PDA

View Full Version : Upsetting other forums

Rens
24th November 2012, 04:02 PM
In another thread Benedict said:

While you are thinking up questions for us here, do spill the beans on the forums you mentioned, just so I can go and upset someone over there. ;):D

Well Benedict, try (for example) the Nikon pro DX forum on dpreview. As well as good posters, there are a number of fragile egos ready to pour vitriol on anyone careless enough to say something they disagree with. Frequently inspiring more hysterical vitriol of the opposite pursuasion.

The vitriol spreaders usually come over as absolute authorities on everything photographic. It can be entertaining for a while, but not when at the expense of some harmless newcomer making a reasonable point.

A peaceful forum is an enjoyable forum.

Rens

Bill Gordon
24th November 2012, 05:40 PM
That is a good reason for staying away from DPR and most of the forums. That is why I like this great forum with real photographers who provide good information for novices like me!! Also, it is all about the people*chr*chr

Rens
24th November 2012, 05:52 PM
That is a good reason for staying away from DPR and most of the forums. That is why I like this great forum with real photographers who provide good information for novices like me!! Also, it is all about the people*chr*chr

In fact there are still decent people on dpreview forums, giving help when it's asked for. And you can click away from the tetchy spats, of course. But I agree, stuff like that is best avoided.

Rens

David M
24th November 2012, 06:07 PM
It's got to be 3 or 4 years since I visited DPRedneck, there was to many 'experts/pros' who'd obviously only owned a camera for a few weeks and only taken photos of their cats.

Rens
24th November 2012, 06:41 PM
It's got to be 3 or 4 years since I visited DPRedneck, there was to many 'experts/pros' who'd obviously only owned a camera for a few weeks and only taken photos of their cats.

Actually it's my guess some of them have had expensive cameras for a while. And taken a few very boring (and possibly technically perfect) photos, mostly to demonstrate the superiority of their particular gear over all other gear. And no photos nearly as interesting as pictures of a cat.

They come over as sad, inadequate and bitter people.

It's good to have questions answered (and I've had lots answered over the last few days) without any scathing comments.

Thanks to all, Rens

David M
24th November 2012, 07:11 PM
I found the 'experts' on ToiletPaper even more amusing.

Benedict
24th November 2012, 08:03 PM
In another thread Benedict said:

While you are thinking up questions for us here, do spill the beans on the forums you mentioned, just so I can go and upset someone over there. ;):D

Well Benedict, try (for example) the Nikon pro DX forum on dpreview. As well as good posters, there are a number of fragile egos ready to pour vitriol on anyone careless enough to say something they disagree with. Frequently inspiring more hysterical vitriol of the opposite pursuasion.

The vitriol spreaders usually come over as absolute authorities on everything photographic. It can be entertaining for a while, but not when at the expense of some harmless newcomer making a reasonable point.

A peaceful forum is an enjoyable forum.
Rens

Not always the case I am afraid. A good spat now and again never does anyone any harm - perhaps it just reminds them that their system isn't always the best! Interesting times ahead for me as a potential Nikon user I fear.

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 08:32 PM
One advantage of this forum is that it is still fairly small in number of members, despite excellent growth this year. Having said that, we have a higher proportion of active members than normal for a forum of this type and a high number of posts per user.

The result is a close-knit online community in which everyone "knows" everyone, at least in virtual terms. Plus we do have regular events where we really do get to meet each other. Also, although we may poke fun at other brands it is good humoured and we do recognise that other systems are a credible alternative to Olympus, depending upon individual needs. When people jump ship they never leave under a cloud and are always welcome to pop in, even if it is just for an online chat to let us know how they are getting on.

I suppose the bottom line is that as Olympus users we don't have egos, because traditionally we've been told by rival camps that we have nothing to be egotistical about! So we just carry on having a laugh amongst ourselves and take one or two pictures that aren't too bad, considering the cameras we use. :D

Bill Gordon
24th November 2012, 08:50 PM
Hi Rens....2001 I visited Hexham.....

Bill Gordon
24th November 2012, 08:53 PM
One advantage of this forum is that it is still fairly small in number of members, despite excellent growth this year. Having said that, we have a higher proportion of active members than normal for a forum of this type and a high number of posts per user.

The result is a close-knit online community in which everyone "knows" everyone, at least in virtual terms. Plus we do have regular events where we really do get to meet each other. Also, although we may poke fun at other brands it is good humoured and we do recognise that other systems are a credible alternative to Olympus, depending upon individual needs. When people jump ship they never leave under a cloud and are always welcome to pop in, even if it is just for an online chat to let us know how they are getting on.

I suppose the bottom line is that as Olympus users we don't have egos, because traditionally we've been told by rival camps that we have nothing to be egotistical about! So we just carry on having a laugh amongst ourselves and take one or two pictures that aren't too bad, considering the cameras we use. :D

Thanks John, you said it all and after all....I met you through this site and that was got us all together back in May!!

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks John, you said it all and after all....I met you through this site and that was got us all together back in May!!

Hi Bill, we've had quite a few events but I think you are the only overseas guest so far! I know that everyone felt it was a pleasure and a privilege to meet you. *chr

I was due to visit London today, this time with my local camera club but it was called off due to the bad weather we're having.

Rens
25th November 2012, 12:02 AM
Not always the case I am afraid. A good spat now and again never does anyone any harm - perhaps it just reminds them that their system isn't always the best! Interesting times ahead for me as a potential Nikon user I fear.

Nothing to worry about. I don't get involved in their silly prima donna-ish spats, just look for the (very) occasional useful thread.

Are you transferring to Nikon, or using two systems? I'm selling (I hope) my Nikon D5100 but keeping my D700 plus three decent lenses. Whatever the EM5 strengths, for out and out IQ the D700 will always win. So I'm fortunate I can choose between them.

Rens

Graham_of_Rainham
25th November 2012, 12:39 AM
I found a very quick way to upset the "Brand Fan Forums"...

Ask how many data transformations their precious pixels went through to produce the end product... :rolleyes:

David M
25th November 2012, 01:09 AM
I have more fun upsetting photographers I meet when out shooting, a lot I seem to come across these days seem to think they're pros because they photographed their cousins wedding and they have their own web site.

Ross the fiddler
25th November 2012, 02:20 AM

Ask how many data transformations their precious pixels went through to produce the end product... :rolleyes:

Ah, I like that one! :D

theMusicMan
25th November 2012, 08:57 AM

Ah, I like that one! :D
I would too I'm sure - if I knew what it meant :)

drmarkf
28th November 2012, 11:05 PM
Hee hee!

If you want a reasonably ego-free Nikon experience I recommend nikonians.com, although you do have to put up with a lot of guys with rather fixed opinions.

Graham_of_Rainham
29th November 2012, 12:40 AM
I would too I'm sure - if I knew what it meant :)

It's technical... ;)

Even in the "Good old Days" there were endless debates, discussions and outright rows over all manner of things. I recall one on the merits of lenticular over pearlecent screens, and me throwing in the case for a flat sheet of 8x4 painted Matte White :cool:

Film, developer, paper, enlarger; no matter what it was, someone always had an alternate viewpoint.

Sometimes, just for fun, at a club where I suspect there are those with very expensive kit, I throw in a comment along the lines of: "the macro mode on these little compacts is exceptional nowadays" :D

I really feel, that often, "Kit listing" is an attempt at self justification for having spent a fortune and having disapointing results against huge expectations.

Seonnaidh
29th November 2012, 10:49 AM
Oh Graham what a truly realistic and truthful comment.
I can remember when I used to judge and walking into many a club meeting and the first question after the introductions was often "What kit do you use?"
How very very shallow.

OM USer
29th November 2012, 11:54 AM
...the first question after the introductions was often "What kit do you use?"

I rarely change any of my kit unless I am forced to by circumstance, be it camera, car, hifi, phone etc. Consequently when I do buy stuff I research it carefully, make sure it suits my needs, and look after it. I am sure in my convictions of the kit I buy. I may well ask someone "what kit do you use?", but that is just me being nosey, searching out the USP of a particular item, and general interest in how the market is moving. I have no intention of changing based on their answer. I suppose what I am after is how someone makes the best use of what they have got - and you have to know what they have got to understand how they use it. If I based my decisions on a asking a hundred random people then I would probably not be using a mirrorless camera and would probably be driving a ford or vauxhall! Perhaps such people are just asking the "easiest" question that springs to mind as a way of starting a conversation rather than thinking carefully about the subject beforehand (in this case that would be knowing who you were and looking at your pictures).

David M
29th November 2012, 12:08 PM
Some people think it's the equipment that makes the image not the person behind it. I've never had a client ask what tools I use.

dko22
30th November 2012, 07:59 AM
I must say I sometimes froth at the mouth even at the titles of posts on DPReview, never mind the contents. But I'm afraid I have a masochistic streak and can never move away from there completely for very long. The sheer volume of posts means that someone will probably have a useful or pertinent comment. The problem is the signal to noise ration seems to get ever worse so I begin to wonder whether it's all worthwhile. Certainly this forum makes a pleasant change and there are not so many posts that it's impossible to keep up!

David

OlyPaul
30th November 2012, 08:38 AM
I have more fun upsetting photographers I meet when out shooting, a lot I seem to come across these days seem to think they're pros because they photographed their cousins wedding and they have their own web site.

Of course another way to upset them which I occasionally do is to tell them I am very proud to be a amatuer.

And when they ask why I say because the original definition of that word is someone who does something for the love of it, where as pro means you just do it for money. a bit like lady of the night Pro's who also do it for money and not pleasure.;)

gregles
30th November 2012, 09:43 AM
Of course another way to upset them which I occasionally do is to tell them I am very proud to be a amatuer.

And when they ask why I say because the original definition of that word is someone who does something for the love of it, where as pro means you just do it for money. a bit like lady of the night Pro's who also do it for money and not pleasure.;)

P****d myself laughing at that one Paul:D

OM USer
30th November 2012, 11:48 AM
...a lot [of photographers] I seem to come across these days seem to think they're pros because they photographed their cousins wedding and they have their own web site.

I did shoot a friends wedding once using my OM40 and OM4Ti (you may have gathered I'm passionate about Olympus) but in no way whatsoever am I a professional; perhaps "enthusiast" is a better term. I did this shoot as the happy couple were on an extremely tight budget, asked me, and it was me or no pictures. My gift to them was the album and all the negatives. Luckily all went well are they were pleased with the result. I'd do it again if asked under similar circumstances but I wouldn't volunteer.

David M
30th November 2012, 11:49 AM
I suppose I'm an amateur when I meet the weekend wannabees as I'm usually out shooting personal stuff.