PDA

View Full Version : assigning buttons

Ava
17th December 2012, 06:22 PM
I am trying to figure out how to make a button have multifunctions. Does anyone have an easy explanation of how to do this?

StephenL
17th December 2012, 06:58 PM
As far as I know the only button which can have multiple choices assigned to it is Fn2. It's described on page 25 of the full manual (UK versions, anyway). Once it's set up, you press and hold Fn2 while turning the main front control dial to select a function.

Ava
17th December 2012, 09:22 PM
The record button also has a multifunction setting, but I can't get either to work. I set on multifunction. When I turn the dial I do not see anything that would allow me to choose one of the options?

peak4
17th December 2012, 11:07 PM
The record button also has a multifunction setting, but I can't get either to work. I set on multifunction. When I turn the dial I do not see anything that would allow me to choose one of the options?

Hold button down and use the rear dial simultaneously, not the front one.

ayewing
17th December 2012, 11:30 PM
Describing the dials as front and rear can give rise to ambiguity, depending on whether you are looking from the LCD back of the camera or the lens at the front. The manual usefully describes them as Main dial and Subdial.

David M
17th December 2012, 11:55 PM
The rear dial is the one at the rear of the camera. Why would you be looking at the front of the camera when using the dials?

ayewing
18th December 2012, 12:24 AM
I think that is how most people would interpret it but others might consider the dial nearest to their eye as the front dial and the dial furthest from the eye as the rear dial. Using the same terms that Olympus uses in the labelled diagram in the manual avoids ambiguity.

Ava
18th December 2012, 03:01 AM
Thanks. I have tried both dials so I must be missing something. When you push the button and turn the dial what are you supposed to see?

Ross the fiddler
18th December 2012, 03:10 AM
Actually, either wheel, front or back (main or sub) will initiate & change the selection of one of the 4 functions while holding down whichever button that was programmed for it & then a second press will open up that function. For example, for magnification rotate the wheel while holding the function button to land on the magnification symbol & then press (the button) momentarily & the focus box will appear as well as a slider on the right of the touch screen to adjust the size & a second press of the button will show the magnified view.

Ross the fiddler
18th December 2012, 10:01 AM
Ava, have you read these suggested settings from these sites?
http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php?id=photo:olympusem5_settings
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

I highly recommend reading them & using their suggestions. For myself, I didn't immediately set my four way buttons to direct functions, but later realised how much better it was when I did & the down arrow is set to drive mode & the rihgt to ISO. I hope the above helps.

*chr

Ava
18th December 2012, 06:27 PM
Thank you. I have seen the DP review but not the other one. I have been assigning buttons and arrows to various selections. I just got somewhat confused with the multi function choice. I will do some more reading and see what I can put together.

peak4
18th December 2012, 06:50 PM
Actually, either wheel, front or back (main or sub) will initiate & change the selection of one of the 4 functions while holding down whichever button that was programmed for it & then a second press will open up that function.

Well that's weird, When I tried it last night, only the front dial would work with Fn2 button, and only the rear dial would work with the Record button; I tried it several times, when holding down the Record button (set to Multi-Function) and spinning the front dial, the latter retained its original programming (i.e. altering aperture, or shutter speed). Similarly holding down Fn2 and spinning the rear dial altered exposure compensation.
i.e. with respect to the two top plate function buttons Fn2 & Record, they would only work with the dial closest to them.

I've just gone and tried it again to prove I wasn't imagining things and it now works exactly as you describe. :confused:

Ava
18th December 2012, 09:20 PM
Your doing better for me. I was not able to get either dial to work with either button. I'm going to do some reading and try again.

peak4
18th December 2012, 09:43 PM
There's some quite good explanations in this article on DPReview
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5