PDA

View Full Version : Elements HELP!

shirley
22nd July 2008, 08:38 AM
Hi
I am on holiday in Northumberland taking lots(!) of pictures.
Yesterday I downloaded 200ish pics into the organiser in elements in my usual way with no problems.
I got up at dawn this morning and I have downloaded the pics onto the hard drive but the thumbnails are not being generated in the organiser. I can still put them into the editor and edit in the usual way but its difficult to select images as I have to open each one in turn in the editor section to see what they are. Has anybody else had this problem and if so can you give me any idea as to a solution?
Thank you

snaarman
22nd July 2008, 09:13 AM
Hi there I use Elements 5, and sometimes use the organiser, but mostly use the editor. Anyway, don't you have to "find" or "search" the images into the organiser before they appear? Just having them on the hard drive isn't enough for the organiser, it needs to be told about them :-) Hope that helps. For info, I prefer to use Exifer to slide view my images. Its old and mostly free, but I think its faster than the Adobe organiser. You can link it so it calls up photoshop when you click on an image.. However it doesn't do "tags" if that is important to you Pete

shirley
22nd July 2008, 09:27 AM
Yes. I go to File, Get photos and then point to the camera. Usually the images are downloaded into the hard drive I select and then thumbnails appear in the organiser. This happened as normal yesterday but this morning all I get are hourglass icons in each of the spaces for images. The images are there because I can edit them but because I cant see them in the organiser I dont know which I want to open and edit. Its really just inconvenient. I do have over 12000 images in the organiser so I was wondering if I just have too many.
thanks

snaarman
22nd July 2008, 09:40 AM
Ah, can't help much more.. you've got beyond my limits of knowledge :-) Er, 12k images! I thought I was knee deep in them, but I only have 5800 on the computer at present... Pete

Scapula Memory
22nd July 2008, 09:44 AM
Shirley,

If it is Elements 6 there is an option in one of the menus ( at work cannot remember! ) to regenerate or refresh thumbnails. It may even say re-connect. I have this problem from time to time but not sure why it happens.

Have a search through the menus it is there if its PE6

It is under edit menu called update thumbnails. Or control+shift+U

OlyPaul
22nd July 2008, 04:22 PM
I could be complicated and ask if there is a small torn red triangle in the corner of the hourglass which denotes a broken connection to the thumbnail and tell you how to recconect.

But if they are just the ones you have just downloaded the simplest way is to selec all the hour glass thumbnails and delete them from the catolog NOT the organizer. Then just reimport them by going to file get photos and point organizer to where the images are and let it rebuild the thumb nails again.

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd July 2008, 04:58 PM
Sounds a bit like a memory capacity issue.

Try setting preferences Memory & Image Cache to a figure which is your total installed memory less 128MB

and if you have another drive available set the "Scratch Disk" to that drive ie D: rather than C:

Hope this helps

*chr

shirley
22nd July 2008, 05:23 PM
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I have tried to rebuild thumbnails, it says it is doing it, takes ages but then the icons remain.
Graham, I am not sure where this is, do you mean a setting in Elements ? I am in the process of deleting some images, a long overdue process, in the hope that this might help, however it doesnt look hopeful at the moment!

:confused: