PDA

View Full Version : file format

beckyi90
15th December 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi, I'm struggling to be able to import videos taken on my EPL3 into after effects.

Any suggestions on file convertor software/ file types to try?

Thanks

snaarman
15th December 2012, 06:02 PM
I played with video on the E-PL3 - and it replayed great on the camera. I never found a method of importing it to the PC however. You either got audio and stalled video, or video and jumpy audio.

Grrr.

Fortunately I'm not interested in shooting video. I'm sure someone on the forum has sorted this out

Ulfric M Douglas
15th December 2012, 10:07 PM
One of the video formats in my e-pM1 actually crashes my computer : wierd!

Here's someone about the use Windows Live Movie Maker, not something I'm familiar with.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3351936
They say it reads it fine, maybe good for edits.

beckyi90
16th December 2012, 02:05 AM
One of the video formats in my e-pM1 actually crashes my computer : wierd!

Here's someone about the use Windows Live Movie Maker, not something I'm familiar with.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3351936
They say it reads it fine, maybe good for edits.

Thanks for the link, I tried movie maker but it couldnt read the files either, really strange, I can get them to play in DIVX and quicktime so i might try and get a copy of pro to save into a different format, otherwise full screen video capture will have to do :/

out of interest how did you change the video format in the camera?

ringneck
21st December 2012, 09:14 PM
I have the self same problem with the video on my Canon 7D.
My son got me up and running on the p.c. with Quicktime and I actually managed to get one onto Youtube which allowed me to link it to someone.(It took hours to convert for youtube).
I then Googled my problem of video editing and found Windows Movie Maker...I downloaded it and also a tutorial to help me use it BUT like you got stuck at the 1st hurdle as my vids were wrong format to upload into Movie maker.
Being simplistic I had a Canon product and a Microsoft system..so how the hell am I in a situation where they cannot be matched up easily.......I can download things to change the format (I think) but it will cost and will probably need another couple of stages to just get me to get a video file into windows.
I think it is a total load of C***.

Keith

donmcmahan
8th January 2013, 09:45 PM
the E-PL3 shoots both AVCHD and motion-jpeg you didn't say which recording setting you are using but AVCHD, the higher quality codec, is a bit tricky to work with. Adobe Premiere and After Effects can edit AVCHD natively without conversion. at least they can with the 2 cameras that I have that shoot AVCHD video, which are both Panasonics. Unless Oly has thrown a curve on this one. I haven't quite gotten to grips with AE my self but I do use Premiere all the time.The AVCHD file folder structure is a bit complicated, did you wade through it and find the actual video files with the MTS file extension and move them on to your computer or try to important the video into AE straight from your camera? Plug your camera or card if you use a card reader into your computer, look on the card and look for the folder named AVCHD, it might be a bit hidden, but it's in there somewhere, on a GH2 its inside a folder called "private", inside the AVCHD folder is the BDMV folder and inside that is one called STREAM and your video files are in STREAM. copy them onto your computer. when you import into your editing program go file-import-then navigate to where ever you put the MTS files on your computer and select.

beckyi90
8th January 2013, 10:36 PM
Hey, sorry yeah I've been shooting in AVCHD, struggling to get it to work with AE4 and PP4 which sucks as usually i can do these kinda things. might have to try the AE5/6 to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks tho

donmcmahan
8th January 2013, 11:38 PM
native editing of AVCHD files definitely works in CS 5/6, don't know about CS4, sorry I hadn't thought about that.

PeteBoo
9th January 2013, 10:11 AM
Nero Show Time will play AVCHD files
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/127220-how-playback-avchd-files.html

Jim Ford
9th January 2013, 01:35 PM
VLC (free) always boasted that it would play any media file thrown at it. Don't know about AVCHD though.

Jim

donmcmahan
18th January 2013, 08:13 PM
VLC plays AVCHD, though on my old macbook it struggles a bit with the high bit rate MTS files from my hacked GH2