PDA

View Full Version : Lock on 18-180

weecountyman
2nd December 2012, 11:52 AM
Just picked up a nice 18-180, no instruction leaflet though.

Is the zoom lock only for locking the lens at fully retracted (18mm) setting, or can it be used when set to other positions ?

The lens is quite heavy (relatively) and I assume it's to stop the camera body tilting downwards (when being carried over shoulder or worn around the neck) and the lens extending - in order to prevent damage ?

Of course, I could be talking complete mince. *yes

rsh1960
2nd December 2012, 12:23 PM
Here's link to download manual

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/zuiko_digital_ed_18_180mm_13563_downloads.html

weecountyman
2nd December 2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks, but that didn't help unfortunately - only identified lens lock as part number 10.

Melaka
2nd December 2012, 07:59 PM
Just picked up a nice 18-180, no instruction leaflet though.

Is the zoom lock only for locking the lens at fully retracted (18mm) setting, or can it be used when set to other positions ?

The lens is quite heavy (relatively) and I assume it's to stop the camera body tilting downwards (when being carried over shoulder or worn around the neck) and the lens extending - in order to prevent damage ?

Of course, I could be talking complete mince. *yes

Most zoom locks only seem to work at the short end and are intended to stop the lens from self extending under their own weight.

Sandyw
2nd December 2012, 08:23 PM
Weecountyman,

18-180 zoom locks only at the retracted 18mm position and it is to stop zoom creep whilst walking/moving with the lens.

Phill D
2nd December 2012, 08:25 PM
From memory of my old 18-180 I think David is correct. At least that is all I used it for when I had one. Ian Grego bought it, maybe he can confirm if he sees this thread.

weecountyman
2nd December 2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks all, that confirms.