PDA

View Full Version : Raw processing question

Rens
26th November 2012, 06:20 PM
I've loaded the Olympus Viewer 2 and tried it. It seems not to be as comprehensive as some others, but first impressions are it's easy to use and effective as far as it goes. So it must be pretty idiot proof.
It also is absolutely straightforward saving the processed images to the folder they came from, which I found slow and tricky in other programs I've had on trial - though this could have been me being thick (to quote my daughter).

My question is, if I save my processed image as a no-loss tif file, can I then open it in photoshop and work on an image that hasn't lost most of it's information (as I understand a jpeg has)?

Rens

StephenL
26th November 2012, 06:29 PM
Yes, no problems. As you could a jpeg. The difference being that every time you save a jpeg, it re-compresses and the image quality deteriorates.

Rens
26th November 2012, 06:42 PM
Yes, no problems. As you could a jpeg. The difference being that every time you save a jpeg, it re-compresses and the image quality deteriorates.

I saved some beer today. It was trapped in a bottle.

Thanks, this seems like a good way for me to go with RAW files, at least for the time being. And nice to see you're saving lots of beer, seem to do it every day.

Rens

jdal
26th November 2012, 06:48 PM
Make sure you save it as a 16 bit Tiff image, which gives much more lattitude for editing in Photoshop than 8 bit.

Rens
26th November 2012, 07:07 PM
Make sure you save it as a 16 bit Tiff image, which gives much more lattitude for editing in Photoshop than 8 bit.

Yes, I'm doing this. But I seem to have to convert to 8 bit when I'm ready to save the final image as a jpeg.

jdal
26th November 2012, 07:17 PM
Yes, I'm doing this. But I seem to have to convert to 8 bit when I'm ready to save the final image as a jpeg.
The Jpg format only accommodates 8 bits. I have no idea why Elements doesn't just change to 8 bits for the save only, because the way it is now you could end up saving the 8 bit version as your master.

Rens
26th November 2012, 07:35 PM
The Jpg format only accommodates 8 bits. I have no idea why Elements doesn't just change to 8 bits for the save only, because the way it is now you could end up saving the 8 bit version as your master.

I generally save the tif as well as the jpeg. This takes a lot of computer space, of course.

Rens

jdal
26th November 2012, 08:09 PM
I generally save the tif as well as the jpeg. This takes a lot of computer space, of course.
Rens

That's what I do, and I've often ended up with 8 bit Tiffs because of having to convert the image to 8 bit manually prior to a Jpg save. It should be able to do this automatically and undo it after the save. IMHO, of course!