PDA

View Full Version : Live view issues

David Morison
18th December 2012, 10:31 AM
Occasionally I use the articulated screen on the E-M5 for Live View. However whenever I position the camera below me and tilt the lens upwards above the horizontal the LCD goes blank. Returning the camera to the horizontal switches the screen back on. This does not happen when the screen is in the parked position or when articulated for viewing from below. Is this to do with the levelling system and if so is there a way of switching it off? All I can find is a set/reset function. Or do I have a problem with the connection between the screen and the body when the screen is pulled out for viewing it from above?

David

peak4
18th December 2012, 11:08 AM
Are you positioning yourself to throw a shadow over the viewfinder such that the camera thinks you have your eye up to it, thus automatically changing over from rear screen to EVF?
I get this when shooting from the waist with the rear screen perpendicular to the camera, and need to move the camera further away from the beer gut. :D

StephenL
18th December 2012, 12:10 PM
It's your body triggering the eye sensor. If you switch off the auto setting you should be OK, but you'd have to press the button on the side of the viewfinder to switch from eye level finder to back screen. I too have Bill's issue! Trouble is, the camera has to move quite a distance away from my "keg"!

David Morison
18th December 2012, 12:20 PM
Good points, although I am not usually that close. I will try switching off the EVF Auto function to see if this does the trick.

Thanks

David

Ross the fiddler
18th December 2012, 12:54 PM
Yes, it is the eye sensor playing havoc with you & it's these occasions that switching off the auto sensor is best. I find that the deep eyecup helps in this regard with less false triggers (or change-overs), but a finger near the sensor will annoy you as it senses it. :(

David Morison
18th December 2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks all, everything seems as normal now. The eye sensor is just another refinement on the E-M5 that I lump together under the heading "Embuggerance factors"!

David

cariadus
18th December 2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks all, everything seems as normal now. The eye sensor is just another refinement on the E-M5 that I lump together under the heading "Embuggerance factors"!

Agreed - it was one of the first things I turned off when I got my E-M5 and haven't used it since.

StephenL
18th December 2012, 03:07 PM
It's a pity the sensitivity is not adjustable. It's a useful feature - sometimes. Other times it is, as David says, an embuggerance.

dko22
18th December 2012, 04:38 PM
agree -- I'm pretty sure the GH2 had adjustable sensitivity and there are times with the E-M5 I feel like switching it off but then I complain about that too so invariably switch it back on again. The excessive sensitivity I think it's something you can adapt to over time.

It's a pity the sensitivity is not adjustable. It's a useful feature - sometimes. Other times it is, as David says, an embuggerance.