PDA

View Full Version : OMD start-up problem

Rens
6th December 2012, 05:53 PM
When I switch on and take the first photo, it often comes out completely black. The next one is fine. This doesn't always happen.

The dark exposure and the good one have the same EXIF info.

Has anyone else had this happen, and does anyone have an explanation?

It's not really problem unless the shot I want changes before I realise I haven't caught it. But I'm sure it shouldn't be happening.

Rens

Bruce Clarke
6th December 2012, 06:16 PM
Your shutter is knackered sadly. You'll need to send it to Oly who will sort it under warranty. There have been a few:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41974633

Good luck!

Bruce

Rens
6th December 2012, 06:23 PM
Your shutter is knackered sadly. You'll need to send it to Oly who will sort it under warranty. There have been a few:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41974633

Good luck!

Bruce

Oh dear. But thanks for the information and the dpreview link. I'll get on with this tomorrow.

Rens

Rens
7th December 2012, 02:20 PM
Has anyone else on this forum had this problem? As well as the links Bruce gave me I've found more forum discussion.

I've now refined the problem further. As well as the first frame sometimes giving a black exposure, if the shutter speed is fast enough (1/800th, say, when shooting something really bright), every frame is black.

At lower shutter speeds there seems not to be a problem. I wonder if it's a sticky shutter, especially in this cold weather. If the stickiness slowed down the shutter, it could completely miss a short exposure, while only marginally affecting a longer one.

I've contacted ProCameraShop, saying that with the camera being so new (not yet three weeks since I received it) I want a new camera, not a repair. I gave them links to four forum sites discussing the problem. ProCameraShop wrote back:

Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing. We have passed your details on to our technical team and we will be in touch again shortly to advise on the best course of action.
If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

I followed up with a telephone call but they were non-commital, just said they'd be back in touch when they'd heard from their technical team.

Their revues were excellent, I'll let you know if they live up to them.

Rens

Zuiko
7th December 2012, 02:25 PM
Yes, I have seen reference to this problem on other forums. Good luck sorting it out, there shouldn't be any question over getting a new replacement after just 3 weeks.

Rens
7th December 2012, 02:41 PM
Yes, I have seen reference to this problem on other forums. Good luck sorting it out, there shouldn't be any question over getting a new replacement after just 3 weeks.

No, there really shouldn't, but I'm always wary of internet only companies. I'll keep you informed.

Rens

Melaka
20th December 2012, 05:24 PM
How did you get on Rens? I bought an EM5 less than a fortnight ago and it is producing random black frames too.

Rens
20th December 2012, 06:33 PM
How did you get on Rens? I bought an EM5 less than a fortnight ago and it is producing random black frames too.

ProCameraShop have been excellent, and today I received my replacement OMD plus 12-50. They've answered the telephone, answered emails promptly, and generally been courteous and helpful. And replaced my camera.

I've just done a quick test and it seems OK, but I've heard from some that the problem can arise after some time. So I'll just have to keep checking at regular intervals, though after about a month it's unlikely they'd replace, just tell me to send the camera to Olympus for repair.

Where did you buy your camera? You should contact them at once while it's so new they can't refuse to replace it. You don't want it sitting in Olympus repair shops over Christmas.

Rens

Bruce Clarke
20th December 2012, 06:56 PM
ProCameraShop have been excellent, and today I received my replacement OMD plus 12-50. They've answered the telephone, answered emails promptly, and generally been courteous and helpful. And replaced my camera.

I've just done a quick test and it seems OK, but I've heard from some that the problem can arise after some time. So I'll just have to keep checking at regular intervals, though after about a month it's unlikely they'd replace, just tell me to send the camera to Olympus for repair.

Where did you buy your camera? You should contact them at once while it's so new they can't refuse to replace it. You don't want it sitting in Olympus repair shops over Christmas.

Rens
Glad you got it swapped Rens. If the new one goes wrong after a month or more, surely they would still have to get it repaired for you, as I believe the warranty is entirely with them, and nothing to do with Oly? The price you pay for the grey import.

Bruce

Melaka
20th December 2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for that. Mine came from Amazon and I've already done the paperwork to send it back tomorrow. My experience with Amazon over returns has always been positive. It's pretty poor quality control when this sort of thing happens. I'm left wondering if it is going to fail again at some time in the future.

jamsa
20th December 2012, 07:48 PM
I am nervous about my camera now.... Will my one develop a problem next week next month or a week after the warranty expires..... I cannot afford expensive repairs.... The camera is fine now but all this chat makes me wonder if I should revert to full 4/3rds

Melaka
20th December 2012, 08:00 PM
Defects don't inspire confidence. On the plus side I have already completed the paperwork with Amazon and had an acknowledgement. The camera is due to be collected tomorrow and I should know by then when to expect a replacement.

I was going to wait to see how I get on with the EM5 before deciding which FT camera to sell - probably the E620. The 90-250 may go too as it gets little use.

Rens
21st December 2012, 02:06 AM
Defects don't inspire confidence.

Indeed. But I presume those of us with the dark frame problem are in the minority, I guess we'd have an avalanche of complaints otherwise.

Despite this being a grey import (I presume), ProCameraShop were suggesting Olympus would honour the warranty. Their first offer was a goodwill spare battery or SD card if I sent the camera to Olympus for repair. I can understand this would have been easier for them, but when I said I wanted a replacement for such a new camera, they didn't argue.

My replacement camera comes with the latest firmware, 1.5 rather than the 1.2 of the defective camera. I hope this means it's a later camera and the dark frame problem has been addressed.

Rens

Zuiko
21st December 2012, 08:49 AM
It's extremely irritating when new cameras are prone to this sort of fault, but the number of incidences seems quite small compared to the volume of sales.

Other manufacturers have their fair share of problems, too. Did you know that the new Nikon D6 splashes minute oil droplets from the shutter onto the sensor for the first few thousand frames? Nikon provide a free sensor clean after the problem has settled down but what a fiasco!

StephenL
21st December 2012, 11:22 AM
Did you know that the new Nikon D6 splashes minute oil droplets from the shutter onto the sensor for the first few thousand frames? Nikon provide a free sensor clean after the problem has settled down but what a fiasco!
Yes, but you have to clean the sensor after every lens change anyway, so no different there!

David M
21st December 2012, 01:36 PM
This is nothing new. Anyone using an early OM4 in the early 80's was basically a beta tester for Olympus. Around the same time I knew 2 sports photographers who had to revert to their Nikon F2's after problems with early F3's. There's probably other examples I've forgotten.

Alpha1
21st December 2012, 04:49 PM
I imagine that this might be the sort of problem that could be corrected in future firmware upgrades?

David Morison
21st December 2012, 05:01 PM
Not sure about reproduce-ability but I have had "black" frames occasionally when using the Metz MS1 macro flash on RC, switching camera off and on again corrects this for a single frame only. I suspect that this is a Firmware issue and not a shutter issue as it behaves OK with on-board flash or hotshoe mounted FL50R. Not tried it yet with the Oly flash on RC. Any thoughts?

David

Rens
21st December 2012, 05:51 PM

ProCameraShop asked me first to upgrade the firmware, which didn't help. Then they suggested I send the camera to Olympus for repair and offered me a free SD card or spare battery as a good-will gesture.

I can see this would have been easier for them, but when I said the camera was so new I wanted a replacement, they didn't argue. I sent the faulty camera back and received the replacement (which seems fine so far) less than a week later.

So good service from ProCameraShop.

Rens

Melaka
22nd December 2012, 06:14 PM
An excellent bit of work by Amazon. I completed the returns procedure on Thursday evening, they collected the defective camera yesterday and delivered the replacement this morning. It took well under 48 hours which is as fast as you can get.