PDA

View Full Version : Micro Stock

brianvickers
6th December 2012, 05:05 PM
Is it ok to sell the same images to more than one library?
(As Royalty Free microstock)
I have a handful of images accepted by Fotolia and Alamy - but so far I've made sure I've not sent the same images to both.

Seonnaidh
6th December 2012, 05:29 PM
They are your images. I have several images with two different agencies and they have both sold them several times. So far no complaints.

Nick Temple-Fry
6th December 2012, 06:03 PM
The point to keep in mind is that Alamy is fairly conservative in its definition of Royalty Free - so for an image to be accepted as such you need to own not only all property depicted (or have a property release) but also any design rights or corporate rights. Thus if your image includes a motor car - even if you own the car and supply a property release, Alamy wont accept that as Royalty Free because the cars design is owned by the manufacturer.

So possibly you would find an image accepted by micro-stock as RF - but which fails the RF criteria for Alamy. In which case you would fall foul of this clause in the Alamy contract

2.2 You cannot submit identical or similar images to Alamy as both Royalty-Free and Rights Managed. The licence type on Alamy for an image must be the same as the licence type for that image and similar images which you have on other agency websites.

Nick

brianvickers
8th December 2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for taking the time and your advice...you have confirmed my understanding.

sponner
11th December 2012, 05:23 PM
I upload to various agencies, usually the same images across all of them.

Other than the Alamy conundrum highlighted above I have had no problems although I do have a few at fotolia as exclusive images to see if it made a difference to revenue.