PDA

View Full Version : Hahnel battery now available

Bikie John
30th November 2012, 08:41 AM
I was just checking the Hahnel site and found this - http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=digitalcamerabatteries&vId=27&pId=838 . They obviously regard it as important as it was a headline link from their front page. I have used their batteries in the E1/3/5 and always found them to be excellent, behaviour in practice is identical to the Olys as far as I can tell. So much so in fact that I would not be at all surprised if Hahnel make originals for Oly and eventually get permission to put their own labels on them.

I have no idea yet of the cost of the Hahnel batteries. Their website says they have a few chargers that will fit it - I haven't looked into them yet. I have their Twin-V Pro charger which does 2 batteries at once and shows an approximate percentage charge, which is exttremely useful. I have sent an enquiry to ask whether there is an adapter plate for it to fit the BLN-1 or equivalent.

Cheers ... John

Shaw
30th November 2012, 09:02 AM
They are on Bristol Cameras website at £29.00 inc. vat

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-hahnel-hl-on1-bln-1-lithium-ion-rechargeable-battery.htm

Jetset95
30th November 2012, 11:09 AM
Dumb question time - will it charge in the Olympus chargers like the BLN-1?

jima
30th November 2012, 11:17 AM
That's good news - Hahnel make good stuff. I'd be very interested to see if they do a plate for the Twin-V Pro; I have been using one since my E-1 days and rate it highly.

Jim

dko22
30th November 2012, 05:31 PM
If it works with the Oly charger then you can probably count me in. If you need to pay another £20 to get a decent charger then perhaps not. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Bikie John
30th November 2012, 05:45 PM
I got a reply from Hahnel about the adapter plate for the Twin V Pro:

I’m not entirely sure about a compatible plate for the BLN-1 but if you come back to me at the end of January I will check again for you.

So I will.

And:
Dumb question time - will it charge in the Olympus chargers like the BLN-1?

Not sure but the omens are good, based on what they did for the E-5. When the E-5 came out Oly introduced a new battery, the BLM-5. Identical in size to the BLM-1 that the E-1 and E-3 used, but with 2 differences - higher capacity and an extra terminal which is apparently used to detect problems with charging. This meant that you could charge new batteries in the old charger but not old ones in the new charger - the charger would notice the absence of the fourth contact and refuse to play. The HL-M5 is Hahnel's equivalent of the BLM-5 and it has the fourth contact. I can't guarantee that it actually charges on the Oly charger, as I have always used the Hahnel one to do 2 at once, but I just tried it and didn't get any error indication. It behaved as I expected, being fully charged already - the charging light came on for a little while then went off when the charger decided that the battery was full.

I think it is the absence of the fourth contact on other third-party BLN-1 equivalents that caused the Oly charger to refuse to charge them. The photo of the Hahnel equivalent shows all 4 contacts so it ought to be OK. I have emailed them back to check.

Ciao ... John

ayewing
30th November 2012, 06:49 PM
I got a reply from Hahnel about the adapter plate for the Twin V Pro:

So I will.

And:

Not sure but the omens are good, based on what they did for the E-5. When the E-5 came out Oly introduced a new battery, the BLM-5. Identical in size to the BLM-1 that the E-1 and E-3 used, but with 2 differences - higher capacity and an extra terminal which is apparently used to detect problems with charging. This meant that you could charge new batteries in the old charger but not old ones in the new charger - the charger would notice the absence of the fourth contact and refuse to play. The HL-M5 is Hahnel's equivalent of the BLM-5 and it has the fourth contact. I can't guarantee that it actually charges on the Oly charger, as I have always used the Hahnel one to do 2 at once, but I just tried it and didn't get any error indication. It behaved as I expected, being fully charged already - the charging light came on for a little while then went off when the charger decided that the battery was full.

I think it is the absence of the fourth contact on other third-party BLN-1 equivalents that caused the Oly charger to refuse to charge them. The photo of the Hahnel equivalent shows all 4 contacts so it ought to be OK. I have emailed them back to check.

Ciao ... John

John, you may well be correct but I do not think we can rely on the number of contacts to indicate compatibility. I have two non OEM batteries which have the same five contacts that that the official BLN-1 has but they will not charge in the Olympus charger.

Hahnel is a reliable company and if they say their batteries are compatible I would expect them to be so. Still it would be good to hear from someone who has actually bought one.

Bikie John
30th November 2012, 07:04 PM
You are right to be cautious Archie, of course. I was just speculating.

I got a quick reply from Hahnel to my further query:

Yes, the hahnel battery will charge absolutely fine in the original charger also.

So it looks like good news all round.

Ciao ... John

brian1208
30th November 2012, 07:08 PM
a good "Spot" John and thanks for the follow up info from Hahnel

ayewing
30th November 2012, 08:13 PM
You are right to be cautious Archie, of course. I was just speculating.

I got a quick reply from Hahnel to my further query:

So it looks like good news all round.

Ciao ... John

Good news indeed. Possibly Hahnel have licensed the technology from Olympus which would be a reason for their batteries being more expensive than most of the other non OEM batteries.

Jetset95
1st December 2012, 01:47 PM
I ordered one today from Bristol Cameras, I've only got the Oly original and one that needs it's own charger, I like to have three batteries so if this one works in the original it will make a great second to carry around for short trips away and not have to take too much gear with me. I'll let folks know how I get on with it.

James

dko22
18th December 2012, 04:41 PM
any word on this one, James? Certainly considering buying if it turns out to be OK

David

I ordered one today from Bristol Cameras, I've only got the Oly original and one that needs it's own charger, I like to have three batteries so if this one works in the original it will make a great second to carry around for short trips away and not have to take too much gear with me. I'll let folks know how I get on with it.

James

Jetset95
18th December 2012, 04:49 PM
Just on my first use. It only arrived late last week due to delays at Bristol. It charges fine in the original charger. First time it had some charge in, so I left it on for hours, ran it down continuous use over a day, then full charge over night. Some use yesterday, with live view, and playing around with settings on the screen quite a bit and still doesn't show one bar loss in the camera. It's specs are identical to the BLN-1 so I hope it's performance is too. So far looking good but Ill report back after its had some torture over Xmas.

James

dko22
20th December 2012, 04:35 PM
thanks James -- I'll look for the post Xmas update and probably buy one early in the New Year if no issues are found. Do you think there's a chance that it actually is the same battery as the original -- obviously someone has made it for Oly.?

David

Just on my first use. It only arrived late last week due to delays at Bristol. It charges fine in the original charger. First time it had some charge in, so I left it on for hours, ran it down continuous use over a day, then full charge over night. Some use yesterday, with live view, and playing around with settings on the screen quite a bit and still doesn't show one bar loss in the camera. It's specs are identical to the BLN-1 so I hope it's performance is too. So far looking good but Ill report back after its had some torture over Xmas.

James

dko22
11th January 2013, 07:46 AM
I've got the battery now. I noticed that the power rating, at 1170mah is lower than the Oly and indeed both on the original top up change but also now on the first full charge from empty, it shows the full charge only for a rather short time before going down to two. With a calibration for the Oly battery, this is perhaps not surprising. Got more out of both 2 and 1 bars at the first attempt though I guess that even when it reaches full power, the life will still be lower. On the other hand it was £25 v £60 and works fine in the Oly charger.

David

James

jima
11th January 2013, 09:44 AM
Interesting. At 1170mAh versus 1220mAh for the Olympus I doubt you would normally even notice the 50mAh difference bearing in mind cell tolerances and handling/charging variations. Certainly, until a few complete charge/discharge cycles have happened the true full capacity will not emerge.

What is more concerning is that on the Hähnel label I notice that there is an additional line not often seen on packs which says "Min: 1020mAh" so while the "Typical" capacity is nominally 1170mAh it could be up to 13% less than rated in real life and of course 16% less than a full rated Olympus BLN-1. This spread of capacities could indicate that less attention is being paid to individual cell capacities and/or Hähnel are procuring further down the supply chain than they used to. Props to them, though, for stating this on the pack - better than the guys selling 2000mAh packs containing 1300mAh cells!

Of course, even 85% of the capacity of BLN-1 for less than half the price could be regarded as good value especially if it works in the Olympus charger, the cells hold their charge well and the term life is a good several years. It will be interesting to see how this develops, thanks for the reports.

Rens
11th January 2013, 09:50 AM
Of course, even 85% of the capacity of BLN-1 for less than half the price could be regarded as good value especially if it works in the Olympus charger, the cells hold their charge well and the term life is a good several years. It will be interesting to see how this develops, thanks for the reports.

I can confirm the Hahnel batteries charge in the Oly charger. I don't know how they compare regarding battery life, as I've no idea how many shots I've taken when I replace them, it hardly matters to me.

I've numbered my three batteries and make sure to rotate them in sequence so as to give them equal use.

Rens

Melaka
11th January 2013, 07:18 PM
I bought one a few weeks ago and have used it in the power grip. Its performance has been very disappointing - about three dozen shots before it starts to flash orange. I'm trying a few more charges in case that's the problem but it looks as if it may have to go back. On the plus side it charges OK in the Oly charger.

jima
1st August 2013, 09:51 AM
Update from Hahnel today re the BLN-1 and the Twin-V Pro:

"Unfortunately the Twin V Pro does not have a plate to charge the BLN-1 battery.

We do not currently have a compatible charger but keep an eye on our website for future updates on this."

James

Bikie John
2nd August 2013, 11:28 AM
I have been exchanging occasional emails with the helpful Joanne Matthews at Hahnel in the hope that they were coming up with something. I had heard from other sources that they would be unlikely to produce a charger plate for a battery that only fitted one camera, so last time I pointed out that the new E-P5 takes the same BLN-1 battery. Her reply was:

It appears that we are no longer developing a plate that would be compatible with the BLN-1.

Sorry for the bad news!

It's a shame. I really wish Oly would pull their fingers out and produce something a bit better than they currently do as it makes battery management quite difficult. Unfortunately it only occurred to me to add this to Ian's Japan requests thread when it was too late :(

Ciao ... John

dko22
2nd August 2013, 02:04 PM
I have to say that after highly erratic and increasingly poor performance from my Hähnel battery, I finished up returning it for a refund a couple of months ago and got an Oly original instead. Obviously plenty of people have had good experiences with 3rd party batteries but I don't need more than two so there seems little point in taking the risk again. Incidentally, Amazon are doing the BLN-1 for £41.99 at the moment which isn't that bad....

David

Melaka
2nd August 2013, 05:06 PM
If the third party people can do a charger that works on 12v and 230v it's difficult to see why Oly can't do the same.

I've been disapoointed with the Hahnel batteries - I have three - and bought one of these from Amazon to try instead
Ex-Pro® Olympus BLN-1, BLN1 [CHIPPED EXACT] High Power Plus+ 2 Year Warranty Replacement Lithium Li-on Digital Camera Battery for Olympus OM-D E-M5

It seems to work in the Oly charger as well as in my third party 12v and was a shade under £11.

Bikie John
2nd August 2013, 06:18 PM
I haven't used the Hahnel BLN-1 equivalents, but with their equivalents of the BLM-1 and BLM-5 (for E-1/3/5 and probably many others) I can't spot any difference in performance between them and Oly originals.

John