PDA

View Full Version : HELP! E5 technical question - decoupling mirror/shutter

rutwij
18th December 2012, 11:11 AM
I recently heard someone say that the vibration caused by the mirror moving out of the way when the shutter is activated can cause a slight blur to occur in long exposure shots. They said that some cameras now have the feature which enables the mirror to life the first time the shutter button is pressed and the second time causes the shutter to open. Apparently there is a noticeable difference in clarity in 2 shots captured with the same settings, one with the 2 decoupled and one without.
Has anybody tried this technique? Also, does the E5 allow this sort of operation?

Cheers,
Rutwij

Seonnaidh
18th December 2012, 11:15 AM
It certainly is better to take an image using the 'mirror up' system of working.
I used to own an E5 but I can't remember for the life of me how it was done.
Someone on here is almost certain to know.

Wreckdiver
18th December 2012, 11:29 AM
It's called Anti Shock, often called mirror lock up.

On the E-5 hold down the Mode button and turn the front wheel one click to the left to show the single frame with a small diamond on the left. The default value is 2 seconds (IIRC) but can be changed - page 62 in the manual.

Steve

rutwij
18th December 2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys! Very helpful indeed!

David M
18th December 2012, 01:29 PM
The above information is assuming your tripod/camera support is up to the job. Using anti-shock won't help if the camera's not supported properly.

rutwij
18th December 2012, 04:30 PM
The above information is assuming your tripod/camera support is up to the job. Using anti-shock won't help if the camera's not supported properly.

My older Hama star tripod struggles to cope with the heavier of my lenses. My newer ball head tripod will hopefully fare much better.

Graptolite
19th December 2012, 11:01 AM
On the E-5 hold down the Mode button and turn the front wheel one click to the left to show the single frame with a small diamond on the left. The default value is 2 seconds (IIRC) but can be changed - page 62 in the manual.

Steve

You have to turn on the anti-shock function in the menu system before the 'diamond' icons show up in the drive mode options - go into the menu, down to the Custom menu (the little cog wheels) then on to option E, then sub menu 'Anti shock' and select the value required (as Steve says, the default value is 2 seconds).