PDA

View Full Version : Tempt Me to Stay

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 09:00 PM
OK Wanted keep this thread to hopefully your kind guys tempt me to stay by showing me good images of your little ones if your happy to post with them moving and being able to capture sharp images or good images.

This is a let down for me at the moment but I really rather try and stay with the OMD as I have had it out of the bag more than the 7D came out. But it must of getting good images of our daughter. Ive thrashed about 200 so far and just about 6 keepers that not good

Seonnaidh
26th November 2012, 10:19 PM
Well I'm afraid I can't help you. I haven't taken any images of fast moving kids in poor light and at high ISO in my life.
I'm sure that someone on the forum has though.
Deciding if you want to stay with your OMD or not will be entirely up to you.
I get the impression that you are just not happy with the OMD and therefore you will never get the best out of it. Many years ago I saved up and bought a Hasselblad which I still have but it has hardly ever been used. I always seem to reach for my Mamiya
6 x7.
What exactly do you want from the OMD? If you are looking for virtually noiseless images at very high ISO's then perhaps the Nikon D4 might do the trick.
I don't have the same requirement from the OMD that you do. For what I require it
works flawlessly. However I am commissioned to shoot a Bollywood Dance performance on Saturday which will be under variable stage lighting. It is going to be a very steep and very quick learning curve. I will post some images on Sunday and you can see the results. I fully expect to be working at 1600 ISO minimum, I might be wrong but from what I've seen so far I am quite confident that I will get some very usable images from the OMD at the aforementioned high ISO's.
Lets wait and see.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 10:26 PM
Well I'm afraid I can't help you. I haven't taken any images of fast moving kids in poor light and at high ISO in my life.
I'm sure that someone on the forum has though.
Deciding if you want to stay with your OMD or not will be entirely up to you.
I get the impression that you are just not happy with the OMD and therefore you will never get the best out of it. Many years ago I saved up and bought a Hasselblad which I still have but it has hardly ever been used. I always seem to reach for my Mamiya
6 x7.
What exactly do you want from the OMD? If you are looking for virtually noiseless images at very high ISO's then perhaps the Nikon D4 might do the trick.
I don't have the same requirement from the OMD that you do. For what I require it
works flawlessly. However I am commissioned to shoot a Bollywood Dance performance on Saturday which will be under variable stage lighting. It is going to be a very steep and very quick learning curve. I will post some images on Sunday and you can see the results. I fully expect to be working at 1600 ISO minimum, I might be wrong but from what I've seen so far I am quite confident that I will get some very usable images from the OMD at the aforementioned high ISO's.
Lets wait and see.

I look forward to it and see what your though are :)

I am beginning to think I've a duff camera as many people are shock of my experience.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 10:27 PM
Also what you require it to do? I must admit it fantastic with static and landscape

timmypreston
26th November 2012, 10:42 PM
A good work man.....

tomphotofx
27th November 2012, 12:48 AM
Can't show you any low light high ISO moving people shots as I've not got any, but here are some interesting photos taken at night of people on the move etc.

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/olympus-om-d-e-m5-review-bukit-bintang.html

Hope you find it interesting as you seem to be struggling with the EM-5.

You can download the FULL SIZE HIGH ISO photos too.

Here is another happy chap well worth a look,

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/06/21/op-ed-why-i-sold-everything-for-the-olympus-om-d-e-m5/

Tom

Rens
27th November 2012, 08:34 AM
I look forward to it and see what your though are :)

I am beginning to think I've a duff camera as many people are shock of my experience.

The demonstrater EM5 I tried in the shop gave soft images. When I took the SD card home, all the other camera shots were fine, all EM5 soft. No idea why, but the one I bought is fine.

Rens

OlyPaul
27th November 2012, 08:37 AM
I presume from your post your Canon 7D can do all the things you expect of the OMD, so why not post some examples from the 7D of the kind of images you are talking about so we can see and understand what you are expecting from the OMD.:)

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 08:38 AM
The demonstrater EM5 I tried in the shop gave soft images. When I took the SD card home, all the other camera shots were fine, all EM5 soft. No idea why, but the one I bought is fine.

Rens

Maybe someone had been playing with the art filters and left it on soft focus.

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 09:04 AM
Am going try and master it all today and see what I can do.

Regarding filters surely it won't effect the raw images ?

StephenL
27th November 2012, 09:17 AM
Well, it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but this is my 2 year old grandson Josh on a playground slide. Admittedly it was taken in good light (Australia). Exposure details are: E-M5, 75mm lens, iso200, f4.5, 1/1000.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em5-211388.jpg

Chevvyf1
27th November 2012, 09:38 AM
Well, it may not be exactly what you're looking for, but this is my 2 year old grandson Josh on a playground slide. Admittedly it was taken in good light (Australia). Exposure details are: E-M5, 75mm lens, iso200, f4.5, 1/1000.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em5-211388.jpg

Stephen, FAB cardigan :) on your GS :eek:

StephenL
27th November 2012, 10:18 AM
Stephen, FAB cardigan :) on your GS :eek:

Thanks, we bought it from a Peruvian stall here on Haddington market! I think it's a bit warm for over there, but his mum is a bit OCD about not letting him get cold. *shrug

Seonnaidh
27th November 2012, 10:23 AM
Rooky,
If you follow the link that Tom has posted you will see some movement shots taken by
Robin Wong using high ISO.
They are excellent.

Chevvyf1
27th November 2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks, we bought it from a Peruvian stall here on Haddington market! I think it's a bit warm for over there, but his mum is a bit OCD about not letting him get cold. *shrug

Stephen, one of our Little ones has one from Peru from his mums friend there :) ... its so alike :) I wonder if they are knitted hand or machine :) I suspect machine for the mass markets :)

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 01:21 PM
Rooky,
If you follow the link that Tom has posted you will see some movement shots taken by
Robin Wong using high ISO.
They are excellent.

Ive just got home and going to have a shower and this study all this :)

Have you tried anything yet to practice before your weekend? If I can get shots like many people can it could come down to a duff camera or is that very unlikely

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:00 PM
Daughter not in to do some test but done some on dog and this what i always get when there are movements.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8224260380_bf99096990_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8224260380/)
PB270021.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8224260380/) by Rooky5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/89717647@N05/), on Flickr

StephenL
27th November 2012, 02:08 PM
Unfortunately I can't see the exif, but it looks like you've simply selected too low a shutter speed for the movement of the (lovely) dog's head. Everything stationary seems to be in focus.

Jetset95
27th November 2012, 02:12 PM
1/80 isn't exactly lightning fast - but it should be good enough to catch a resting dog. Having said that I've had lots of test photo's with the OM-D since I got it where there were a few perfect shots (low light, high ISO, kit lens just like you have here) and then quite inexplicably one that goes straight in the bin. My really soft ones are at slower SS than this with longer lenses - destined for failure - but you should really bolt a decent flash on or try it with some decent light so your SS can go up to the 1/250 range to see if you really have a problem.

Jetset95
27th November 2012, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately I can't see the exif, but it looks like you've simply selected too low a shutter speed for the movement of the (lovely) dog's head. Everything stationary seems to be in focus.
Stephen the EXIF is visible in the Flickr site - click on the "Additional Info" - "Settings" to the right of the picture that lights up blue when you hover over it. All there.

Jetset95
27th November 2012, 02:14 PM
One other thought - what was your IBIS set on, if at all?

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:14 PM
1/80 isnt fast no but people said and i have seen on the forum people shot at 1/60 and get great images of movement this what puzzles me.

I know having a flash on will solve it but it bright today in the lounge :)

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:15 PM
One other thought - what was your IBIS set on, if at all?

The IBIS was set at IS1

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 02:20 PM
Am going try and master it all today and see what I can do.

Regarding filters surely it won't effect the raw images ?

No, but I'd be surprised if the demo model in a shop wasn't set to JPEG only.

StephenL
27th November 2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks, I didn't go to Flickr, just right-clicked the displayed image.

I suppose it depends how quickly the dog was moving her head!

The rest of the image, in that plane anyway, are sharp so it's not a stabilisation problem. I still think it's down to shutter speed.

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks, I didn't go to Flickr, just right-clicked the displayed image.

I suppose it depends how quickly the dog was moving her head!

Wasnt that quick really but that to our eyes.

Shame weather wet as weanted to do test outside and see if I can nail some shoots at 1/250 and upward and if I can get any sharp images of either dog running at 1/500 then something wrong??

Ulfric M Douglas
27th November 2012, 02:24 PM
See the EXIF on the host page.
Rooky is using the 12-50 at 50mm and max aperture F6.3, shutterspeed 1/80s and ISO6400. The dog must be moving its head faster than 1/80s can cope.
Rooky owns the 45mm which would give him F1.8 and a similar view with much higher shutterspeed and/or lower ISO.
6400 is looking fine, is that the upper limit set in-camera?
There is a big white blurred object in the frame too, but we're not talking about that right? :)
The light is coming in from the window, moving dog across the room and shooting from the window will give better direct light and faster shutterspeeds.

My small child advice : Use 45mm, S-AF centre point, low-speed burst, auto-ISO with upper limit 12800 (:cool: whatever the big one is), take 2 or three shots per shutterpress with a steady grip, re-focusing for each short burst. Opposite technique to 7D's tracking. Use Jpeg Vivid, view in FastStone, job done.

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:27 PM
See the EXIF on the host page.
Rooky is using the 12-50 at 50mm and max aperture F6.3, shutterspeed 1/80s and ISO6400. The dog must be moving its head faster than 1/80s can cope.
Rooky owns the 45mm which would give him F1.8 and a similar view with much higher shutterspeed and/or lower ISO.
6400 is looking fine, is that the upper limit set in-camera?
There is a big white blurred object in the frame too, but we're not talking about that right? :)
The light is coming in from the window, moving dog across the room and shooting from the window will give better direct light and faster shutterspeeds.

My small child advice : Use 45mm, S-AF centre point, low-speed burst, auto-ISO with upper limit 12800 (:cool: whatever the big one is), take 2 or three shots per shutterpress with a steady grip, re-focusing for each short burst. Opposite technique to 7D's tracking. Use Jpeg Vivid, view in FastStone, job done.

May I ask what the Low Speed Burst?? I know the rest *yes

Faststone a no no for me as I a Mac user :)

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 02:29 PM
Daughter not in to do some test but done some on dog and this what i always get when there are movements.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8224260380_bf99096990_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8224260380/)
PB270021.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8224260380/) by Rooky5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/89717647@N05/), on Flickr

Rooky, in light that low why did you use the kit lens at 50mm wide open (f6.3) when you have a 45mm f1.8 that would have allowed you a much faster shutter speed at the same ISO? The dog's head is motion blurred, but the rug and chest of drawers are sharp. I think this is a large part of the problem.

OlyPaul
27th November 2012, 02:30 PM
This is simply a matter of to slow a shutter speed (1/80sec) to freeze the movment of when the dog turned it head, the body is sharp the head is not from what I can tell from such a small image.

It is quite apparant from other shots on your flickr stream of the same dog taken with the OMD at slower shutter speeds where it did not move that there is nothing wrong with the camera.

You need to better understand what shutter speeds are needed to freeze different types of movment.

If I tell you that it needs a minimum shutter speed of 1/125 sec to freeze the movement of a person walking slowly, then can you imagine the speed a animal/persons head achieves in the short distance it is turned sharply or a arm moved suddenly, they can achive speed in excess of 20mph.

I'd say it is more likely a case of operator error than a faulty camera.:)

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:31 PM
Rooky, in light that low why did you use the kit lens at 50mm wide open (f6.3) when you have a 45mm f1.8 that would have allowed you a much faster shutter speed at the same ISO? The dog's head is motion blurred, but the rug and chest of drawers are sharp. I think this is a large part of the problem.

I will try the 45mm now as I have been using that for past couple of days without success so I put the kit lens on to see if my 45mm was a funny one but appear it isnt so I go and have a go with the 45mm :)

Jetset95
27th November 2012, 02:32 PM
1/80 isnt fast no but people said and i have seen on the forum people shot at 1/60 and get great images of movement this what puzzles me.

ISO 6400 doesn't seem bright to me, that's why I suggested the flash

StephenL
27th November 2012, 02:33 PM
This is simply a matter of to slow a shutter speed (1/80sec) to freeze the movment of when the dog turned it head, the body is sharp the head is not from what I can tell from such a small image.

It is quite apparant from other shots on your flickr stream of the same dog taken with the OMD at slower shutter speeds where it did not move that there is nothing wrong with the camera.

You need to better understand what shutter speeds are needed to freeze different types of movment.

If I tell you that it needs a minimum shutter speed of 1/125 sec to freeze the movement of a person walking slowly, then can you imagine the speed a animal/persons head achieves in the short distance it is turned sharply or a arm moved suddenly, they can achive speed in excess of 20mph.

My conclusion also :)

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:33 PM

I think it a case of having the wrong lens too.. Dont forget I have come from a 7D with a 2.8 aperture through out the zoom so maybe I need to look into some better lens with aperture that low ???

20mm 1.7

but what zoom is good but not pricy?

I do love primes thou

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 02:34 PM

People can and do get great movement images at slow shutter speeds, but you see perhaps the one shot in fifty that succeeds, not the other forty-nine that get trashed in the recycle bin. To get consistently good shots of moving subjects, or static subjects that are prone to moving, you need to up your shutter speed. I wish I had a 45mm f1.8 for situations like this!

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 02:35 PM
The IBIS was set at IS1

IBIS will not correct subject movement, only camera shake.

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 02:38 PM

Sorry, Ulfric, you type faster than me! :D

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:38 PM
IBIS will not correct subject movement, only camera shake.

I know the IBIS wont make a different but someone was asking what I was using so answered their questions.

OK

I think my problem is I am am thinking back of the the 7D and it fast lens I had as I had lens at 1.4 and 2.8 that were throughout the zoom of the len that prob why.

I think I need to forget it all and move forward and learn and work with what I have got and to master the new way of photography with my gears. Shame no one is local to have a meet up and some lessons ha ha...

What other lens should I look into for the Oly as I do like fast lens.

OlyPaul
27th November 2012, 02:46 PM
E-PL3 , 1/50sec @ f1.8 , ISO1600 (you dare not go higher with the E-PL3)

If I had taken the image in between when he turned his head then it would have been blurred. At shutter speeds like these it is about timing not the camera.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1473/Gabriel3.JPG (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54937)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1473/Gabriel_2_.JPG (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54938)

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 02:49 PM
E-PL3 , 1/50sec @ f1.8 , ISO1600 (you dare not go higher with the E-PL3)

If I had taken the image in between when he turned his head then it would have been blurred. At shutter speeds like these it is about timing not the camera.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1473/Gabriel3.JPG (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54937)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1473/Gabriel_2_.JPG (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54938)

Those are lovely images Lovely dog too :)

I guess he was still when you took the image? I am NO problem taking static images at all

Jetset95
27th November 2012, 02:56 PM
I think it a case of having the wrong lens too.. Dont forget I have come from a 7D with a 2.8 aperture through out the zoom so maybe I need to look into some better lens with aperture that low ???
20mm 1.7
but what zoom is good but not pricy?
I do love primes thou
Rooky you won't get any M4/3 zooms lenses as fast as your old DSLR kit for less than 800 - currently the only ones available are the Panasonic F2.8 zooms (12-35 and 35-100mm) - I guess that's why I pop the flash on top of my camera when I'm shooting indoors with the zooms more often than now - with the primes it's not a problem (F/1.7-2.5)

The only problem with the Panny 20mm F/1.7 is it's slower to AF than on the OM-D than any other lens I've tested - Oly know about it but don't seem to have a fix, or be trying to fix it. That lens on my Panny G3 was the best by a mile.

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 02:56 PM
I know the IBIS wont make a different but someone was asking what I was using so answered their questions.

OK

I think my problem is I am am thinking back of the the 7D and it fast lens I had as I had lens at 1.4 and 2.8 that were throughout the zoom of the len that prob why.

I think I need to forget it all and move forward and learn and work with what I have got and to master the new way of photography with my gears. Shame no one is local to have a meet up and some lessons ha ha...

What other lens should I look into for the Oly as I do like fast lens.

Unfortunately fast standard zooms are not well represented for MFT at present. You are really looking at the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 (constant aperture) but it costs about 850. Then again, how much would it cost you to trade in your E-M5 and re-kit yourself with a DSLR and fast lenses?

Fast primes, too, are expensive, but the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 can be had for about 280. Don't forget, though, that your 12-50mm is a relatively fast f3.5 at the wide end and, coupled with the 45mm f1.8, should give enough flexibility to practice your technique.

Beware of the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, it's super sharp but slow and hesitant to focus, particularly in low light.

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately fast standard zooms are not well represented for MFT at present. You are really looking at the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 (constant aperture) but it costs about 850. Then again, how much would it cost you to trade in your E-M5 and re-kit yourself with a DSLR and fast lenses?

Fast primes, too, are expensive, but the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 can be had for about 280. Don't forget, though, that your 12-50mm is a relatively fast f3.5 at the wide end and, coupled with the 45mm f1.8, should give enough flexibility to practice your technique.

Beware of the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, it's super sharp but slow and hesitant to focus, particularly in low light.

What about the oly 20mm f2 or what ever it

I rather stick with the omd if I can make it work :)

StephenL
27th November 2012, 03:04 PM
The new mZuiko 17mm, when it's here, will focus quickly (as tested by Ian) and should be available for less than 449.

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 03:06 PM
The new mZuiko 17mm, when it's here, will focus quickly (as tested by Ian) and should be available for less than 449.

Sounds good once the price starts to drop hmmm

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 03:09 PM
What about the 17mm that available now and the 12mm

I am into macro a lot too and thinking about the 60mm 2.8 anyone knows if it good?

Ulfric M Douglas
27th November 2012, 03:20 PM
All distractions.
At least go and do what I suggested, we're about to make progress and the discussion drifts away ...

Low speed burst : in the SCP you have single shot, low speed burst, and high speed burst. Maybe even variations of that. Choose low speed burst, the SCP will then show "L" and an overlapping oblong icon.
Leave IBIS ON, this is an e-M5 after all.
Set to Aperture control. F1.8 on the 45mm

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 03:30 PM
Rooky, I wouldn't invest too much more in the system at this stage, after all you're still not even sure if it is right for you. Thowing money at new lenses won't improve your technique; practising and trying some of the advice you have had almost certainly will. Once you have got this sorted, by all means then splash the cash on some new toys. By then you should also have a better idea of which new lenses will be most beneficial to you, rather than just opinions on what we would prefer. Good shooting, and let's see the results! :)

Seonnaidh
27th November 2012, 03:56 PM
In the furtherance of science and the solution to Rooky's problem I have this afternoon at great expense and not without facing considerable danger tried photographing a relatively fast moving image in low light and with a high ISO.
I would like to point out that this is not a pure scientific experiment but just an ad-hoc try.
I would also like to point out that I was conducting a telephone conversation at the same time.

All I have done is suspend a tape measure from the light fitting in my study and induced it to swing around. I then tried capturing an image at 3200 ISO using CAF and holding the OMD with my right hand only.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Swinging_Tape_Measure.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54940)

Chevvyf1
27th November 2012, 04:30 PM
In the furtherance of science and the solution to Rooky's problem I have this afternoon at great expense and not without facing considerable danger tried photographing a relatively fast moving image in low light and with a high ISO.
I would like to point out that this is not a pure scientific experiment but just an ad-hoc try.
I would also like to point out that I was conducting a telephone conversation at the same time.

All I have done is suspend a tape measure from the light fitting in my study and induced it to swing around. I then tried capturing an image at 3200 ISO using CAF and holding the OMD with my right hand only.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Swinging_Tape_Measure.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54940)

Nice one - where is the noise ? and what ss ?

Bill Gordon
27th November 2012, 04:46 PM

Andrew Rookes I think that you are pulling our legs....I took a look at your images over at flicker and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, in fact......they aren't bad at all!!

Jim Ford
27th November 2012, 05:41 PM
Andrew Rookes I think that you are pulling our legs....I took a look at your images over at flicker and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them, in fact......they aren't bad at all!!

But perhaps his expectations are higher and can only be met by the latest Canon or Nikon FF cameras eg the Nikon D4 or Canon 1D MkIV?

Jim

Ulfric M Douglas
27th November 2012, 05:43 PM
He has a very ODD way of eliciting advice and strolling off to do the dishes while the light fades ... almost as if the discussion is worth twice as much as a solution.

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 05:44 PM

The static images are lovely I agree nothing wrong with them it catching movement without blurred I've got to master :)

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 05:47 PM
He has a very ODD way of eliciting advice and strolling off to do the dishes while the light fades ... almost as if the discussion is worth twice as much as a solution.

No....

All advices on here are noted I be doing more test when the light is right. I know with flash there won't be much problem it just low light without flash for movement in which I believe going be tricky. Dunno how Seo manage capture that tape measure just wondering what shutter he used.

Honestly everyone I am taking notes all being listen to. I rest assure none of u are wasting your time everything being said is a big help :)

Seonnaidh
27th November 2012, 06:39 PM
Here are the exact settings for the 'swinging tape' shot.
OMD E5 Serial No BEK 514464
Lens 12-50mm at 12mm
Aperture Priority. @ f3.5
Shutter speed 1/80th
ESP Metering
Autofocus @ 2.6ft
Auto white balance
Aspect Ratio 4:3
Sharpness 0
IBS 1
ISO 3200
Camera held in my right hand.
Anything else needed?

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 06:43 PM
Lens 12-50mm at 12mm
Shutter speed 1/80th
ESP Metering
Autofocus @ 2.6ft
Auto white balance
Sharpness 0
IBS 1
ISO 3200
Anything else needed?

And you manage capture that tape measure my gosh was it going round fast or slow.

Did u follow it round was that a fist shoot or several shots

Seonnaidh
27th November 2012, 06:59 PM
It is one of three shots. Two as per the first one posted the third a little blurred.
As for speed , well thats all relative to how you perceive things.
Take something weighing six ounce suspend it from a string/cable/ wire whatever about
2ft long pull it back approximately 18 inches and let it go. make sure you do it in a still
atmosphere as otherwise any air disturbance may affect the results.

Chevvyf1
27th November 2012, 07:15 PM
Lens 12-50mm at 12mm
Shutter speed 1/80th
ESP Metering
Autofocus @ 2.6ft
Auto white balance
Sharpness 0
IBS 1
ISO 3200
Anything else needed?

Jon, when I do this "swinging tape" shot I have to lean my elbow on my knee or desk for extra stability (even at is1) - did you ?

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 07:20 PM
Jon, when I do this "swinging tape" shot I have to lean my elbow on my knee or desk for extra stability (even at is1) - did you ?

Have you manage to get a good shot?

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 07:21 PM
It is one of three shots. Two as per the first one posted the third a little blurred.
As for speed , well thats all relative to how you perceive things.
Take something weighing six ounce suspend it from a string/cable/ wire whatever about
2ft long pull it back approximately 18 inches and let it go. make sure you do it in a still
atmosphere as otherwise any air disturbance may affect the results.

Will try something tmr :)

Chevvyf1
27th November 2012, 08:09 PM

WEIRD really Paul, :) when Rockys still of a parked up tractor using the m4/3 lens 40-150 (on http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05) and settings of
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/6.3
Focal Length 96 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias -0.3 EV

I am keen to see shots of the 7D and to see their exif Rocky ?

Seonnaidh
27th November 2012, 08:14 PM
Chevvy,
No other support needed.
can't understand what the problem is really!

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 09:35 PM
Here one I took in low light and manage to get a shutter of 1/125 quite good. She did move a bit not much.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8225406788_080d68e51b_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8225406788/)
PB270022-2-Edit-Edit.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8225406788/) by Rooky5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/89717647@N05/), on Flickr

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 09:37 PM
WEIRD really Paul, :) when Rockys still of a parked up tractor using the m4/3 lens 40-150 (on http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05) and settings of
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/6.3
Focal Length 96 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias -0.3 EV

I am keen to see shots of the 7D and to see their exif Rocky ?

What are you saying about the tractor I think it a good shot.

I will fork out some 7D shots but I not used it for ages that why I got rid of it to get a smaller camera that was the whole point of moving to the OMD and I love the camera love the size It just the matter of mastering it

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 09:38 PM
Chevvy,
No other support needed.
can't understand what the problem is really!

Neither can I. I am amaze on the tape measure taken at 1/60 was it and that good must be the timing of taking the photo? Did you follow it with the centre point a CAF

Chevvyf1
27th November 2012, 10:02 PM
What are you saying about the tractor I think it a good shot.

I will fork out some 7D shots but I not used it for ages that why I got rid of it to get a smaller camera that was the whole point of moving to the OMD and I love the camera love the size It just the matter of mastering it

I think the Tractor is a Superb shot :) Optimum settings *chr*yes *yes

Seonnaidh
27th November 2012, 10:15 PM
Rooky if you are in any way disappointed with the above mono shot you want psychiatric help. Nothing wrong with the exposure and sharpness in that at all.
No I used CAF and the central focus point and judged when it would be in focus.
The activated the shut just before hand.

Ulfric M Douglas
27th November 2012, 10:33 PM
Quavers rot yer brain ...

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 11:20 PM
Rooky, your daughter is absolutely charming and, most important from a photographic point of view, perfectly sharp in the above shot. You are entitled to feel proud of this one and I think you can relax about your camera, it's fine. Just need to brush up your technique, practice lots, and keep that shutter speed up!

Note, if you are planning to convert to B&W you can easily shoot at ISO 12800 to get an even faster shutter speed. :)

Seonnaidh
28th November 2012, 10:33 AM
Ulfric,
I reckon I must have consumed tons of Quavers then. Whatever they are.

Rooky007
28th November 2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys and it appears I am getting the hang of it now. Was trying a 60mm macro early my word it sharp lovely lens too. Ony bough it though. The 75mm prime tickles my fancy too

brian1208
28th November 2012, 03:21 PM
Well done Rooky, sounds like you may be back on track

Yes, the 60mm macro is a superb lens, they will have to prise mine from my dead cold hands - they ain't getting it otherwise :)

Rooky007
28th November 2012, 04:07 PM
Thank you.

There are things I like get

60mm macro
Oly 17mm the new one when it out
Oly 75mm is it?
Grip ( this putting me off since thread on hairline crack)

Then am sorted

Seonnaidh
28th November 2012, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't worry about the the hairline crack being caused by the grip.
It would appear that the crack is not necessarily caused by or prevented by use of the grip.

Rooky007
28th November 2012, 05:24 PM
I bet having the grip is lovely to have on the camera do you have both on or just the grip? As I believe you can have the grip on, on it own and have the portrait grip on when needed?

Anyway this made me smile shows how good the 40-150 lens is

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8489/8226674331_6ffcc5a0d8_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8226674331/)
PB280025.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8226674331/) by Rooky5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/89717647@N05/), on Flickr

Zuiko
28th November 2012, 05:35 PM
Lens 12-50mm at 12mm
Shutter speed 1/80th
ESP Metering
Autofocus @ 2.6ft
Auto white balance
Sharpness 0
IBS 1
ISO 3200
Anything else needed?

Yes, three questions:-

1) What colour is the carpet in your study?

2) What was the ambient air temperature and was it constant throughout the room?

3) What was your left hand doing and was it anything likely to induce additional shake within your body?

:D:D:D

Jetset95
28th November 2012, 06:54 PM
Yes...
...3) What was your left hand doing and was it anything likely to induce additional shake within your body?

You naughty boy! *sarc

Jetset95
28th November 2012, 06:57 PM
I bet having the grip is lovely to have on the camera do you have both on or just the grip? As I believe you can have the grip on, on it own and have the portrait grip on when needed?

I think the grip is awesome, but I know some folks disagree, there is a thread somewhere discussing the merits of the Oly HLD-6 on the OM-D, and one of the members on here sold his to me because he couldn't get on with it.

I love it - the first part hasn't been off my camera since I got it, and the portrait / battery grip makes it feel so solid with a big lens that I've had that on much of the time too. The only problem with the full battery grip on it is it won't fit in my bag (Billingham Hadley Pro) without sacrificing the lens or something else in the bag, but that's not the cameras fault.

Rooky007
28th November 2012, 07:11 PM
I though with the first grip it need taking off to get to battery?

Jetset95
28th November 2012, 07:12 PM
Yep - god why does a quick reply have to be longer than ten letters - the answer is still yep!

Zuiko
28th November 2012, 07:14 PM

I don't think he literally meant the grip had not been off his camera, rather that he hadn't used the camera without the grip. :)

Jetset95
28th November 2012, 07:16 PM
I don't think he literally meant the grip had not been off his camera, rather that he hadn't used the camera without the grip. :)
Aww John don't spoil it :rolleyes:

StephenL
28th November 2012, 07:17 PM
Yep - god why does a quick reply have to be longer than ten letters - the answer is still yep!
Try nine spaces and a full-stop.

Jetset95
28th November 2012, 07:21 PM
Try nine spaces and a full-stop.
Okay .*chr

StephenL
28th November 2012, 07:28 PM
! .

Rooky007
28th November 2012, 07:29 PM
Going to invest into a grip as I had one on my 7D and loved the Portrait grip that why I like them.

Then again I wanted to move to a M43 to go smaller even though I am sure the OMD with it full grip is still smaller but I love the size it is now but I miss the portrait button

Seonnaidh
28th November 2012, 07:45 PM
John,
Study Carpet: Brown stripes with multi coloured highlights from spilling inks when re loading bulk ink systems.
Ambient air temperature: 17 degrees celsius.
Left Hand: Holding 'phone whilst talking to insurance man ref renewing 3rd party liability insurance.
Insurance Company: NFU
Blokes Name: Chris.

StephenL
28th November 2012, 07:45 PM
So you've decided to keep it then? Good! I personally only use the first part of the grip as I feel the portrait grip spoils the compactness of the camera.

Rooky007
28th November 2012, 07:55 PM
So you've decided to keep it then? Good! I personally only use the first part of the grip as I feel the portrait grip spoils the compactness of the camera.

I can't see point paying 200 and just using bottom grip if I pay 200 I be using it all

Chevvyf1
28th November 2012, 08:47 PM
Yes, three questions:-

1) What colour is the carpet in your study?

2) What was the ambient air temperature and was it constant throughout the room?

3) What was your left hand doing and was it anything likely to induce additional shake within your body?

John, YOU forgot the Key Question " PANTS ? Calvin Klein or M&S" ???? Support is a critical element in respect of photographers :) :cool:

Zuiko
28th November 2012, 09:09 PM
John,
Study Carpet: Brown stripes with multi coloured highlights from spilling inks when re loading bulk ink systems.
Ambient air temperature: 17 degrees celsius.
Left Hand: Holding 'phone whilst talking to insurance man ref renewing 3rd party liability insurance.
Insurance Company: NFU
Blokes Name: Chris.

Thanks Jon, I will try those settings myself. ;)

Zuiko
28th November 2012, 09:14 PM
John, YOU forgot the Key Question " PANTS ? Calvin Klein or M&S" ???? Support is a critical element in respect of photographers :) :cool:

I prefer to pick up lightly used ones at the Sunday boot fair - it saves precious cash for more camera equipment. :D

Rooky007
28th November 2012, 09:17 PM
John

Been looking at your ebook very intersting. Ive been to a few of those places in Lake District as we have a Static Caravan up there and go quite regular :) Cant wait to get the OMD up there :) Be after March now as Caravan Park close now

Zuiko
28th November 2012, 09:21 PM
John

Been looking at your ebook very intersting. Ive been to a few of those places in Lake District as we have a Static Caravan up there and go quite regular :) Cant wait to get the OMD up there :) Be after March now as Caravan Park close now

Sounds like you have a great base for exploring the Lakes, definitely something to look forward to for next spring. Where in the Lakes is it situated? :)

Rooky007
28th November 2012, 09:23 PM
It base in Ulverston been there for 5 years. Might get it moved but it a quite area which we wanted. We love going to Windermere and Bowness End. Kewick. borrowdale all over really :)

Zuiko
28th November 2012, 09:45 PM
Ulverston is a great location; ideal for Coniston Water, Wast Water, Dunnerdale, plus the coast around Morecambe Bay. A small hill named Top o' Selside to the east of Coniston Water makes a superb viewpoint for the lake and is one of my favourite views.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/GALLERY_WEBSITE_07.jpg

Jetset95
28th November 2012, 10:37 PM
I can't see point paying 200 and just using bottom grip if I pay 200 I be using it all

The point is you use it when you want / need to. If you don't need the portrait grip or the extra battery connected then don't bother with the extra weight, but you have it in your bag when you do. You don't wear all of your clothes at the same time do you just because you've paid for them?