PDA

View Full Version : BLM-5 battery for the E5

rutwij
17th December 2012, 11:15 AM
I'm trying to get a couple of spare batteries for my E5. Amazon UK marketplace sellers price it at 58.90 while Amazon US price it at $40. eBay seem to offer more sensibly priced alternatives (non-Oly) starting at 4
Does anyone know a place I can pick up a new Olympus BLM-5 in the UK for a more reasonable price (or under 17, which is the VAT threshold for overseas orders)? Alternatively, are any of the cheaper alternatives any good?

StephenL
17th December 2012, 11:45 AM
I would look for a reputable 3rd party battery, such as Uniross or Hahnel.

7DayShop might be a good place to start looking.

I note that Amazon UK sell Hama batteries, which are also quite reputable.

Price is usually no indication of quality or otherwise in alternative batteries - some of the cheapest might be just as good as those a bit dearer.

Graptolite
17th December 2012, 12:05 PM
I have a couple of equivalent batteries made by Inov8. (PS-BLM5) which have worked faultlessly and can be found for between £10 and £20 depending on where you look.
(Amazon stock them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Digital-Battery-Olympus-Warranty/dp/B004TQNS82/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355745696&sr=8-1 )
They are a reputable company making good quality batteries.

I suspect there may be warranty issues if using third party batteries should one go wrong, but so far I've never had any problem.

rutwij
17th December 2012, 02:10 PM
Cheers David and Stephen

Bikie John
17th December 2012, 05:13 PM
I have 2 Oly originals and 2 Hahnel lookalikes. I use them a pair at a time in the grip, and as far as I can tell performance of the Olys and Hahnels is identical.

Ciao ... John

Stewart G
17th December 2012, 05:31 PM
The Wasabi batteries are good, and cheap, plus their charger comes with an adapter to allow charging from an automotive 12 volt socket.