PDA

View Full Version : Back up to OMD E-M5?

Alpha1
30th November 2012, 09:43 AM
Do you have a back up for your E-M5? If so what do you have?

I am curious as I have always taken a back-up with me on expensive trips and I don't know whether to get another OMD body, Pen EPL-5 with Viewfinder or I know not what?

The advantage of another OMD body is just one charger and battery system.

StephenL
30th November 2012, 09:55 AM
Fuji X10, but when the prices come down I will consider a Pen PM2 body.

Seonnaidh
30th November 2012, 10:00 AM
I'm without a 2nd body at the moment but under consideration are:
Panasonic G1/G2
Pen EP2
Or wait till the expense of Xma is over and buy a 2nd OMD.
Really undecided at the moment.

Greytop
30th November 2012, 10:27 AM
GH3 perhaps? :D

I only have one m4/3rds body at the moment so tend to use my better half's LX-3 as a handy backup.

Edit: Or I suspect if I asked nicely I could borrow either an E-PL1 or 2 from one of my daughters.

snaarman
30th November 2012, 10:31 AM
I have a PEN E-PL3 and the VF-2 finder (which turns it from a P+S into a serious camera). The tilting rear screen is a big advantage, it is good up to ISO1600. The controls are a bit small and fiddly but it feels quite nice to use. The shutter is a bit noisy considering there's no mirror.

However, by the time you have put the VF2 on the top, you do end up with a camera that is not that much smaller than the E-M5 .. :(

In retrospect, if I had known what was round the corner, I'd have waited another 6 months, gone for the E-M5 and not bought the E-PL3. But then I wouldn't have a back up camera at all.

Ross the fiddler
30th November 2012, 11:23 AM
I have a PEN E-PL3 and the VF-2 finder (which turns it from a P+S into a serious camera). The tilting rear screen is a big advantage, it is good up to ISO1600. The controls are a bit small and fiddly but it feels quite nice to use. The shutter is a bit noisy considering there's no mirror.

However, by the time you have put the VF2 on the top, you do end up with a camera that is not that much smaller than the E-M5 .. :(

In retrospect, if I had known what was round the corner, I'd have waited another 6 months, gone for the E-M5 and not bought the E-PL3. But then I wouldn't have a back up camera at all.

You weren't as mad as the rest of us constantly reading the rumour ('rumor') sites with the hint of something worth waiting for. :rolleyes: I'm afraid I don't have a back up, just my fall back on the E30 instead. ;)

peak4
30th November 2012, 01:40 PM
When I went away on holiday last, I took OM-D + E-PL2 as a backup/second body.
It is a pain needing 2 battery systems, but does leave you with a versatile combination. OM-D for general use with either 12-50mm or 14-140mm and the 7-14mm living on the PEN.

The advantage of this was that I didn't even know about the purple flaring OM-D/7-14mm problem until I read about it. :D

Also having the PEN-20mm gives a pocketable combination for going out in the evening, which 2 x OM-Ds wouldn't even if I could afford it.

Also when using the 100-300mm on the OM-D, I could pop one of the standard lenses on the PEN in case I happened upon anything closer.

Alpha1
30th November 2012, 03:28 PM
I know exactly what you mean Bill. Whenever I have the longest lens on for wildlife subjects, one of 'em invariably comes too close for the nearest zoom setting, no time to change lenses so the "back-up" with a wider zoom gets some immediate use! ;)

I never go to Africa for example without having two cameras each with a lens fitted at opposite ends of the focal range!

Swordfish
30th November 2012, 05:46 PM
I use a Pen EPL2, with or without a VF2. These can be picked up incredibly cheap and are extremely competent little cameras in my view.

As others have said, fitted with a 17mm it is very pocketable when walking around at night (I also have a tiny little tripod with flexi legs that goes in a shirt pocket and I have got some great night photos with it)

Also at other times it can be carried around with an alternative lens to the OM-D.

For me it's a perfect combination.

Martin

dko22
30th November 2012, 05:58 PM
Fuji X10, but when the prices come down I will consider a Pen PM2 body.

I would have got a PM2 if I hadn't already got a PM1. Not going to upgrade that. It may have a dinosaureal sensor and iffy IBIS but it's so CUTE and actually in many situations can take just as nice photos as the E-M5. What I really want as a second camera is the X100 but there's at least another couple of hundred to come off the price first because, to be frank, a second camera shouldn't cost much for an amateur and b) the last thing I would want to happen is to find the Fuji system too attractive and start lusting after the interchangeable lens models. Fortunately I'm happy enough with the E-M5 to have very little GAS these days.

David

ayewing
30th November 2012, 06:25 PM
I do not have a backup system as such but I do take two cameras with me on holiday. As a long time Leica user I take my Leica M9 and a few lenses as well as my OM-D E-M5 with a versatile zoom, 14-150, and a M43 to Leica M adapter so that I can use my rangefinder lenses on the OM-D. I think I would describe the cameras as complementary rather than as one backing up the other.

Ross the fiddler
1st December 2012, 03:29 AM
Does this count as a back up. ;)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1006/OB261468-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/55045)
The above OM-D E-M5 (minature) was a bargain on ebay, but downloading the images are a bit of a problem. :rolleyes:

And the OM1 minature behind it.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1006/OB261464-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=55044)

:rolleyes: Oh well, I thought it was a nice try. :D

*chr

Rooky007
1st December 2012, 12:56 PM
Can these still be got as like one for my 2 year old

OM USer
1st December 2012, 03:32 PM

Yes. Search on ebay for "olympus keychain (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=olympus+keychain&_sacat=0&_from=R40)". Scroll down to the section "ebay international sellers". They come in at around a fiver, postage paid.

Ross the fiddler
1st December 2012, 11:36 PM

It is a cute little camera, but not suitable for a two year old. Little bits (that may come off if they chew on it) can easily be swallowed by children & especially at that age. Just get it for yourself. ;)

Alpha1
2nd December 2012, 10:21 AM
Reminds me of when I used to buy train and Scalelextric sets for my three year old son..........he never got a chance to play with them then "as he might electrocute himself"....but I had a great time! Now, I see him doing the same with his boys!

We never stop playing with our 'toys", it's just that they cost a lot more now! :D

barrytoogood
5th December 2012, 09:49 AM
When I bought my OM-D I kept my E-P2 as backup, along with both VF-2 and VF-3 viewfinders (don't ask why, it's a long story).

After several months of using the OM-D, I never really use the E-P2 at all. The VF-2 is up on Amazon as we speak, and I'm thinking perhaps the other two should go.

Having just returned from three weeks in China, I only took the OM-D on weight grounds, and I had in mind that if any problems arose, I'd just have to rely on a locally-purchased compact.

I can see that pros need an immediately available backup, but I'm not really sure I do....

Alpha1
7th December 2012, 07:24 PM
After a lot of soul searching and thinking, I decided to get another OMD body. :confused:

I seriously considered a new Pen EPL-5 but then that would need a different set of batteries and charger and at least with another OMD, it is just one menu system to learn and one battery charger to pack on long trips away. Phew! *yes

So my order has gone off to ProCameraShop using their 3% discount for a direct bank transfer scheme, so we will see how they perform.

I have another long trip away coming up in January so it will give me a chance to set it up and try out a few lenses first.

Thanks to everyone for your input, believe me it really helped to summarise just what I needed out of a back up camera. *chr

Ulfric M Douglas
7th December 2012, 10:16 PM
Batterys are definitely a big factor in backup bodies.
I've managed to collect a huge load of bodies that all use the same battery ... but I don't yet have an e-M5.

Alpha1
13th December 2012, 05:03 PM
Just to conclude, ProCameraShop performed perfectly the transaction went through nicely and the camera was shipped immediately of receipt of cleared payment, ie 24 hours delivered next day.

The camera came complete with UK 13amp plug on the charger, battery and best of all a printed manual as well as the usual disc. *chr

Oh, and as yet an added bonus, the bezel on the LCD screen is not cracked across the centre screw either!

smartwombat
13th December 2012, 08:16 PM
My OM-D E-M5 backup is a second E-M5.

And the backup to both of those is an XZ-1.
It can use the same electronic remote and the same flash as its bigger brothers.