PDA

View Full Version : Service interruption - apologies!

Ian
11th December 2012, 03:15 AM
Ironically, just a matter of a day or two before a planned migration to a brand new server we've had a major failure on our old server which has affected this site and Digital Photography Now (dpnow.com).

The server has been rebuilt but at the time of writing dpnow.com was not yet back up. The e-group here is running close to normally although some of you have reported some glitches that are mostly sorted now.

I'm still having problems accessing the site via my home broadband but I'm managing to post this using my phone's broadband.

Anyway - I'm very sorry for any inconvenience and I can just hope that our new server will be more reliable. Unfortunately there will be some scheduled down time to commission the new server but at least we will be able to warn you about that!

Ian

Ian
11th December 2012, 04:06 AM
The ignominy - I was locked out of the server by its firewall because of too many failed log-in attempts! Oh well - that's been sorted.

Just need to get DPNow back online...

Ian

Zuiko
11th December 2012, 08:43 AM
The ignominy - I was locked out of the server by its firewall because of too many failed log-in attempts! Oh well - that's been sorted.

Just need to get DPNow back online...

Ian

That server is more trouble than it's worth. I think you should give it a damn good thrashing, in the best Basil Fawlty tradition! :D

Wee man
11th December 2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all you time and efforts system working at this end both phone and desktop. Give yourself an extra spoonful of sugar, it might rot your teeth but it might perk you up for sorting the other site.

cariadus
11th December 2012, 11:42 AM
I know all too well the stress involved in having sites down and having to restore everything. Well done for getting it back up and running again so quickly.

sapper
11th December 2012, 12:36 PM
Ahhhh, that probably answers my question re uploading images.

Ian
11th December 2012, 01:16 PM
Our servers are hosted in Lancing, Michigan so we have to work with the host admins via email, basically - which is a bit laborious. But they work around the clock...

Ian

Zuiko
11th December 2012, 02:07 PM
Our servers are hosted in Lancing, Michigan so we have to work with the host admins via email, basically - which is a bit laborious. But they work around the clock...

Ian

So do you, sometimes! :D

alfbranch
11th December 2012, 02:27 PM
Well the forum wont let me start a new thread as I dont the privelage

Ian
11th December 2012, 03:40 PM
Well the forum wont let me start a new thread as I dont the privelage

Right - will add that to the list!

Gallery posting is now fixed - fingers crossed!

Ian

Seonnaidh
11th December 2012, 04:20 PM
Well don Ian and many thanks for all your hard work. It's much appreciated.

Ian
11th December 2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks! :)

I think we are back to normal now.

Our new server is ready, too - I just have to scheduled a time for the files to be transferred. This will mean more disruption but this time we can managed it better and warn everyone first!

Ian

alfbranch
11th December 2012, 04:49 PM
Ian
Its now working for me . I appreaciate your efforts.

StephenL
11th December 2012, 04:50 PM
The other thing which doesn't seem to be working is notification of replies to subscribed threads, but maybe that's down to your email function being offline?

Ian
11th December 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up on these - bit too tired to fix them tonight - top of the list for tomorrow morning :D

Ian

Ian
11th December 2012, 11:20 PM
Ian
Its now working for me . I appreaciate your efforts.

Does this mean you can start new threads again?

Ian

Ian
11th December 2012, 11:21 PM
I think the thread subscription notification alert emails are not working because of a mail server issue - I have alerted the hosting admin people.

Ian

Stewart G
11th December 2012, 11:43 PM
Many thanks, Ian, for your hard work sorting this out.

Ian
12th December 2012, 10:57 AM
I think the thread subscription notification alert emails are not working because of a mail server issue - I have alerted the hosting admin people.

Ian

Could anyone verify that notification emails are working again?

Thanks,

Ian

Wee man
12th December 2012, 11:02 AM
I got word of thus post OK seems to be working this end

Ian
12th December 2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks - there was a problem with the mail server which has now been rectified.

Ian

StephenL
12th December 2012, 02:25 PM
Hmm - still not getting emails from threads.