, but you could not possibly comment!

crimbo
18th August 2013, 03:20 PM
must have been real...video appears to have gone!!!!

Anne
18th August 2013, 03:44 PM
I couldn't see a video either...so what was it showing?

crimbo
18th August 2013, 04:19 PM
http://cyleow.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/olympus-om-d-e-m1-leaked.html

Several sites have grabbed or passed around these stills.
But there is still a lot to learn
Pricing at $1500 or 1500euro

Nick Temple-Fry
18th August 2013, 05:41 PM
It is very convincing, there was just something about the presenter and the way he seemed shy of showing himself made me wonder

That, and the old saying, if it looks too good it probably is

But - I do hope I'm wrong and it is correct - 'cos I want one *chr

Well there is a Rick Sasserath at Public Relation in Olympus America (according to LinkedIn), and he resembles both his LinkedIn and FaceBook profile pictures (if you assume that it's him on the IS section at the end). Though both profile pictures show a tad more hair.

Nick

Anne
18th August 2013, 06:00 PM
I've managed to see the video now, linked to another thread on here. It looks pretty good....if this is genuine :)

jamsa
18th August 2013, 06:11 PM
Post the link here please too

David M
18th August 2013, 06:21 PM
I wonder if woodworkers get as excited as some of you are when someone hints at a soon to be released new hammer.

snaarman
18th August 2013, 06:51 PM
I wonder if woodworkers get as excited as some of you are when someone hints at a soon to be released new hammer.

Duh, yes... :)

brian1208
18th August 2013, 06:56 PM
soon to be released new hammer.

Hammer no, plane - oh yes :D

Phill D
18th August 2013, 07:17 PM
The video is still there if you follow enough of the links. Looks pretty good if this is real. Hope it is, but something just looks a bit prototypish to me. Note he said focusses 4/3ds almost as fast?

Graham_of_Rainham
18th August 2013, 07:19 PM
Olympus OM D E M1 - YouTube

Invicta
18th August 2013, 07:54 PM

Duh, yes... :)

I am sure they do :D

1) Addition of new anti-vibration technology (H-IS), to improve comfort when hammering all day.

2) A new hammer tacker with improved frames nailed per second

3) New designed multi-head that works equally well with old fashioned nails as well as the new fancy micro-nails.

Graham_of_Rainham
18th August 2013, 11:37 PM

See for yourself (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/hand-tools.html)

*chr

Ross the fiddler
19th August 2013, 12:13 AM
The compressed video created some less clear details which may have contributed to some comments about it's finish.

I really like this & wish & hope I could have one with another lens (fast zoom) to use along side my E-M5. I won't be able to though, unless I were to win a lottery which I don't buy anyhow. But, just as luck could have it ( ;) ), I'm receiving a lottery ticket with some software I've ordered. Now it would be so funny if I were to win. Guess what I will buy if I do? ;)

Alpha1
19th August 2013, 07:59 AM
Well all the video links seem to have disappeared this morning! After a busy week-end away from my desk, I must be the only person in the world not to have seen it!!

I mentioned the E-M1 to my son-in-law who uses both an OMD E-M5 and a Nikon D800 (rarely now since he acquired the OMD!) and he was rather jaundiced about the possibility of phase detect AF as he reckons that his OMD focus's far more accurately than his D800! But then he doesn't use very long zoom lenses or is interested so much in fast action and definitely not BIF!

I think that the new camera will have a combination of both contrast and phase off chip AF. Oly are known to have collaborated with Sony on the design of this camera and I have a great deal of respect for Sony camera designs.

Sony developed EVF technology for their DSLR's and I extensively used their A77 with EVF alongside an A900 with optical VF in Botswana for wildlife and I was able to get shots of wild life in near darkness with the A77 that the A900 just could nor see at all let alone lock on focus. All due to the light gain features of their EVF and focus assist light.

The combination of Sony and Olympus brings together a vast experience of electronic and optical experience dating back to the Minolta cameras of the past and what an innovative camera brand they were. Many Minolta designers are still alive and well and working at Sony! Olympus are similarly blessed. What a team! *chr

David Morison
19th August 2013, 08:08 AM
A question that begs to be asked is that will the advantages of PDAF be available when using M4/3 lenses or only 4/3 lenses or will a combination of CDAF and PDAF be used on all lenses?

David

Wee man
19th August 2013, 08:24 AM
I have not seen this either still waiting for official release.

StephenL
19th August 2013, 09:27 AM
It almost looks like a spoof to me!

Zuiko
19th August 2013, 10:36 AM
See for yourself (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/hand-tools.html)

*chr

I didn't have to look very far before I found this thread (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/mujingfang-mini-ebony-plane-t72616.html) about the Mujingfang Mini Ebony Plane. Oh, the joy of forums! :D

Zuiko
19th August 2013, 10:39 AM
The compressed video created some less clear details which may have contributed to some comments about it's finish.

I really like this & wish & hope I could have one with another lens (fast zoom) to use along side my E-M5. I won't be able to though, unless I were to win a lottery which I don't buy anyhow. But, just as luck could have it ( ), I'm receiving a lottery ticket with some software I've ordered. Now it would be so funny if I were to win.Guess what I will buy if I do? ;)

Ten dozen business class return flights so we can all come to visit? :D *chr

brian1208
19th August 2013, 10:40 AM
its what I said, Hammers no but Planes - Oh Yes *yes

Zuiko
19th August 2013, 10:45 AM

It was your comment that prompted me to open that thread! :D *chr

snaarman
19th August 2013, 10:52 AM

I'm quite intrigued by all this and thought I would try plane spotting. It seems to be popular.

I've been looking out of the window for quite a while now and not seen one at all, nor is there much probability of seeing one. This is a rubbish hobby.

Ross the fiddler
19th August 2013, 11:06 AM
Ten dozen business class return flights so we can all come to visit? :D *chr

Nice wish! :rolleyes:

George Dorn
19th August 2013, 01:08 PM
I'm quite intrigued by all this and thought I would try plane spotting. It seems to be popular.

I've been looking out of the window for quite a while now and not seen one at all, nor is there much probability of seeing one. This is a rubbish hobby.

Yard not even enough, Pete?

Alpha1
19th August 2013, 06:51 PM
Well hopefully the new Oly will be just great for PIF! ;)

Oh, should I have interpreted that...(Planes in Flight:D)

StephenL
19th August 2013, 07:01 PM
Well hopefully the new Oly will be just great for PIF! ;)

Oh, should I have interpreted that...(Planes in Flight:D)

Sorry, thought you meant Pigs in Flight :D

Phill D
19th August 2013, 08:10 PM
Whilst you've all been spotting planes the videos have all gone. So does that mean it was real or not :confused:

OM USer
19th August 2013, 10:25 PM
I think I must be the last person in the country to see the clip as I've just hunted around for a link that still works. What I liked was the menu system in the app. Touch the ISO setting that is displayed at the bottom of the screen and up pops a window to change the ISO setting (touch the ISO setting you want), touch the aperture setting displayed at the bottom screen and up pops a window to change the aperture (touch the one you want), touch the shutter speed displayed at the bottom of the screen... you get the idea. Why isn't it this easy on the touch screen on my E-M5 which also displays the settings along the bottom of the screen.

Alpha1
20th August 2013, 07:36 AM
Here is another set of rumored Olympus E-M1 specifications:

New DSLR type grip
16MP sensor
81 AF target points
10 fps
Built-in Wi-Fi
Flash sync speed: 1/320s
ISO range: 200-25600
Shutter speed: 1/8000s-60s
3" tiltable TFT LCD touch screen
EVF with 2,360,000 pixels
Micro Four Thirds mount only (not a hybrid mount)
Weight: 430g | 0.9Ib
Dimensions (WxHxD): 122mm 68mm 37mm | 4.8" 2.7" 1.5"

Ross the fiddler
20th August 2013, 10:48 AM
Here is another set of rumored Olympus E-M1 specifications:

New DSLR type grip
16MP sensor
81 AF target points
10 fps
Built-in Wi-Fi
Flash sync speed: 1/320s
ISO range: 200-25600
Shutter speed: 1/8000s-60s
3" tiltable TFT LCD touch screen
EVF with 2,360,000 pixels
Micro Four Thirds mount only (not a hybrid mount)
Weight: 430g | 0.9Ib
Dimensions (WxHxD): 122mm 68mm 37mm | 4.8" 2.7" 1.5"

The dimensions are way off, so I wouldn't put too much faith in these specs & the latest leaks indicated it was 9 fps. Maybe the rest is correct.

Ross the fiddler
20th August 2013, 11:00 AM
I think I must be the last person in the country to see the clip as I've just hunted around for a link that still works. What I liked was the menu system in the app. Touch the ISO setting that is displayed at the bottom of the screen and up pops a window to change the ISO setting (touch the ISO setting you want), touch the aperture setting displayed at the bottom screen and up pops a window to change the aperture (touch the one you want), touch the shutter speed displayed at the bottom of the screen... you get the idea. Why isn't it this easy on the touch screen on my E-M5 which also displays the settings along the bottom of the screen.

It's even better, because you bring up the Super Control Panel by pressing the [OK] button & the [Info] key toggles the SCP that is touch selective (& adjusting the values by the control dials) with Live Control that isn't.

OM USer
20th August 2013, 12:45 PM
It's even better, because you bring up the Super Control Panel by pressing the [OK] button & the [Info] key toggles the SCP that is touch selective (& adjusting the values by the control dials) with Live Control that isn't.

I do use the SCP, but the only bit you can use the touch screen for is to select which setting you want to modify and even then you have to hit the OK button to confirm the selection. You can not use the touch screen to select a value. The SCP should fill the screen, be a little more desriptive, and have a few more items in it like burst mode, bracketing, and myset recall.

David Morison
20th August 2013, 05:53 PM
p cho bc,gip em vi lon bia heineken (http://vn.news.yahoo.com/ng%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Di-h%C3%A2m-m%E1%BB%99-bia-heineken-b%C3%B9ng-n%E1%BB%95-c%C3%B9ng-222544289.html) nh bc.Chc bc khỏe v đắt hng!

Say again!

StephenL
20th August 2013, 06:05 PM
I've reported this spammer before, to no avail!

PeterBirder
20th August 2013, 06:46 PM
For what it's worth the language is Vietnamese.

I've sent a PM to Zuiko asking if he can do something about the spammer.

Ulfric M Douglas
20th August 2013, 06:57 PM
Hey Joon, post your Heineken photos in a new thread!
;)

Now, back to the E-M1,
who'd like to place bets as to exactly when we'll see a proper user (not shill) test of the 12-60 on it?
Because in my mind that's the acid test for 'old' Olympus DSLRers.

David Morison
20th August 2013, 07:35 PM
Since the first, more definitive rumours came about the E-M1 I've been wondering if I really need it. OK I've been pretty critical of several aspects of the E-M5 since I first got one, but having used it now for well over a year I have become used to most of it's shortcomings. However there is one which I could never accept - the inability to AF on a fast and erratic flying bird. Because of this I went over to the dark side and bought a Canon 7D and EF400mm f5.6 which was, and still is, a revelation in AF of these subject types. The problem is that when out I have to carry two outfits, the Canon and the E-M5, because I need to be constantly ready to photograph mobile birds but also have the wherewithal to do landscape and macro as well. So if the E-M1 will do BIF as well as the Canon (which I very much doubt) then it's the one for me. Otherwise the ability to fast AF with 4/3 lenses is not a good enough reason to shell out the extra grand, as I only have two 4/3 lenses left and these are mainly used for landscapes and are generally manually focused. Let's see what happens when the real reviews start appearing - I have high (but diminishing) hopes, but this is really down to my need to get a new shiny toy!

David

Zuiko
20th August 2013, 08:02 PM
Regarding the spammer, I've banned him and removed his post from this thread.

George Dorn
20th August 2013, 08:08 PM
...who'd like to place bets as to exactly when we'll see a proper user (not shill) test of the 12-60 on it?
Because in my mind that's the acid test for 'old' Olympus DSLRers.

Bang on the button! That's what will make the deal for me, access to the good 4/3 standard primes. Provided the body is not smaller than it looked.

Ross the fiddler
20th August 2013, 10:12 PM
Whilst you've all been spotting planes the videos have all gone. So does that mean it was real or not :confused:

I think I must be the last person in the country to see the clip as I've just hunted around for a link that still works.

That's why you need to save it as soon as you see it. ;)

Ross the fiddler
20th August 2013, 10:26 PM
I do use the SCP, but the only bit you can use the touch screen for is to select which setting you want to modify and even then you have to hit the OK button to confirm the selection. You can not use the touch screen to select a value. The SCP should fill the screen, be a little more desriptive, and have a few more items in it like burst mode, bracketing, and myset recall.

:confused: I only use the [OK] button to bring up the SCP & touch the item I want to adjust, turn the front wheel to adjust the value (as the back one will move to the next function in the SCP), then keep shooting with that value operational. Pressing [OK] again will open up that selection but it isn't necessary to press it again (except to get back to the home screen) because pressing the shutter button half way will do the same as it does from the SCP.

I do agree that "bracketing, and myset recall" would be very useful to have there, but Drive Mode is already there if that's what you mean by "burst mode".

Alpha1
25th August 2013, 08:13 AM
Latest piccies of E-M1 and 12-40 F2.8 lens:

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1649/oscar210_5_olympus-_c188efbde2debde6f90fd9f3e23ee065ori.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1649/oscar210_5_olympus-_442e41fc8a3221fdea7f68ec2b26d963ori.jpg

http://www.e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1649/oscar210_5_olympus-_67ab9bfb7621537f18f5d6beab580931ori.jpg

Also rumoured is a new Oly mZuiko 35-100 F2.0 lens. Now we are really cooking!

jamsa
25th August 2013, 08:19 AM
Well done on getting the pics up.. Thanks. Just wondering what the EM1 will cost?

OlyPaul
25th August 2013, 08:31 AM
Now that looks more impressive than other images I have seen, thanks for posting.:)

You think Oly would just let it go now and let the details out as it is all out there now anyway, unless the leaking is a marketing ploy.;)

George Dorn
25th August 2013, 09:19 AM
I love the way the roundel on the left of the top plate looks like a film rewind handle! My right thumb still twitches after every shot as it is.

brian1208
25th August 2013, 09:27 AM
Camera Porn - mustn't look! :D

Alpha1
25th August 2013, 11:21 AM
Well done on getting the pics up.. Thanks. Just wondering what the EM1 will cost?

The pics were 'lifted' from an oriental web site but they look genuine. The widely reported price is $1500 but I would expect Oly to beat that if they can, given the Panasonic SX7 etc. competition.

As always prices come down after the first wave of fan-buying. Although the E m-5 prices have held up really well for UK stock. As usual the 'grey' imports are cheaper.

andym
25th August 2013, 12:22 PM
I must say the finish on the body looks much more like the E5, a bit mottled.Hopefully there won't be any peeling paint with this.:D:D:D

Graham_of_Rainham
25th August 2013, 01:51 PM
<snip>Hopefully there won't be any peeling paint with this.:D:D:D

I've often wondered why we are happy to buy "distressed" jeans and in some cases pay more for them, but want out "tech" to be pristine. :confused:

I'd quite like a camera to have an "aged" look:
It would look like it's been used "Professionally"
Looking old and worn out it's less likely to be stolen
It would suit my personal appearance :o

*chr

David M
25th August 2013, 02:09 PM
Distressed equipment can be a good buy if it's a tool you use, not a piece of jewelry you wear.

snaarman
25th August 2013, 03:22 PM
Oooh dear me that does look good. I'm going to stop looking at it.

In a minute.

StephenL
25th August 2013, 03:27 PM
Wonder if it comes in Silver? That would be the real clincher for me ....

Graham_of_Rainham
25th August 2013, 03:34 PM
Certainly something that Santa will need to have a good stock of...;)

Invicta
25th August 2013, 04:29 PM
Latest piccies of E-M1 and 12-40 F2.8 lens:

Also rumoured is a new Oly mZuiko 35-100 F2.0 lens. Now we are really cooking!

I held off buying the two Panasonic "X" zoom lens in the hope that Olympus would produce some high-end zooms. I do hope these rumours are true.

I don't have any reason to buy an EM1 but some high-end zooms would tempt me.

David Morison
25th August 2013, 06:12 PM
Distressed equipment can be a good buy if it's a tool you use, not a piece of jewelry you wear.

Well said!!

Grumpy Hec
25th August 2013, 06:34 PM
Wonder if it comes in Silver? That would be the real clincher for me ....

Just what I was thinking

OM USer
25th August 2013, 07:00 PM
The combo does look good but I'm not keen on the deep grip (don't even use the grip for the E-M5 although I know others are of the opposite opinion). Still if they can produce "pro" spec lenses for native MFT then I have no need for FT lenses and the E-M1. I'll happily wait for a few years for the E-M5 replacement rather than go up (to E-M1) or down (to OM-D lite).

snaarman
25th August 2013, 07:30 PM
I'm not looking. I'm not listening. I'm not working out if the company might award a bonus this Autumn. La la la not listening..... :mad:

benvendetta
25th August 2013, 07:37 PM
Just what I was thinking

My guess is that it will only available in black. This would suit me.

Ross the fiddler
25th August 2013, 09:41 PM
My guess is that it will only available in black. This would suit me.

That would be my guess too. Now, it wasn't what I ate last night, but I think I have an attack of GAS. ;)

ayewing
26th August 2013, 03:05 PM
That would be my guess too. Now, it wasn't what I ate last night, but I think I have an attack of GAS. ;)
Probably the start of an epidemic.

Alpha1
26th August 2013, 07:06 PM
........and no known cures!! *zzz

Phill D
26th August 2013, 07:47 PM
Well only a temporary one!!!

Phill D
26th August 2013, 08:27 PM
Just found an antidote to GAS.
Rumoured EM-1 prices
Body only = $1500, EM-1 + 12-40 =~$2200, EM-1 + 12-50 =~$1800
Hope that doesn't translate to equivalent prices in £s :(

Nick Temple-Fry
26th August 2013, 08:41 PM
Just found an antidote to GAS.
Rumoured EM-1 prices
Body only = $1500, EM-1 + 12-40 =~$2200, EM-1 + 12-50 =~$1800
Hope that doesn't translate to equivalent prices in s :(

No it'll be 1500 + vat, so 1800. They'll add on another 17.99 because no one uses round figures.

Nick

Phill D
26th August 2013, 09:37 PM
Well if it's that high expect some 4/3's glass on the market soon unless I gain some patience and wait for price drops.

jamsa
26th August 2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks Olympus..... Out of my price league.... And then time to ditch m4/3 if that is the price here

Nick Temple-Fry
26th August 2013, 11:30 PM
No it'll be 1500 + vat, so 1800. They'll add on another 17.99 because no one uses round figures.

Nick

Given the last couple of posts maybe I should have used some smilies :eek: :rolleyes: *sob *clap:)

Nick

Ross the fiddler
27th August 2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks Olympus..... Out of my price league.... And then time to ditch m4/3 if that is the price here

That might be out of your price league because it is a Pro outfit, but there are a whole range of M4/3's Olympus cameras (as well as Panasonic) available now & also the E-M5 replacement (as this E-M1 isn't) is expected to be released next year (& would be cheaper than the E-M1 Pro camera). It is quite likely to have the same sensor as the E-M1 with the PD-AF on sensor feature which benefits 4/3's lenses (as well as M4/3's) & I would imagine will find it's way into the rest of the PENs too.

Also, those prices are only a guesstimate!

benvendetta
27th August 2013, 06:00 AM

You don't have to buy it!

Zuiko
27th August 2013, 08:54 AM
You don't have to buy it!

I do sympathize with existing 4/3 users who only want an affordable upgrade on which to use their existing lenses.

Kiwi Paul
27th August 2013, 10:25 AM
Just wait till the camera is released then you will know the real price, I can't believe folk are taking all the speculation so seriously.

Paul

Graham_of_Rainham
27th August 2013, 11:16 AM
Just wait till the camera is released then you will know the real price, I can't believe folk are taking all the speculation so seriously.

Paul

Where's the fun in that :D We are never going to turn this forum into a "rumor fest" so speculation is an alternative route to releasing all the frustrations... ;)

Never let facts get in the way of a good story.
*chr

Wally
27th August 2013, 11:32 AM
- Never let facts get in the way of a good story.
*chr

My thoughts precisely and although I like a good story I'm quite happy with my 'old fsahioned' gear - e20 through to the ep-3.

Kiwi Paul
27th August 2013, 02:22 PM
Where's the fun in that :D We are never going to turn this forum into a "rumor fest" so speculation is an alternative route to releasing all the frustrations... ;)

Never let facts get in the way of a good story.
*chr

Oh i agree but it seems some folks are taking some of the speculations as fact or not far from it :-)

Mind you on others forums i've seen comments berating Oly because of the speculated specs of the new camera.......which hasn't been released yet :o

Paul

snaarman
27th August 2013, 02:59 PM
but it seems some folks are taking some of the speculations as fact
Paul

Speculation? Speculation! I thought it had been released. I've sent my money off and everything :(

Graham_of_Rainham
27th August 2013, 03:43 PM
Speculation? Speculation! I thought it had been released. I've sent my money off and everything :(

Whatever NEX... :D

Ian
27th August 2013, 05:04 PM
Well, how about that - a teaser ad campaign :D

Ian

OM USer
27th August 2013, 06:19 PM
That might be out of your price league because it is a Pro outfit...

I do sympathize with existing 4/3 users who only want an affordable upgrade on which to use their existing lenses.

Surely any any "pro" camera capable of replacing (perhaps 'substituting for' should be a better choice of words) the E5 would be priced at "E5+" levels; and it has been. If there had been an E7 what would that have cost?

...also the E-M5 replacement (as this E-M1 isn't) is expected to be released next year (& would be cheaper than the E-M1 Pro camera).

Oh, I expected the next camera (after the E-M1 that is) to be the low end OM-D coming in under the E-M5 in specification and not a E-M5 replacement. All rumours of course but a low end OM-D has been mentioned by Olympus.

Alpha1
27th August 2013, 07:26 PM
These prices for the E M-1 are leaked on several US web sites:

Olympus E-M1 Camera Body Only (with BCL-1580) – JPY ¥145,000 – USD $1,450
Olympus E-M1 Camera Body with 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 Lens - JPY ¥170,000 - USD $1,700
Olympus E-M1 Camera Body with 12-40mm F2.8 Lens - JPY ¥220,000 - USD $2,200
HLD-7 Battery Grip - JPY ¥20,000 – USD $200
PT-EP11 underwater housing - JPY ¥100,000 - USD $1,000
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO lens - JPY ¥90,000 - USD $900

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these figures, so don't shoot the messenger!

Compared with launch prices of the E M-5 they look about right to me, given the higher pro-spec. Lower would be preferred of course!

Ross the fiddler
27th August 2013, 09:59 PM
These prices for the E M-1 are leaked on several US web sites:

Olympus E-M1 Camera Body Only (with BCL-1580) – JPY ¥145,000 – USD $1,450
Olympus E-M1 Camera Body with 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 Lens - JPY ¥170,000 - USD $1,700
Olympus E-M1 Camera Body with 12-40mm F2.8 Lens - JPY ¥220,000 - USD $2,200
HLD-7 Battery Grip - JPY ¥20,000 – USD $200
PT-EP11 underwater housing - JPY ¥100,000 - USD $1,000
Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO lens - JPY ¥90,000 - USD $900

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of these figures, so don't shoot the messenger!

Compared with launch prices of the E M-5 they look about right to me, given the higher pro-spec. Lower would be preferred of course!

They were what I referred to as guesstimate prices (for outside of Japan). Announcement day will probably be when the real prices are revealed in the US & maybe the UK, but Australia usually waits a while later before announcing their prices.

I guess the game of patience (not the card game) can be a difficult one. :rolleyes: ;)

David M
27th August 2013, 10:15 PM
It's a pro camera, it's got to be expensive to get pros to buy it.

After all I'm using a state of the art Lumix L1 to shoot the new company brochure.

Ross the fiddler
27th August 2013, 10:34 PM
Well, how about that - a teaser ad campaign :D

Ian

Now, I wonder what's under the covers? ;) It's a bit like seeing our own Christmas presents being wrapped beforehand & on the day look pleasantly surprised. :O :) Still, I get the feeling not has all been revealed yet, I hope. *erm ;)

Ross the fiddler
27th August 2013, 10:38 PM
Oh, I expected the next camera (after the E-M1 that is) to be the low end OM-D coming in under the E-M5 in specification and not a E-M5 replacement. All rumours of course but a low end OM-D has been mentioned by Olympus.

Maybe.... :rolleyes: :D

Alpha1
28th August 2013, 06:47 AM
Like Ian, I believe this is a deliberate "leak" pre-launch campaign!

The info is carefully planted at 3/4 day intervals in different parts of the world and with no official retractions. Some say it is building up to a launch in mid September......15th September?

It is very clever if you think about it....it costs nothing compared to a very expensive ad campaign! Let the forums and rumour blogs do the pre-launch marketing. Great stuff.

Alpha1
30th August 2013, 07:46 AM
I have just read one of the numerous rumour sites which indicated that phase detect AF would only be available for Zuiko 4/3 lenses which are designed for Phase detect AF. :confused:

http://www.echenique.com/?p=2172

If this is right then users of mZuiko lenses will be no better off! :(

Very early days yet, but at the moment that would be a show stopper for me!

If I had to buy 4/3 lenses which would put the bulk and weight of my gear up just to more easily get action shots, then I would seriously consider going back to a DSLR instead. There are some very good smaller DSLR's around now.

David Morison
30th August 2013, 08:02 AM
I have just read one of the numerous rumour sites which indicated that phase detect AF would only be available for Zuiko 4/3 lenses which are designed for Phase detect AF. :confused:

If I had to buy 4/3 lenses which would put the bulk and weight of my gear up just to more easily get action shots, then I would seriously consider going back to a DSLR instead. There are some very good smaller DSLR's around now.

Yes this is worrying me too!

George Dorn
30th August 2013, 08:07 AM
4/3 Rumours are saying the opposite:

"Contrast and Phase detection AF will (or can?) work simultaneously on both FT and MFT lenses."

Roll on the 15th!

OlyPaul
30th August 2013, 08:24 AM

I doubt this is the case and if you just go through the official Olympus business docs for 2013 you will see that all extra revenue and resources from shutting down/reducing the compact division is to go all into MFT (not FT. that is a false hope still harboured by a few).

So to produce a MFT camera that does not offer better AF and speed for MFT and is just a sop to FT owners would be self defeating and against there own plans to make MFT there priority in the camera division.

StephenL
30th August 2013, 08:28 AM
Whilst reading rumours can be fun, they are just that - rumours.

How anyone can take rumours seriously beats me!

snaarman
30th August 2013, 08:37 AM
Rumours?

Pah! I've been using a prototype E-M1 for a few days. (I'm surprised no-one spotted it in the EXIF).

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/614/Costa_college.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/64843)

Rens
30th August 2013, 08:39 AM
If phase detect AF works well, it could be that not only m4/3 bodies but also forthcoming m4/3 lenses move over to it. This could be the solution to the large box (even at its smallest size) the EM-5 offers for spot focusing and should give better CAF focusing. And then it wouldn't be necessary to use bulkier 4/3 lenses plus adaptor.

But it could mean that present m4/3 lenses would become obsolete. Not an incentive to invest in more lenses right now.

I was considering adding to my very limited selection but will hold off; buying a body that will become obsolete is unavoidable, but expensive lenses can be justified (to myself) only if they have a life well into the future.

Of course it may be that m4/3 bodies will continue to support both AF systems for many years to come. But if PD AF takes off, it's my guess CD AF will be phased out.

Chevvyf1
30th August 2013, 08:40 AM
Whilst reading rumours can be fun, they are just that - rumours.

How anyone can take rumours seriously beats me!

Stephen, :D I have the flogging birch in my hands ... where are you :cool: :cool: :cool:

ps I could wear black leather (motorcycle knee,elbow & back padded suit ) :eek:

StephenL
30th August 2013, 08:42 AM
Stephen, :D I have the flogging birch in my hands ... where are you :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ooo err, missus! :eek:

Graham_of_Rainham
30th August 2013, 09:05 AM

Ooo err, missus! :eek:

You don't get deviation like this on the CaNiKoN sites... :eek:

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 09:09 AM
Rumours?

Pah! I've been using a prototype E-M1 for a few days. (I'm surprised no-one spotted it in the EXIF).

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/614/Costa_college.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/64843)

Who says the EXIF never lies? :D

Mind you, in a way it doesn't because it still shows a focal length of 4.1mm (39mm equivalent) :p

Nevertheless, I bet we're not a million miles from someone who is using one....

OlyPaul
30th August 2013, 09:10 AM

That because it's a niche site and everyone knows that people with niche interests are the most free thinking.;)

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 09:13 AM

Now THAT I would PAY to photograph! :D

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 09:19 AM
If phase detect AF works well, it could be that not only m4/3 bodies but also forthcoming m4/3 lenses move over to it. This could be the solution to the large box (even at its smallest size) the EM-5 offers for spot focusing and should give better CAF focusing. And then it wouldn't be necessary to use bulkier 4/3 lenses plus adaptor.

But it could mean that present m4/3 lenses would become obsolete. Not an incentive to invest in more lenses right now.

I was considering adding to my very limited selection but will hold off; buying a body that will become obsolete is unavoidable, but expensive lenses can be justified (to myself) only if they have a life well into the future.

Of course it may be that m4/3 bodies will continue to support both AF systems for many years to come. But if PD AF takes off, it's my guess CD AF will be phased out.

I really can't see that hapening. In my experience CAF is noticably faster and more accurate than PDAF for static subjects, it's only for continuous tracking of moving subjects that PDAF is required. Why would Olympus cripple future bodies in this way when they have the technology to support both types of focusing?

StephenL
30th August 2013, 09:28 AM

Why do you think I stick with Olympus? *eyebrows

Chevvyf1
30th August 2013, 09:48 AM
Now THAT I would PAY to photograph! :D

oooh! how much ? :cool:

ps would it be with the new OM-D ? your borrowing from someone near you, just now with one ? :rolleyes:

StephenL
30th August 2013, 09:51 AM

Do I get shares? :o

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 09:57 AM

ps would it be with the new OM-D ? your borrowing from someone near you, just now with one ? :rolleyes:

Hehe, I wish I could get my hands on one - EM-1 that is! :D

Zuiko
30th August 2013, 09:58 AM
Do I get shares? :o

I'm sure Chevvy will share EVERYTHING with you, Stephen! :D

Alpha1
30th August 2013, 11:06 AM

Promises, promises!!!!! :rolleyes:

Graham_of_Rainham
30th August 2013, 11:11 AM
I'm getting the feeling, from the way this thread has "deviated", that the venue of the launch will be the Murder Mile Studio... *ipop

Ross the fiddler
30th August 2013, 11:33 AM
Like Ian, I believe this is a deliberate "leak" pre-launch campaign!

The info is carefully planted at 3/4 day intervals in different parts of the world and with no official retractions. Some say it is building up to a launch in mid September......15th September?

It is very clever if you think about it....it costs nothing compared to a very expensive ad campaign! Let the forums and rumour blogs do the pre-launch marketing. Great stuff.

I believe Ian was referring to the pop up on this page (with the curtains being drawn back). http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras/ Like this one http://special.olympus.eu/s/coming-soon/?olycmp=omdglt
At least that's how I understood it.

Ross the fiddler
30th August 2013, 11:42 AM
Rumours?

Ah, that's pretty good for an Olympus OM-D E-M1 that fits into your shirt pocket. :rolleyes: Oh wait, that would be the Panasonic HM-TA1. ;) :D

Chevvyf1
30th August 2013, 12:20 PM
I'm sure Chevvy will share EVERYTHING with you, Stephen! :D

NO SHARES ! :cool: THERE ARE SOME THINGS WHICH ARE just mine :) :rolleyes:

Alpha1
31st August 2013, 10:51 AM
Now we have our own dedicated sub-Forum! :D A step closer to a fully fledged OMD E M-1 I wonder?!! ;)

Alpha1
1st September 2013, 08:37 AM
Latest info would indicate that September 10/11th is the launch date for the new OMD E M-1 and two new pro lenses which now also includes a 40-150 F2.8 lens as well as the 12-40 F2.8. Now the big questions for me are if PDAF will work successfully to provide an effective C-AF + tracking with ALL mZuiko lenses and if so when can I get my hands on one!
http://www.dailycameranews.com/tag/micro-four-thirds/

Chevvyf1
1st September 2013, 10:51 AM
Latest info would indicate that September 10/11th is the launch date for the new OMD E M-1 and two new pro lenses which now also includes a 40-150 F2.8 lens as well as the 12-40 F2.8. Now the big questions for me are if PDAF will work successfully to provide an effective C-AF + tracking with ALL mZuiko lenses and if so when can I get my hands on one!
http://www.dailycameranews.com/tag/micro-four-thirds/

IF I find out I shall let you know :)

Alpha1
1st September 2013, 12:04 PM
I know that I can rely on you Chevvy and you will beat me to the nearest Oly dealer, 'cos I can't compete with your Ducatti! *chr

Chevvyf1
1st September 2013, 12:49 PM
I know that I can rely on you Chevvy and you will beat me to the nearest Oly dealer, 'cos I can't compete with your Ducatti! *chr

oooh! That Ducati was Mostrous friday ... hit some diesel ... coming off a roundabout ... a little slip an slide ... made me wonder "whats going on back there" ... lucky my Autopilot made me slip the clutch a little until the tyre could bite and we were on our journey still and safe :) ... all the above happened in NANOseconds ... all that training is still programmed in my brain Thank Goodness :)

BUT reading the spec of the NEW Pro Lenses - Max range 150 ... is no good for me ... So I am off to Park this week to view *anon ... and a rather long and nice light piece of SHG ... with all my saved pennies from not buying an OM-D EM-5 from them [what I had pre-ordered] ... :)

pvasc
1st September 2013, 02:28 PM
oooh! That Ducati was Mostrous friday ... hit some diesel ... coming off a roundabout ... a little slip an slide ... made me wonder "whats going on back there" ... lucky my Autopilot made me slip the clutch a little until the tyre could bite and we were on our journey still and safe :) ... all the above happened in NANOseconds ... all that training is still programmed in my brain Thank Goodness :)

BUT reading the spec of the NEW Pro Lenses - Max range 150 ... is no good for me ... So I am off to Park this week to view *anon ... and a rather long and nice light piece of SHG ... with all my saved pennies from not buying an OM-D EM-5 from them [what I had pre-ordered] ... :)

And if it comes with the 2x digital teleconverter, that 40-150 becomes an 80-300 F2.8. There's another thread where a member compared the digital 2x to the EC-20, and the digital looked better to me. Plus don't forget it's supposed to drive the 4/3 lenses, not sure what ones you have. Don't think you will find a 300mm lens the same size and weight, ( unless this thing is a monster), anywhere.

Chevvyf1
1st September 2013, 02:47 PM
And if it comes with the 2x digital teleconverter, that 40-150 becomes an 80-300 F2.8. There's another thread where a member compared the digital 2x to the EC-20, and the digital looked better to me. Plus don't forget it's supposed to drive the 4/3 lenses, not sure what ones you have. Don't think you will find a 300mm lens the same size and weight, ( unless this thing is a monster), anywhere.

ahhh! I did ask Ian about TC for the OMD and OM new one and he said ... NO !

I think its on the other New Camera thread :)

Graham_of_Rainham
1st September 2013, 03:20 PM
I'm starting to suffer from Rumortism... ;)

I'm in Rome next week, so will miss the launch party.

Anyone know of an Olympus Dealer in Rome. :cool:

Might even get a free Lambretta thrown in with the deal over there.

*chr

OM USer
1st September 2013, 03:21 PM
A x2 or x1.5 TC would be nice. Maybe the more optically perfect FT lenses lend themselves to TCs better than MFT where there is a degree of in-camera correction. Hoever using a 40-150mm with DTC might lead to some promising results.

pvasc
1st September 2013, 03:22 PM

NO?!?!?!?!? They are dropping the in camera digital teleconverter? That, to me is too bad. Like I said in another thread, at first I was not impressed with it, but with a firmware update it looked like it was improved, and now it's dropped from the new camera, unfortunate. Or are you talking about an extra chunk of glass to hang off the front? I'm a bit disappointed they have not developed any of those yet too.

I'll check the other thread.

Ross the fiddler
1st September 2013, 10:03 PM

I think Ian may have been saying there is no M4/3's adapters (yet) & officially any adapters (apart from the MMF-3) are not supposed to be used on the OM-D E-M5 (at least as in the manual) & may not show correctly in the EXIF (such as resulting focal length, although it did here showing 212mm as well as the increase in aperture value to F4), but physically it works just fine like it did in this photo (uncropped) using my OM-D E-M5 with MMF-3 + EC14 + Sigma 150mm macro lens used with MF because it's HSM (similar to SWD) doesn't AF correctly on the present M4/3's bodies but should with the new OM-D E-M1.

Our Hover Flies are not as large as yours over there.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/O9017351-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/65235)

Whatever purchasing decisions you make, I would suggest holding off till the announcement (probably 10th - 11th Sept) when all the preview reports are (officially) made known & all the known specifications are known. BTW, the 40-150 f2.8 lens is expected to be released next year, but you should (I hope) be able to use the ZD 50-200 SWD lens with the EC14 on this new OM-D which will have PD-AF ability. We shall see when all can be revealed.

I want to know how well this new E-M1 will AF the Sigma 150 macro lens.

*chr

Ian
2nd September 2013, 07:34 AM
NO?!?!?!?!? They are dropping the in camera digital teleconverter? That, to me is too bad. Like I said in another thread, at first I was not impressed with it, but with a firmware update it looked like it was improved, and now it's dropped from the new camera, unfortunate. Or are you talking about an extra chunk of glass to hang off the front? I'm a bit disappointed they have not developed any of those yet too.

I'll check the other thread.

I never said the digital teleconverter function was being dropped - if I recall correctly I tried to explain why there were no physical converters for Micro Four Thirds and this is because until recently we didn't have any lenses fast enough to work properly with converters. I would surprised if someone didn't produce a Micro Four Thirds 1.4 or 2.0x converter one day. I hasten to add I have not heard of anyone planning to do this.

Ian

Ian
2nd September 2013, 07:35 AM
I'm starting to suffer from Rumortism... ;)

I'm in Rome next week, so will miss the launch party.

Anyone know of an Olympus Dealer in Rome. :cool:

Might even get a free Lambretta thrown in with the deal over there.

*chr

Hope your hotel has free WiFi :D

Ian

Alpha1
2nd September 2013, 08:13 AM

The Oly 75-300 or Panny 100-300 are good lenses and I use both for wildlife shots. Sure they are both slower but with the Omd's great higher ISO performance it is never a bother for me.

It is just the lack of CAF -Tr performance that would induce me to change to the new E M-1 if that is as good as a DSLR.

brian1208
2nd September 2013, 08:27 AM
It is just the lack of CAF -Tr performance that would induce me to change to the new E M-1

I was tempted to try CAF-Tr at the Bournemouth Air Festival, under ideal conditions, still useless :(

The EM-1 has many attributes that are causing me to await the reviews with bated breath, if it matches the "Teasers" then I'm seduced already :)

Ian
2nd September 2013, 08:52 AM
C-AF Tracking mode is not designed for action photography really.

I think I need to write an article about the different AF modes on Olympus cameras!

Ian

pvasc
2nd September 2013, 09:18 AM
I never said the digital teleconverter function was being dropped - if I recall correctly I tried to explain why there were no physical converters for Micro Four Thirds and this is because until recently we didn't have any lenses fast enough to work properly with converters. I would surprised if someone didn't produce a Micro Four Thirds 1.4 or 2.0x converter one day. I hasten to add I have not heard of anyone planning to do this.

Ian
I had a feeling Chevvy and I were confusing the 2. Glad to see it will still be around, I think it was improved in the last firmware update, the pictures taken with it are cleaner.

pvasc
2nd September 2013, 09:23 AM
The Oly 75-300 or Panny 100-300 are good lenses and I use both for wildlife shots. Sure they are both slower but with the Omd's great higher ISO performance it is never a bother for me.

It is just the lack of CAF -Tr performance that would induce me to change to the new E M-1 if that is as good as a DSLR.

True, and I keep forgetting to use the higher ISO, partially from when I shoot film, only using 200, my brain hasn't reprogrammed fully yet to turn the ISO up. I'm getting there.

pvasc
2nd September 2013, 09:27 AM
C-AF Tracking mode is not designed for action photography really.

I think I need to write an article about the different AF modes on Olympus cameras!

Ian

Please do because now I'm confused. Why is it labeled C-AF tracking, if it is not designed for action photography? Or moving objects? I find it struggles with Geese on the water.

benvendetta
2nd September 2013, 12:11 PM
I do hope that the EM1 retains the Digital Tele-Converter as my tests showed better performance than the EC20 when used with my 50-200 on my EPL5. Looks like I may well be selling my EC20!

Alpha1
4th September 2013, 07:46 AM
Not long to wait as the official launch is on Tuesday 10th September apparently with local demos for the following two weeks.

My local dealer has one on the 28th September and is hopeful of having stock availability. :D

My problem is that I have an event to attend on that day but I hope to get there either early in the day (if I can beat Chevvy's Ducatti that is!!) or later when they are all gone!! :mad:

Chevvyf1
4th September 2013, 07:48 AM
Not long to wait as the official launch is on Tuesday 10th September apparently with local demos for the following two weeks.

My local dealer has one on the 28th September and is hopeful of having stock availability. :D

My problem is that I have an event to attend on that day but I hope to get there either early in the day (if I can beat Chevvy's Ducatti that is!!) or later when they are all gone!! :mad:

Dave I can get two :) *chr is that LCE Soton ?

benvendetta
4th September 2013, 08:23 AM
I cant believe that the em1 will be in the stores tby the end of the month.

StephenL
4th September 2013, 10:21 AM
I cant believe that the em1 will be in the stores tby the end of the month.
Neither can I. But stranger things have happened!

OM USer
4th September 2013, 10:54 AM

Its not the aperture that you shoot with, with although F6.7 (at the long end) does not make it easy to isolate the bird against the background even if it does help with increase depth of field. Rather it is that with F6.7 amount of light coming in it is not as easy for the CDAF to work with as if it had say F2.8 (being unrealistic or for those into SHG) or F3.5. That is why many lenses, even PDAF, struggle in low light. There is probably a light level above which increased light does not make that much difference but below which focus performance steadily decreases. It would be interesting to know this value and whether our zoom lenses can transmit this on a typical overcast UK day shooting the dark underneath of a bird in flight.

Grumpy Hec
4th September 2013, 11:22 AM

LCE Colchester 21st Sept. Trying to re-org my day so that I can get there. Already phoned them and it is an all day event. If it's good, that includes handling which I regard as at least as important as any number of clever whizz bangs as it is after all a tool to produce images which you manipulate as best as you can, and the price is within the budget I put aside some time ago I'll may even commit at that point if there is a good introduction deal.

Makes more sense to read reviews of course so maybe common sense will prevail after all :rolleyes:

Hec

brian1208
4th September 2013, 03:33 PM

Dave, is that at LCE Southampton?

I've just had and e-mail from Olympus UK and they have told me that the LCE Southampton High Street store is holding the event on Sunday 29th and I'm wondering if they got it wrong (I've gone back to them to confirm the date)

Just received confirmation - it is Saturday 28th, so I may see you there?

Brian

OM USer
4th September 2013, 04:07 PM
Just checked the LCE events page
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Events/
I'm actually looking to see if there is an "event" at the Reading branch, no mention of this event at Southampton so maybe they are just not publishing these opportunities?
Anyone got news of Olympus events in Reading?

brian1208
4th September 2013, 04:46 PM
I found out about Southampton by contacting Olympus UK via their Facebook page

Chevvyf1
4th September 2013, 05:26 PM
Isn't it just GREAT - that a HUGE market here - has to CONTACT OLYMPUS for information *zzz *zzz *zzz :D

pvasc
4th September 2013, 06:43 PM
I remember seeing a list of places and dates a couple of weeks ago. May have even been on here.

brian1208
4th September 2013, 06:49 PM
This was what was showing on the Olympus UK facebook page, under the initial list of locations on 29th August

OlympusUK (https://www.facebook.com/OlympusUK) We are hoping to hold more so keep an eye out for future announcements.

Alpha1
5th September 2013, 07:18 AM
Isn't it just GREAT - that a HUGE market here - has to CONTACT OLYMPUS for information *zzz *zzz *zzz :D

Just clever modern marketing really. There has been nothing official from Olympus about the new EM1.....just leaked information, photo's and a video!

Not all the staff at S'ton LCE knew anything about it either, just that the Oly rep would be there for an "Olympus" day! The chap with the long beard did know quite a lot about the EM1 but nothing about the exact spec!

I suppose this is hardly surprising as Olympus is expected to officially announce the new camera on 10th September in advance of their Olympus days. So we will have to wait until then to get the full spec, UK prices etc.

This rang alarm bells, as I remember the scarce availability of the OMD EM5 for the first few months following it's launch and spare batteries for very much longer.

Recently however camera companies have learned that advance market anticipation requires immediate satisfaction and cameras have been in stock to meet the pent-up demand. Even Leica have at last learned that and although cocking up their pre launch latest camera marketing campaign , they did have the cameras on dealers shelves on launch day.

Fingers crossed! ;)

brian1208
5th September 2013, 07:55 AM
I'm just hoping that I make enough money from our exhibition that I will be able to buy it without "the boss" making enquiring noises (that's assuming it lives up to the hype of course :) )

Chevvyf1
5th September 2013, 08:30 AM
Just clever modern marketing really. There has been nothing official from Olympus about the new EM1.....just leaked information, photo's and a video!

Not all the staff at S'ton LCE knew anything about it either, just that the Oly rep would be there for an "Olympus" day! The chap with the long beard did know quite a lot about the EM1 but nothing about the exact spec!

I suppose this is hardly surprising as Olympus is expected to officially announce the new camera on 10th September in advance of their Olympus days. So we will have to wait until then to get the full spec, UK prices etc.

This rang alarm bells, as I remember the scarce availability of the OMD EM5 for the first few months following it's launch and spare batteries for very much longer.

Recently however camera companies have learned that advance market anticipation requires immediate satisfaction and cameras have been in stock to meet the pent-up demand. Even Leica have at last learned that and although cocking up their pre launch latest camera marketing campaign , they did have the cameras on dealers shelves on launch day.

Fingers crossed! ;)

I find it rather alarming that Olympus sponsor this website ... and this thread has 7,000 views ...

... and other Tog websites keep sending me emails about NEW CAMERAS from Nikon and Canon and Fuji etc., in fact, many more these last two weeks ...

BUT Oly do not ! :confused:

... Perhaps Olympus do not KNOW LOYALTY EVEN WHEN ITS SLAPPING THEM IN THE FACE :eek:

StephenL
5th September 2013, 09:08 AM
... and other Tog websites keep sending me emails about NEW CAMERAS from Nikon and Canon and Fuji etc., in fact, many more these last two weeks ...

I would call that spamming ...

Grumpy Hec
5th September 2013, 09:25 AM
I find it rather alarming that Olympus sponsor this website ... and this thread has 7,000 views ...

... Perhaps Olympus do not KNOW LOYALTY EVEN WHEN ITS SLAPPING THEM IN THE FACE :eek:

I found out via the Olympus news update/tease email which you have to sign up to. That linked to the Olympus Facebook which had the details of what dealers are having Olympus events.

I do agree it does seem all very secret squirrel but I suspect that is deliberate ala Apple and iPhone releases. It's designed to create a great air of expectation, excitement and mystery.

Once the official announcement is made (10th ????? ) I'm sure we will be bombarded from all sides.

Hec

brian1208
5th September 2013, 09:25 AM

I liked the fact that I was invited to sign up for more information if I wanted (which I did) rather than being bombarded with unsolicited e-mail marketing shots

OM USer
5th September 2013, 10:14 AM
Ah.. perhaps I should sign up. I would have thought being on their mailing list and getting the online magazine thing should have been sufficient.

Regardless of whether there will be a new camera or not, surely it pays for camera stores and manufactures to publisise event days when a rep will be in store to answer questions.

I don't do "facebook" but did follow the link given by Brian and then navigated my way to the Premier Dealer Events (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=584235701620049&set=a.136244383085852.14970.124688874241403&type=1&theater) page. Southampton is not listed and neither is anywhere I can get too. Can't get to Ian's 12th Sept thing either.

Ulfric M Douglas
5th September 2013, 10:28 AM
I do NOT want e-mails about anything related to advertising and products ... EVER, from anyone.
E-mail is for important stuff in my book.

pvasc
6th September 2013, 05:31 AM
SRS open day 14th Sept. What do they mean lots of interesting stuff to play with? Lots of EM-1's? Or is there more we don't know about? With the EM-5 release they only had one of each camera that I saw, (EM5, PL5, and the mini)..... Food for thought.
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/

benvendetta
6th September 2013, 05:57 AM
I do NOT want e-mails about anything related to advertising and products ... EVER, from anyone.

I agree..........and we can dream.

Zuiko
6th September 2013, 07:19 AM

Well, good luck with that one! :D

Wee man
6th September 2013, 07:33 AM
Yet again no special events in N. Ireland.

The Saint
6th September 2013, 08:22 AM
SRS open day 14th Sept. What do they mean lots of interesting stuff to play with? Lots of EM-1's? Or is there more we don't know about? With the EM-5 release they only had one of each camera that I saw, (EM5, PL5, and the mini)..... Food for thought.
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/

It doesn't have to be new to be interesting, maybe just a full set of everything Olympus are currently producing.

OM USer
6th September 2013, 09:35 AM
...maybe just a full set of everything Olympus are currently producing.

Maybe when Ian gets one for the hire service he could do an open day with all the cameras and lenses he has available. If there are enough of us I'm sure a small contribution each would pay for it, in effect we each hire one piece for the day at the going rate.

Although I am never going to get the ergonomic E-1, the legendary E-5, or the compact E-620, I would love to handle them for a brief time and see just how good the HG and SHG lenses are. Its not like you can walk into a shop and see them, its hard enough trying to find MFT items.

The Saint
6th September 2013, 10:58 AM
OM

I know in the past Ian has been more than willing in the past to bring a specific lens along to a gathering of the group if it's not on hire and you want to try it out. Had the pleasure of 90-250mm f2.8 for a afternoon at Hatfield Forest a few years back (definately worked the arm muscles out).

Like you say it is very difficult to find places to try before you buy, although you can hire from here and if you buy the lense within a set period you get the hire charge back (check out the hire section for specific details).

Simon

Graham_of_Rainham
6th September 2013, 12:50 PM
I know in the past Ian has been more than willing in the past to bring a specific lens along to a gathering of the group if it's not on hire and you want to try it out. Had the pleasure of 90-250mm f2.8 for a afternoon at Hatfield Forest a few years back (definately worked the arm muscles out).

Simon

I remember lugging it round for most of the morning. Often when Ian lets me play with things, it costs me lots of money. I'm not available to go to the event on the 12th., but I know those that do will have a great time.

White Balance shouldn't be a problem ;)

Alpha1
18th September 2013, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know if the EM1 with he new 4/3 adaptor will transfer the AF function of non Zuiko 4/3 lenses. ie the Leica 4/3 lenses?

David Morison
18th September 2013, 04:07 PM
Yes, AFs beautifully with my Leica 14-150mm.

David

StephenL
18th September 2013, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know if the EM1 with he new 4/3 adaptor will transfer the AF function of non Zuiko 4/3 lenses. ie the Leica 4/3 lenses?

I'm pretty sure it does.

Chevvyf1
18th September 2013, 04:40 PM

Thats a great Q Dave :)

jamsa
18th September 2013, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it does.

I was at a demonstration today I was told that the software inside is programmed for all brands of M4/3 and 4/3rd lenses...this wont answer your question as no mention was made re any non 4/3 using adapters perhaps I would read into that it wouldn't but stand to be corrected.

StephenL
18th September 2013, 06:27 PM
No, it won't autofocus non-4/3 lenses. The question, I believe, referred to 4/3 lenses.

Ian
18th September 2013, 10:15 PM
The MMF-3 on any Micro Four Thirds camera (Panasonic and Olympus) enables full communication with a Four Thirds lens (Sigma, Olympus, and Panasonic/Leica) with the body, including AF control. Only the E-M1 can operate Four Thirds lenses in C-AF mode, though, and not in video mode, only stills shooting.

Ian

Alpha1
19th September 2013, 01:39 PM
Thank you Ian and everyone else. As always with a new camera there is so much mis-information about on the net!!

Not long to wait hopefully now though, but it might be worth gathering a few useful lenses! Leica's are useful to me as I can use images taken with them on an Olympus in the Fellowship competitions etc!

I'm after you then Chevvy, if you leave me some room in the WQ car park!!

Chevvyf1
19th September 2013, 02:35 PM
Thank you Ian and everyone else. As always with a new camera there is so much mis-information about on the net!!

Not long to wait hopefully now though, but it might be worth gathering a few useful lenses! Leica's are useful to me as I can use images taken with them on an Olympus in the Fellowship competitions etc!

I'm after you then Chevvy, if you leave me some room in the WQ car park!!

Duh ! WQ Car Park ???

ps I may "fly in on a microlite :eek: if its not raining :rolleyes:

Alpha1
19th September 2013, 06:42 PM
Chevvy..... sorry, just my attempt at an intelligence test! (mine I think and I failed it!) :eek:

A clue would be that I shall be shopping in Soton, which is just everyday southern slang! ;)

Chevvyf1
19th September 2013, 07:07 PM
Chevvy..... sorry, just my attempt at an intelligence test! (mine I think and I failed it!) :eek:

A clue would be that I shall be shopping in Soton, which is just everyday southern slang! ;)

Nick just got it :) West Quay :) so your off to ICE then :)

Don't worry I am otherwise busy this weekend = may go to Hilliers Sunday for the Art Expo there :) ... and to do a reccie on "Autumn Leaves" for our visit with Barry & Norma :) soon to be planned ... dependent on the colour of the leaves :)

Alpha1
22nd September 2013, 07:52 AM
It's next week-end Chevvy! :rolleyes:

brian1208
22nd September 2013, 08:43 AM
Maybe see you there next week-end Dave.
I understand it starts at 11, to plan to there shortly after that

Chevvyf1
22nd September 2013, 09:33 AM
It's next week-end Chevvy! :rolleyes:

ooh! is it maybe meet there :) what time are you arriving ? :D

Alpha1
22nd September 2013, 12:25 PM
My problem is that I have a Golden Wedding celebration lunch to attend at 12.00pm that day! :eek:

If it starts at 11.00 at LCE, so there is no way that I can get there and back and have time to play with the EM1!

If the celebrations are all over by 3.30pm, I might be able to get there if it doesn't pack up before 5.00pm but it's highly uncertain!! :confused:

StephenL
22nd September 2013, 12:27 PM
I would check with LCE. SRS was supposed to start at 11:00, but I phoned and was told 10:00, which it turned out was true.

hotbath1962
22nd September 2013, 01:02 PM
Do check the times. I went to LCE Bristol and found the rep had packed up and left an hour before the advertised time. Was really pi$$ed off as had left work early, travelled specially, paid to park, and got wet in the rain walking to the shop.