PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM ?

bully74uk
22nd July 2008, 01:51 PM
Has anyone used this lens and if so how does it perform ?

Im asking because it seems a close match to the "nifty 50" that Canikons rave about for there camera's

Another question regarding this type of prime lens (sorry if its a stupid one), would this type of lens be suitable for macro shots ?

I understand that it would be good for indoor, low light stuff (due to its 1.4) and also portrait shots ?

If it would work for macro also then I might be tempted to save my pennies and rob the kids piggy banks.

Edit, just noticed Sigma do a 24mm in 4/3 which is even closer to a nifty 50 except its 1.8 and not 1.4

Garrie
22nd July 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi,

I don't have experience of that lens I'm afraid, however is the effective FL of a Canon nifty fifty not around 80mm as most canons bar the full frames have a 1.6 crop factor? I could be well off the mark here though.

Cheers
Garrie

nad
22nd July 2008, 06:02 PM
I got one and is very happy about it.

A bit soft at 1.4 but 2.0-2.8 it's very sharp.

Closest focus distance is 40 cm., so a marco it's not.

John Foster at BIOFOS has a very well ballanced and honest review:

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/s_30tst.html

niels

geirsan
23rd July 2008, 03:45 PM
I'm extremely satisfied with this lens, and consider it my favorite. You can see some of the images at www.whitezulu.com. There's no other lens to compare with it.

donmcmahan
9th December 2008, 08:36 PM
Mine lives on my camera, i use it a lot, it doesn't focus close enough to be macro and sigma's fast 50 would be a better portrait lens but as a fast general purpose normal lens it is brilliant