How much would all this fetch 3 weeks all everything is boxed

OMD with Kit Lens
Oly 40-150
Oly 45mm

Tempting to get back to dslr

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 08:13 PM
Hi Rooky,

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. The best way to get a feel for current prices is to search completed listings on ebay, or study pricing trends in the "For Sale" section of this forum. :)

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 08:15 PM
Hi Rooky,

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. The best way to get a feel for current prices is to search completed listings on ebay, or study pricing trends in the "For Sale" section of this forum. :)

I reckon 1250 for the whole lot is the going rate.

I really dont want to sell but alot of images are going into the trash bin and I never had to do this before

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 08:23 PM
I reckon 1250 for the whole lot is the going rate.

I really dont want to sell but alot of images are going into the trash bin and I never had to do this before

Shame, you seemed to have got it a week or two ago. Any particular problems you're having now?

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 08:26 PM
Yes it such a Shame I love the camera but getting images of our daughter is being a nightmare not getting any sharp images at all. They all end up in the thrash.

As stated before she is such a wiggle and need to get shutter quite high about 250 but it hard to get that without having the ISO going higher than 3200 or 6400. This is with the 45mm lens

Someone mention getting the 20mm will help as it wider

Phill D
26th November 2012, 08:34 PM
Something sounds very wrong here. Care to post some that didn't work?

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 08:39 PM
Something sounds very wrong here. Care to post some that didn't work?

there all in the trash sorry otherwise I would of done.

Have you any kids if so show us yours and I can read the EXIF :) try and see if I am doing something wrong

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 08:40 PM
Yes it such a Shame I love the camera but getting images of our daughter is being a nightmare not getting any sharp images at all. They all end up in the thrash.

As stated before she is such a wiggle and need to get shutter quite high about 250 but it hard to get that without having the ISO going higher than 3200 or 6400. This is with the 45mm lens

Someone mention getting the 20mm will help as it wider

Well, a 20mm would give more DOF wide open, making focusing slightly (but not much) less critical. But beware, the 20mm is very sluggish to focus compared to the 45mm. The wider angle of view may make framing easier.

Surely you will have the same problem of needing a fast shutter speed and high ISO with any camera? I don't think an APS-C crop sensor DSLR will make much difference, but I accept that focus tracking will be better, if missed focus is one of your problems.

Are you thinking of a Full Frame DSLR? With fast glass that's going to be very heavy in your hands - and on your wallet! :eek:

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 08:45 PM
Well, a 20mm would give more DOF wide open, making focusing slightly (but not much) less critical. But beware, the 20mm is very sluggish to focus compared to the 45mm. The wider angle of view may make framing easier.

Surely you will have the same problem of needing a fast shutter speed and high ISO with any camera? I don't think an APS-C crop sensor DSLR will make much difference, but I accept that focus tracking will be better, if missed focus is one of your problems.

Are you thinking of a Full Frame DSLR? With fast glass that's going to be very heavy in your hands - and on your wallet! :eek:

I think it miss focussing the problem and yes I be going Full Frame Canon 5D MKII as can get one at about 1300 brand new since it now replaced with 5DMKIII. Ive still got one glass for it which is my Macro 100mm F2.8 L IS Lens. I sold the rest thou wish I kept the 50MM lens just incase ha ha I had a 7D before this OMD

I really want the OMD to work as I have had it out of it bag hell alot more than the 7D came out as didnt like the size. But if I am missing all the good shots of the little one it important I get images of her.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 08:49 PM
What would best way of Focussing?

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 09:07 PM
What would best way of Focussing?

I'm perhaps not the best qualified to give this advice as my own photography is generally more static. However, you might want to try face detection, with and without eye priority, if you haven't already done so. Also, you could try setting the camera on full-time AF, to give it a head start when framing a moving subject.

Menu > Gears > A (AF/MF) > Full-time AF > On.

How are you focusing at the moment?

Just a thought, if focus is the main problem, rather than shutter speed/high ISO, and the 7D focused OK for you, why not go back to that camera rather than Full Frame if you do decide to abandon the E-M5? It seems your main concern with the 7D was the size, but a 5DII will be even bigger and not likely to focus faster.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 09:10 PM
I'm perhaps not the best qualified to give this advice as my own photography is generally more static. However, you might want to try face detection, with and without eye priority, if you haven't already done so. Also, you could try setting the camera on full-time AF, to give it a head start when framing a moving subject.

Menu > Gears > A (AF/MF) > Full-time AF > On.

How are you focusing at the moment?

Just a thought, if focus is the main problem, rather than shutter speed/high ISO, and the 7D focused OK for you, why not go back to that camera rather than Full Frame if you do decide to abandon the E-M5? It seems your main concern with the 7D was the size, but a 5DII will be even bigger and not likely to focus faster.

Just wish I kept hold of my 7D till I decided if the OMD was the one ha ha..

I suppost your right regarding the size argh what a numpty I am. But I have seen images on the net that are crackers and that is why I am puzzled.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 09:11 PM
But I must ADMIT static images are MUCH better on the OMD than the 7D

Ulfric M Douglas
26th November 2012, 09:15 PM
... need to get shutter quite high about 250 but it hard to get that without having the ISO going higher than 3200 or 6400.
And what's wrong with ISO6400 on the e-M5?

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 09:22 PM
And what's wrong with ISO6400 on the e-M5?

We've now identified that Rooky's real problem is missed focus. ISO 6400 on the E-M5 is arguably better, and certainly no worse, than the 7D that he previously owned.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 09:34 PM
We've now identified that Rooky's real problem is missed focus. ISO 6400 on the E-M5 is arguably better, and certainly no worse, than the 7D that he previously owned.

Yes I agree the images quality out of the omd is better hand up there. But how we going improve my miss focus?

Phill D
26th November 2012, 09:37 PM
Sorry Rooky my kids have grown up and are too slow now to be a problem for me even with my old camera. Missed focus for kids though seems a bit odd for the E-M5 surely it is fast enough for that.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 09:40 PM
Sorry Rooky my kids have grown up and are too slow now to be a problem for me even with my old camera. Missed focus for kids though seems a bit odd for the E-M5 surely it is fast enough for that.

That what I though so trying see if I've a duff camera but need prove it first

jima
26th November 2012, 09:43 PM
Seconded, I don't know what it is but you're doing something wrong, Rooky. Not sure changing camera brand will help. Maybe you've got a duffer? My two grandchildren are like Mexican jumping beans and being able to watch them on the live display and use the live shot on the touch screen is like magic - focus and click in the blink of an eye even in badly lit shops. Better keeper rate than with the E-5, that's for sure! FYI I'm using the 12-50mm lens.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 09:52 PM
Seconded, I don't know what it is but you're doing something wrong, Rooky. Not sure changing camera brand will help. Maybe you've got a duffer? My two grandchildren are like Mexican jumping beans and being able to watch them on the live display and use the live shot on the touch screen is like magic - focus and click in the blink of an eye even in badly lit shops. Better keeper rate than with the E-5, that's for sure! FYI I'm using the 12-50mm lens.

What settings do you use pls ie aperture mode or shutter mode etc. care give me inept detail I need try all this out to make sure I've not a duffer

Not sure how you manage to do it in badly lit shop show us some and the exif as need to investigate before I take it back to shop... Need prove it etc

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 10:21 PM
But how we going improve my miss focus?

Have you tried my suggestion of face detection, with and without eye priority, and with full-time AF?

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 10:23 PM
Have you tried my suggestion of face detection, with and without eye priority, and with full-time AF?

I've tried that a few times in the past weeks was not really any different to be honest

Seonnaidh
26th November 2012, 10:27 PM
Rooky, I think John is more than probably right.
Your problem seems to be focussing.
John's suggestion of face priority seems good to me.
I don't know what the others think but getting good focus with the OMd on moving subjects does take a lot of practice.
Three weeks doesn't seem too long a trial period to me.
I really wish I could be of more help but I do weddings and landscapes.
I've seen the results some of the forum have got on here photographing Sea Eagles in flight. I know how hard it is because I was there. The OMD is certainly a better tool for the job than the E5.

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 10:29 PM
I've tried that a few times in the past weeks was not really any different to be honest

OK at least we can discount that. What focus settings did you find were successful on the 7D?

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 10:29 PM
Just a shame we not near by and be able help and compare our omd to see if mine is ok or not.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 10:31 PM
OK at least we can discount that. What focus settings did you find were successful on the 7D?

I used centre weight and spot on 7d but they not perform as well on omd. Tmr a big testing day and different trails need see if I am doing things right or the camera poorly

Seonnaidh
26th November 2012, 10:35 PM
Well tomorrow I am about most of the day so post if you need any help.
I'm tempted to try and see if I can find a small hyper active child to try
and see if I can do any better.

benvendetta
26th November 2012, 10:39 PM
I would be surprised if the camera was duff. But saying that, without seeing results we can't begin to sort this out.

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 10:51 PM
When you do your next tests, Rooky, post some of the shots that don't work so we can see what we are dealing with. If possible, also post some of the keepers that you got from the 7D so we can see what you are aiming for. It may help us give you better advice and pin point the problem.

brian1208
26th November 2012, 10:52 PM
I seem to remember that you are not keen on flash but can I suggest you try the kit flash, even with higher ISO, as the focus assist should overcome any problems you are having with getting focus in low light

When my grand-children were at the "rushing about indoors" stage I was using the 7D / 5Dmk2 and was missing a lot of those unless I used the flash to help with focus

(now they are older all the rushing about is outside and up to ISO 800 light I'm never seeing a problem with focus)

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 11:01 PM
Brian has just made a good point, Rooky - have you got the focus assist light switched on? This works with or without flash, so you can still use it in natural light. It helps a lot in low light.

Menu > Gears > A (AF/MF) > 2nd page > AF Illuminate > On.

peak4
27th November 2012, 01:02 AM
It's unfortunate that I've not been round to meet you. I can't even do so next Monday with the Landrover club in the Grouse as I'll be away for a week or so. If you've not given up by the 2nd week in Dec we might manage to meet.
I've no small children to practice on though, but do take folks up on their suggestion to post unsuccessful shots here. It's nothing to be ashamed of when looking for assistance.

Seonnaidh
27th November 2012, 10:29 AM
Rooky,
Once again John has made a sensible suggestion. Is your focus assist light actually turned on?

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 11:08 AM
Rooky,
Once again John has made a sensible suggestion. Is your focus assist light actually turned on?

Yup it is on am not that daft ha ha

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 11:12 AM
I be home this afternoon to do some test :)

Phill D
27th November 2012, 08:14 PM
Have you done the tests yet?

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 08:21 PM
Have you done the tests yet?

Tape measure test nope.

Taking picture of little one in low light yes. With flash no problem without flash not too sure till I can get on the computer to look as little one not in bed yet and it my turn...

Replying from ipad

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 09:22 PM
Just looked at some without flash and I manage to nail a few today and they were at 1/125 shutter so manage to get somewhere once I am happy I post up an image :)

Rooky007
27th November 2012, 09:33 PM
Here one of them

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8225406788_080d68e51b_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8225406788/)
PB270022-2-Edit-Edit.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8225406788/) by Rooky5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/89717647@N05/), on Flickr

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 11:25 PM
Here one of them

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8225406788_080d68e51b_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8225406788/)
PB270022-2-Edit-Edit.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/89717647@N05/8225406788/) by Rooky5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/89717647@N05/), on Flickr

Like I said on your other thread, it's a cracking shot - you nailed it! :)

brianvickers
28th November 2012, 09:13 AM
I believe the 7D is better for focussing and moving subjects than the 5DMKII - as its a newer technology camera with two processors. The OMD seems to match up to the 7D in most comparisons.
The 5DMKII, while a great full frame hi ISO performing camera may be a step back in moving subject focussing.