PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else got this with their EM-5?

JonSchick
23rd November 2012, 10:05 PM
Seen a couple of threads about hairline cracks around the rear LCD, on DPR and Mu-43.com - eg see below:

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/omd-em5-crack-bottom-bezel-screen-normal-36685/

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50330633

Then did the silly thing of checking my own camera, and sure enough the bezel around my rear LCD is also cracked by the middle screw - and I treat my kit well so I'm pretty sure it's not me!

Anyone else got the same issue? Given this forum has friendly links with Olympus, I thought that we may be able to get a polite request up the line to see what - if anything - can be done about it.

Cheers,

Jon

Zuiko
23rd November 2012, 10:17 PM
Yes, mine too! It's only a hair-line crack and barely noticable - I never would have seen it were I not looking for it, but that's not the point and it doesn't bode well for longevity. :(

It's a super camera , but I am increasingly having doubts about it's build quality compared to previous Olympus models, especially in view of the price.

Andrew Riddell
23rd November 2012, 11:07 PM
You got me worried, Jon! However mine is OK. It looks like an over-tightened screw to me.

Andrew (breathing again!)

Rens
23rd November 2012, 11:51 PM
Seen a couple of threads about hairline cracks around the rear LCD, on DPR and Mu-43.com - eg see below:

Then did the silly thing of checking my own camera, and sure enough the bezel around my rear LCD is also cracked by the middle screw - and I treat my kit well so I'm pretty sure it's not me!

Jon

No cracks on mine (yet - it's very new).

Rens

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 12:03 AM
At least it's on an easily replacable part of the camera. I seem to remember some E-3s suffered from the rear screen coming apart. In general, though, I would trust my E-3 to take more of a battering than the E-M5. However, it must also be remembered that, despite the price and the weather proofing, the E-M5 is not a pro spec camera. I wonder if a tiny spot of superglue would save an inconvenient return to Olympus? I once had to perform some superglue surgery to my Bronica ETRSi, so it's not an uncommon problem.

Greytop
24th November 2012, 12:14 AM
Sorry to hear you have the fault Jon and John, I must admit it doesn't inspire confidence this sort of thing.
I've had problems with a couple of E-M5 bodies that were kindly dealt with by SRS in their usual efficient manner *chr

I've just checked mine and it appears to be OK although my eyesight at shorter focal lengths is not as good as it once was ;)

I'm sure Oly UK will step up and do the right thing. I shall be following this thread with interest.

David Morison
24th November 2012, 08:08 AM
Mine seems OK so far and I use it every day. I must admit though that the screen does look a pretty flimsy affair and other aspects of the camera are also showing wear long before I expected. If I do get a crack and it has to go back, leaving without a camera for landscapes and macro then it will be curtains for Olympus as far as I am concerned. While I love most (but not all) of what the camera does I don't like the way it does it.

David

JonSchick
24th November 2012, 08:52 AM
Yes - build quality is not giving me confidence: light years from my GF-1, E-1 and Pentax bodies, all of which were much more robust. The EM-5 seems to be more of an Alfa Romeo than an Audi... But Alfa's are a fun drive.

snaarman
24th November 2012, 09:01 AM
Hmm. Yes, I'm staring at the Crack of Doom too...

Ross the fiddler
24th November 2012, 09:52 AM
Yes, it is happening to mine too, but I'm not worried about it. It is interesting when looking at the back of it, that the edge does not crack but the front face does.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1006/PB233070-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54758)

John, don't use super glue unless it isn't under any warranty cover, because the chances of keeping the glue to just the crack can easily be blown & then there will be a smear of glue on the frame. :rolleyes: I wonder if Olympus will come up with a fix similar to the E3 screen situation & replace the cover (free) if it goes in for a service.

Phill D
24th November 2012, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a typical cost reduction exercise on the plastic that's caught them out through variation in screw tightening on the build line. Seems to me that as is too often the case these days the first buyers are being used as development testers so Oly should instigate a free repair service. It will cost them a bit but nothing when compared to the retention of their good name and the profits they will have made on the original cameras. If they react quickly and positively to this it will gain them a lot in customer confidence for the future especially with the buyers who switched from other systems for the EM-5.

David Morison
24th November 2012, 10:50 AM
Having looked more closely at mine it would appear to me that the LCD housing is metal as it is too thin in places to be plastic. If this is the case it is more than likely to be a design flaw which will not be cured by just a replacement? In addition as this is a weatherproof camera isn't this a place where any ingress of moisture would have more than just a cosmetic effect?

Oh dear!

David

Greytop
24th November 2012, 11:10 AM
I suspect Olympus are already aware of this fault, they have many demo cameras in the field at exhibitions etc so it must have been picked up. It shouldn't be a surprise to them.

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 11:12 AM
Yes, it is happening to mine too, but I'm not worried about it. It is interesting when looking at the back of it, that the edge does not crack but the front face does.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1006/PB233070-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54758)

John, don't use super glue unless it isn't under any warranty cover, because the chances of keeping the glue to just the crack can easily be blown & then there will be a smear of glue on the frame. :rolleyes: I wonder if Olympus will come up with a fix similar to the E3 screen situation & replace the cover (free) if it goes in for a service.

Ross, that's exactly how the crack on my camera looks.

Maybe superglue isn't such a good idea, but it would avoid the inconvenience of returning the camera to Olympus.

Ross the fiddler
24th November 2012, 11:47 AM
Ross, that's exactly how the crack on my camera looks.

Maybe superglue isn't such a good idea, but it would avoid the inconvenience of returning the camera to Olympus.

Actually, I wasn't too serious about the 'no glue' bit, ;) but I know how I've mangaged to smear it when I particularly tried not to. :o

*ohwell

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 11:58 AM
Actually, I wasn't too serious about the 'no glue' bit, ;) but I know how I've mangaged to smear it when I particularly tried not to. :o

*ohwell

The trick is not to try to apply glue directly from the tube to the camera (I would be in grave danger of completely smothering the camera) but apply in minute quantities using the tip of a cocktail stick or something similar.

Any volunteres to try ths first? :D

JonSchick
24th November 2012, 12:03 PM
No - I think I'll leave well alone and see whether Olympus come up with a fix: don't want to do anything that might invalidate the guarantee, and I'm not concerned the crack will get worse terribly quickly. However, it does seem to be a common issue, so hopefully they'll come up with a plan soonish.

Jon

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 12:06 PM
To get an idea of the scale of the problem could everybody inspect their own cracks, please.

Ross the fiddler
24th November 2012, 12:13 PM
The trick is not to try to apply glue directly from the tube to the camera (I would be in grave danger of completely smothering the camera) but apply in minute quantities using the tip of a cocktail stick or something similar.

Any volunteres to try ths first? :D

And remember which end to hold & don't swap ends by mistake. ;)

To get an idea of the scale of the problem could everybody inspect their own cracks, please.

No! Not that crack! :rolleyes: :D

David Morison
24th November 2012, 12:25 PM
This shot shows just how thin the edge of the LCD frame is (viewed from the back) which may indicate that it is manufactured in some sort of metal - magnesium?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_3719.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54769)

David

David M
24th November 2012, 01:11 PM
This takes me back thirty years and having to repair an OM4 with super glue. Having one of the first OM4's to arrive in the UK I got to beta test the camera for Olympus. After that I vowed never to be a early adopter again.

Bikie John
24th November 2012, 01:25 PM

Reminiscent of the conversation between two astronomers.

"Can you see Uranus?"
"Yes, but it makes my eyes water."

Sorry. I've already got my coat.

John

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 01:36 PM
Reminiscent of the conversation between two astronomers.

"Can you see Uranus?"
"Yes, but it makes my eyes water."

Sorry. I've already got my coat.

John

That's OK, John, I did set the stage for this type of wise-crack. ;)

Ooops, done it again! :D

jamsa
24th November 2012, 02:30 PM
Has anyone had a response from Olympus regarding this as I would like to know if they will repair/replace my screen under warranty but if they are getting many back there will be a delay...I also wonder if when we register a camera under warrantywhy they dont email the buyer to get them to check andto be up front an honest about such problems. IE do a recall like car manufacturers do.

David M
24th November 2012, 02:36 PM
Car makers do recalls for safety reasons.

On an unrelated note, I've just got a new hammer. How do I stop the head getting marked when I'm pounding nails in with it.

Mark Thackara
24th November 2012, 02:41 PM
Not come across this yet but if anyone would like their checked, out feel free to send it in to me at the southend address below and I will deal with it

Please please put you name and address with it in the box - you will not believe how many people don't

Mark Thackara
Olympus
Stock Road
Southend on Sea
SS2 5QH

Kees
24th November 2012, 03:03 PM

On an unrelated note, I've just got a new hammer. How do I stop the head getting marked when I'm pounding nails in with it.

That is indeed completely unrelated.

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 03:22 PM
Not come across this yet but if anyone would like their checked, out feel free to send it in to me at the southend address below and I will deal with it

Please please put you name and address with it in the box - you will not believe how many people don't

Mark Thackara
Olympus
Stock Road
Southend on Sea
SS2 5QH

Thanks Mark. Who's going to be first. The thing is, I like my E-M5 so much I don't want to be without it. If it turns out to be a sructural defect which will eventually lead to failure then I guess it will have to go back at some point. If it's just cosmetic and unlikely to spread I can live with it.

brian1208
24th November 2012, 03:37 PM
not on mine but its a classic place for stress cracking if the screw is overtightened in assembly

StephenL
24th November 2012, 03:52 PM
Mine is crack-less. I think it was one of the first in the country. Maybe this has some bearing on the build quality?

Alpha1
24th November 2012, 04:46 PM
I have just taken a look and yep, mine has got the same hairline crack in the centre screw hole. I bought mine in late August and it had only come into the shop earlier that same morning!

I don't think that I will bother taking it back as to be honest if I hadn't noticed this thread, I would never have seen it!

However I will notify the shop (in writing!) as they are a good stockist, and then if it does develop into something more serious at least I have mentioned it in advance.

peak4
24th November 2012, 04:53 PM
Mine is crack-less. I think it was one of the first in the country. Maybe this has some bearing on the build quality?

Yep, add me to the list, it was also one of the first available.

Thanks for your comment Mark, it doesn't look like it will cause any issues in the short term.
I'd be more inclined to leave it until towards the end of the warranty period. That way the whole camera would get a check over by your service technicians whilst still under guarantee, and any other unnoticed but developing problems would be rectified too.
Also if it is a general issue which demands a modification to the plastic moulding, much like the similar E-3 problem, I may as well wait until the new moulding is available.

jamsa
24th November 2012, 08:49 PM
yep, add me to the list, it was also one of the first available.

Thanks for your comment mark, it doesn't look like it will cause any issues in the short term.
I'd be more inclined to leave it until towards the end of the warranty period. That way the whole camera would get a check over by your service technicians whilst still under guarantee, and any other unnoticed but developing problems would be rectified too.
Also if it is a general issue which demands a modification to the plastic moulding, much like the similar e-3 problem, i may as well wait until the new moulding is available.

good suggestion :)

JonSchick
24th November 2012, 09:27 PM
Mark - thank you for your offer of taking a look at one of the affected cameras. Like others, I'm inclined to hold off for now as I have plans for mine until the new year. But depending upon whether there has been any more general type of announcement after that, I may get in contact and send you my camera sometime in Jan/Feb when it tends to get used a little less!

Thanks again,

Jon

cliff
24th November 2012, 09:33 PM

one more crack on the centre mounting of my one :(, it was new in September this year, I don't think its going to be a big problem, unless it lets water in or something, I've tried to upload a pic to the gallery and it says upload successful but I can't find the pic anywhere to post it...maybe I'll try an older camera phone

PeterBirder
24th November 2012, 09:54 PM
I may be wrong (I usually am :rolleyes:) but this may be a case of mass hysteria.

Like everyone else I couldn't resist checking mine. Guess what? I eventually found the reported "crack" although it took a bit of finding with a magnifying glass.:)
As David Morison says this appears to be a metalic component, feels like a diecasting to me, rather than a "plastic moulding". The "mark" seems to be too straight and precisely positioned to to be a stress crack and I could easily be persuaded that in fact it is not a crack but but a raised ridge. In either case this could be explained by a minute mark in the die used for casting. This (and the fact that some of us have better eye sight than others) would explain why some cameras have this "fault" and others don't as I'm sure Olympus have more than one die to their name.:)

Personaly I'm going to ignore "The Crack :eek:" and carry on taking photographs with the camera in the vain hope that I may eventually become a good enough photographer to fully exploit its capability before I actually wear the thing out.:D

Regards.*chr

ps.DONT use superglue. The surgeon who did my hernia op a while back used superglue and little bits of sticky tape and I nearly fell apart.:eek:

Ross the fiddler
24th November 2012, 10:32 PM
I may be wrong (I usually am :rolleyes:) but this may be a case of mass hysteria.

Peter, you may be right!
This an earlier photo (not with a sharp macro lens) that seems to show it was probably there back in July which might(?) indicate a moulding line rather crack. Either way, I'm not worried about it. You have to look real carefully. *yes

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/1006/P7122426-adj-cr-s.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54832)

This could be like the original 'noise' from the IBIS which also turned out to be 'a storm in a tea cup'. A response from Olympus on what it is will give us all piece of mind (for those that are worried about it). It is good of Mark Thackara to start the follow-up.

DJMC
24th November 2012, 11:21 PM
Mine's OK, no crack. Purchased June 2012.

There's a suggestion on DP that tripod mounting and/or over tightening an add-on grip may somehow have caused the cracks. Not sure how that could be?

:confused:

OM USer
24th November 2012, 11:31 PM
If I understand it correctly, the thinking here is that an overly large tripod plate will extend beyond the camera baseplate and touch the bottome edge of the screen, exerting some upward pressure on it. There have been some cases of people being unable to flip their screen upward once mounted on a tripod.

Zuiko
24th November 2012, 11:56 PM
If I understand it correctly, the thinking here is that an overly large tripod plate will extend beyond the camera baseplate and touch the bottome edge of the screen, exerting some upward pressure on it. There have been some cases of people being unable to flip their screen upward once mounted on a tripod.

Ah, I do use a large tripod plate and I've just fitted it to see what happens. It does apply pressure to the screen and stops it from flipping out. Also, if I flip the screen out before fitting the plate, then the screen won't flip back in by quite a significant margin.

Can anyone recommend a good Q/R plate of the correct size?

Ross the fiddler
25th November 2012, 02:03 AM
Ah, I do use a large tripod plate and I've just fitted it to see what happens. It does apply pressure to the screen and stops it from flipping out. Also, if I flip the screen out before fitting the plate, then the screen won't flip back in by quite a significant margin.

Yeah, the one I made for mine, ;) but sorry, you can't have it. Well, you still need to attach a tripod plate to it but since it gets in the way of the battery access, I rarely use it. There are a few others now on the market, ranging from cheap to expensive.

bredman
25th November 2012, 02:29 AM
FWIW there is no cracks on mine at all. It was one of the first in the country.

When i rub my finger over the 3 screws the middle screw is slightly raised compared to the other 2, only slightly. I don't know if it's supposed to be.

Zuiko
25th November 2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah, the one I made for mine, ;) but sorry, you can't have it. Well, you still need to attach a tripod plate to it but since it gets in the way of the battery access, I rarely use it. There are a few others now on the market, ranging from cheap to expensive.

Thinking about it, all I need to do is make a spacer out of thin rubber or something similar, then I can continue to use my existing plates.

Harbrimar
25th November 2012, 02:40 PM
For what its worth I have just bought the EM-5 (3 days old). I have examined the area and cannot see any cracks (yet!). I will keep an eye on it though. I have attached some photos. I do not have anything that looks like a moulding mark in the area.

Gwyver
25th November 2012, 04:04 PM
Ah, I do use a large tripod plate ...

John,
I use a model 'B9' Acra compatible plate from Really-Right Stuff. It is square and has a shallow anti-rotation flange. You can fit it with the fllange at the front or back - so it wouldn't interfere with the viewfinder deployment. See here for details: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyOlympusEM5&key=cat

They also make some smaller Acra compatible Q/R plates - which are intended for P&S cameras but would probably be OK with an EM-5 or the PENs unless you were using a heavy lens.
See here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?key=cat&code=BodyPnS.

Some words of caution are relevant. RRS products are excellent quality and priced accordingly! In addition they only sell direct and the shipping charges from the USA (even for such a small item) will add at least $36 to your price. There is also the Import duty and it's collection fee to pay at this end - so the total cost to you is heading towards 65 !!

Zuiko
25th November 2012, 04:30 PM
John,
I use a model 'B9' Acra compatible plate from Really-Right Stuff. It is square and has a shallow anti-rotation flange. You can fit it with the fllange at the front or back - so it wouldn't interfere with the viewfinder deployment. See here for details: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyOlympusEM5&key=cat

They also make some smaller Acra compatible Q/R plates - which are intended for P&S cameras but would probably be OK with an EM-5 or the PENs unless you were using a heavy lens.
See here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?key=cat&code=BodyPnS.

Some words of caution are relevant. RRS products are excellent quality and priced accordingly! In addition they only sell direct and the shipping charges from the USA (even for such a small item) will add at least $36 to your price. There is also the Import duty and it's collection fee to pay at this end - so the total cost to you is heading towards 65 !!

Thanks Chris, that's the ideal long term solution but the price is a bit of a deterent at the moment. Still, I have saved the page in my favourites for future reference. In the meantime I'm going to try making a thin rubber shim to alleviate the pressure on the screen whilst using my existing plates. :)

David M
25th November 2012, 04:38 PM
The Really Right Stuff plates are only a solution if your tripod head has an Arca Swiss compatible clamp.

Zuiko
25th November 2012, 04:50 PM
The Really Right Stuff plates are only a solution if your tripod head has an Arca Swiss compatible clamp.

That's what makes it a long term solution! :eek:

David M
25th November 2012, 05:26 PM
John, if you're looking at going with an Arca Swiss based QR system in the future there are probably plates available in the UK. I know Kirk and Acratech custom plates were available from UK suppliers last time I checked.

ayewing
25th November 2012, 08:30 PM

Like everyone else I couldn't resist checking mine. Guess what? I eventually found the reported "crack" although it took a bit of finding with a magnifying glass.:)

When I first checked my camera I did not see the crack but on looking carefully with a bright light and a loupe there it was. As it is such an insignificant crack I intend to ignore it unless Olympus advises otherwise.

Seonnaidh
25th November 2012, 08:33 PM
I've been reading this thread and examining my OMd and so far found nothing.
Just a thought, if this 'crack' is being caused by being over tightened on a tripod plate/ mounting then maybe the reason some of us who are not suffering from 'crack' syndrome
is because we have either not mounted them on a tripod or have the battery grip fitted which has negated the problem. Does that make sense?
My theory is, I bought mine at around the same time as some of the 'crack' sufferers
but from the minute it came out of the box it was attached to the battery grip which has been on there ever since. It is on and off a tripod every day.

Just a thought.

Zuiko
25th November 2012, 09:26 PM
Just a thought, if this 'crack' is being caused by being over tightened on a tripod plate/ mounting then maybe the reason some of us who are not suffering from 'crack' syndrome
is because we have either not mounted them on a tripod or have the battery grip fitted which has negated the problem. Does that make sense?
My theory is, I bought mine at around the same time as some of the 'crack' sufferers
but from the minute it came out of the box it was attached to the battery grip which has been on there ever since. It is on and off a tripod every day.

Just a thought.

That makes sense.

Ross the fiddler
26th November 2012, 12:01 AM

Just a thought.

Maybe. I might have used my tripod once before my grip was attached, but either way, it is a design fault that would be nice if it could be modified (for when tilting the screen down). A camera is designed to be mounted on any tripod fixture & if there was an issue with clearance, then a noted warning would need to be known. If this is the actual & only cause, then mine shouldn't get any worse if I continue with my grip plate attached & that should apply to all others that use an Oly grip or other aftermarket ones that clear that area. Here's hoping anyhow.

peak4
26th November 2012, 12:52 AM
If this is the actual & only cause, then mine shouldn't get any worse if I continue with my grip plate attached & that should apply to all others that use an Oly grip or other aftermarket ones that clear that area. Here's hoping anyhow.

Not in my case Ross, I've only ever used my own home made plate which offers enough clearance. In the short term, I don't see it being a problem anyway; only if cracks start to propagate all the way round and bits start dropping off.

Bikie John
26th November 2012, 09:38 AM
Mine appears to have it, and I don't recall having once put it on a tripod. it looks like a common feature so I'll not fret about it until Oly have had time to look into it and let us know what's happening.

Ciao ... John

jdal
26th November 2012, 12:26 PM
Re the tripod plate pressing on the base of the LCD, I have tried a Manfrotto cheapo plate and a Gitzo one. When I examine the base of the LCD with a magnifier there is a visible gap between it and the plate on the Gitzo. The Manfrotto has a gap when it's lightly tightened, but this closes up when the plate is tightened up fully. This must be to do with the compressibility of the rubber pad on the plates. You can also check by sliding a bit of paper between the plate and the LCD. If you can't do this you may be damaging your LCD.

DJMC
26th November 2012, 12:49 PM
If mine were to show a crack I'd certainly want it to be attended to immediately under warranty. Even with no crack there is the potential for it to happen to mine in the future, due to bad design. The camera is designed to be mounted on a tripod, without any warnings about the screen, therefore the manufacturer is to blame unless they say every cracked unit has been abused. Here's my reasoning as to why you should claim:

1/ Any 'claim' or potential claim under most warranties has to be reported immediately. This is to mitigate the costs of repair, as a small issue may be cheap to repair when caught early enough but more expensive if left to develop. Although these cracks are unlikely to become much more developed, Olympus could use any delay to defend a later warrranty claim.

2/ If left, you may become 'happy' with the crack and not realise your warranty period has expired. Once expired, if the crack becomes worse you may regret not having claimed.

3/ If the crack is caused by unknown stresses, future repetition of this stress may cause a catastrophic failure causing the unit to become unuseable in the middle of an important shoot or holiday.

4/ Upon future resale a known issue like this will be checked for by a prospective buyer, reducing the value of those affected. Those repaired will be favoured by buyers.

5/ Personally, I don't like using knowingly 'damaged' kit. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

Olympus should be inviting owners with cracks to return their OM-Ds for repair. I imagine they are working on a solution now. As this is now a widespread issue and the unit seems to be of 'unsatisfactory quality' I think a product recall of ALL OM-Ds should be happening quite soon. That includes mine.

:(

barrytoogood
26th November 2012, 02:37 PM
Mine has the centre crack - very fine/barely discernible. It certainly wasn't caused by tripod mounting - there's a couple of mm clearance there. It looks like the screw/panhead is too large for the hole and tightening it in manufacturing causes a slight bulge in the frame.

I can't think it's a lot to worry about. If the problem becomes more acute, Olympus will have to fix, but it doesn't look like any significant breach of the weather seal to me. People with more significant cracks may feel differently of course...:)

StephenL
26th November 2012, 02:42 PM
If mine were to show a crack I'd certainly want it to be attended to immediately under warranty. Even with no crack there is the potential for it to happen to mine in the future, due to bad design. The camera is designed to be mounted on a tripod, without any warnings about the screen, therefore the manufacturer is to blame unless they say every cracked unit has been abused. Here's my reasoning as to why you should claim:

1/ Any 'claim' or potential claim under most warranties has to be reported immediately. This is to mitigate the costs of repair, as a small issue may be cheap to repair when caught early enough but more expensive if left to develop. Although these cracks are unlikely to become much more developed, Olympus could use any delay to defend a later warrranty claim.

2/ If left, you may become 'happy' with the crack and not realise your warranty period has expired. Once expired, if the crack becomes worse you may regret not having claimed.

3/ If the crack is caused by unknown stresses, future repetition of this stress may cause a catastrophic failure causing the unit to become unuseable in the middle of an important shoot or holiday.

4/ Upon future resale a known issue like this will be checked for by a prospective buyer, reducing the value of those affected. Those repaired will be favoured by buyers.

5/ Personally, I don't like using knowingly 'damaged' kit. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

Olympus should be inviting owners with cracks to return their OM-Ds for repair. I imagine they are working on a solution now. As this is now a widespread issue and the unit seems to be of 'unsatisfactory quality' I think a product recall of ALL OM-Ds should be happening quite soon. That includes mine.

:(

My feelings also. (Except for the general recall, as mine is of impeccable build quality) Fortunately mine is, so far, uncracked, and the screws are all in to the same depth.

Frank N Furter
26th November 2012, 03:53 PM
Mine has a crack too :(

I don't have the option of returning it to my dealer (Jacobs) so I'll hang on a few days until Olympus come up with a solution; hopefully one what doesn't cost me a fortune in insured postage.

I had a similar issue with my E-3 and I'm sure there was a backlog of repairs until Oly sourced enough replacement parts. And as my bright (un)shiney new 12mmm black lens arrived today, I'll not be in any immediate hurry to send the E-M5 off and be without it for days/weeks.

(P.S. I'll be asking them to sort out the wearing paintwork on the top of prism at the same time)

BTW, despite these little niggles I still absolutely love the camera.

(p.p.s. Just remembered I've got a screen protector on there .... it's not likely to transfer over cleanly, so that's another cost for a new one :mad: )

jamsa
26th November 2012, 04:39 PM

Just a thought.

I have been using the battery grip on my camera since it arrived...and has never been rmoved but have the crack so now confused!!

Zuiko
26th November 2012, 04:46 PM
The tripod stress cause is only one theory. It may well be a cause but not necessarily the only cause. If there is a latent weakness at that point, any number of scenarios could cause the crack to develop.

rsh1960
26th November 2012, 05:37 PM
Has anyone taken the screw out to check that it is a crack and not just a mark from the moulding.

bredman
26th November 2012, 06:09 PM
Fortunately mine is, so far, uncracked, and the screws are all in to the same depth.

Interesting. I suggested upthread that as my center screw was not as deep as the other two then possibly there could be an easy fix. Maybe not. Although i suspect this is caused by the screw.

ayewing
27th November 2012, 01:54 AM
So is anyone brave enough to try taking out the centre screw? As I do not regard the problem as significant I will leave it well alone till we have some more reports. If necessary I can always send the camera back to Olympus before the warranty rums out.

Zuiko
27th November 2012, 02:23 AM
Now that the initial irritation has worn off, I'm not going to panic about it. I may see about sending it back to Olympus in the New Year despite the inconvenience, because I'm hoping this camera will last me even longer than the 4 years that I regularly used my E-3 so I do need to look after it. Let's see how things go.

Ross the fiddler
27th November 2012, 05:11 AM
Now that the initial irritation has worn off, I'm not going to panic about it. I may see about sending it back to Olympus in the New Year despite the inconvenience, because I'm hoping this camera will last me even longer than the 4 years that I regularly used my E-3 so I do need to look after it. Let's see how things go.

Oly Australia invited me to bring it in for them to check & fix. I replied that I was reluctant to be without my camera this year because I was having too much fun with my new macro lens & to deal with it next year with the hope that Oly Japan may have come up with a solution.

Ian
28th November 2012, 10:03 AM
Ah - glad that Mark T has responded. Neither of us had noticed this until we saw this thread.

Ian

DJMC
28th November 2012, 03:58 PM
Ah - glad that Mark T has responded. Neither of us had noticed this until we saw this thread.

Ian

Responded to what/who? Not sure what you mean Ian?

;)

DJMC
28th November 2012, 03:59 PM
So is anyone brave enough to try taking out the centre screw? As I do not regard the problem as significant I will leave it well alone till we have some more reports. If necessary I can always send the camera back to Olympus before the warranty rums out.

I wouldn't recommend anyone taking any screws out in case doing so invalidates your warranty.

;)

peak4
28th November 2012, 05:01 PM
Responded to what/who? Not sure what you mean Ian?

;)

Post 26 in this thread
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=200783&postcount=26 (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=200783&postcount=26)

Zuiko
28th November 2012, 05:49 PM

Ian

Does your E-M5 have a crack, Ian?

drmarkf
28th November 2012, 10:44 PM
I'm cracked, but its almost imperceptible by fingernail and I hadn't noticed it.
I've used the camera on a Kirk PZ-130 QR Arca plate, but this clears the bottom of the screen nicely and I can't see how this could be relevant.

I think we should wait at least a week or two before doing anything too hasty: Olympus should respond in that time. Certainly don't start dribbling resin adhesives around!

Fortunately I haven't yet sold my D300 or all my Nikkors so I could manage for a while if it needs to go in.

Pensionista
29th November 2012, 09:51 AM
I've just checked mine and the raised line is there. However, I do not think it is a crack, but a join. My brother who has spent many years in the plastic moulding industry, examined it under a loupe and is of the opinion that it is part of the moulding process and is not a fault as such. I'm not worrying about mine. Of course some people may have a manufacturing fault and that's different.

On the subject of tripod mounts, I use the manfrotto quick release, and if you don't have the grip attached, just turn it 90 degrees to its alternate orientation and it allows the screen to clear ok. This isn't necessary with the grip attached.

Hope this helps

brian1208
29th November 2012, 02:36 PM
see here - its been raised with Olympus and they are investigating

here: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-cracked-screen-bezels-20813 (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-cracked-screen-bezels-20813)

drmarkf
29th November 2012, 04:54 PM
I've just checked mine and the raised line is there. However, I do not think it is a crack, but a join. My brother who has spent many years in the plastic moulding industry, examined it under a loupe and is of the opinion that it is part of the moulding process and is not a fault as such. I'm not worrying about mine. Of course some people may have a manufacturing fault and that's different.

I'll have a more careful peek at mine this evening!

StephenL
29th November 2012, 05:00 PM
I've peeked and peered and poked, and cannot find any sign of a moulding mark. Which leads me to wonder if this component was modified, maybe for cost reasons, early in the production run. Mine seems to be an alloy, but other people have suggested theirs is plastic.

drmarkf
29th November 2012, 07:05 PM
Using a low-power loupe mine does seem to be a crack rather than a moulding mark, but its very hard to be sure and I'm certainly not unscrewing anything to check. I'll take it in to work tomorrow and have a look with one of our binocular microscopes.

Maybe body serial numbers may give a clue - mine's BEK501697.

Rooky007
29th November 2012, 08:52 PM
Have looked at mine VERY VERY close and no crack or mark or any lines at all and i have had the screen in and out alot to be honest

Invicta
30th November 2012, 06:13 PM

Oh no, add mine to the list of cracked bezels. It is very hard to see but with a magnifying glass there is a crack by the middle screw.

ephotozine has an update here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-cracked-screen-bezels-20813

ayewing
30th November 2012, 07:03 PM
I think I will wait a bit before contacting Olympus about the cracked bezel. If many people are sending in their cameras the Olympus service unit will soon run out of spare bezels and with Christmas nearly upon us I would hate to have my camera stuck in a service department awaiting parts. Anyway they may have to make some new more robust bezels and that will take some time.

Rooky007
30th November 2012, 07:35 PM
Also there might be just certain batch that are faulty if they find this out they may recal the ones that are the faulty batch

Invicta
30th November 2012, 07:38 PM
I found an easier way to check the bezel. If you run your finger tip along the bezel edge I can feel the bump by the middle screw where it is rasied up and the crack runs along the top of the bump.

There is no bump by the left or right screws.

Rooky007
30th November 2012, 07:50 PM
I found an easier way to check the bezel. If you run your finger tip along the bezel edge I can feel the bump by the middle screw where it is rasied up and the crack runs along the top of the bump.

There is no bump by the left or right screws.

Done this and nothing at all I only got mine 3 weeks ago though

drmarkf
11th January 2013, 03:13 PM
Like many other sensible people on here it seems, I've forgotten about this for the last 5 weeks or so and just carried on enjoying the camera.

However, I thought it worth asking now whether anyone had an update on what the official and unofficial lines currently were on cracked screen surrounds?

jamsa
11th January 2013, 04:28 PM
I too was thinking if Olympus hadgot to the bottom of things and found the crack, the problem and solution.

OM USer
11th January 2013, 04:53 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for Olympus UK to establish if there is a problem and if it is covered by the warranty. I know that these things are not overnight decisions and if they decide there is a problem then they need to engineer a solution. Replacing a cracked bezel under warranty every 6 months would not appeal to them or the owners.

mike_j
11th January 2013, 07:29 PM

Rubber nails.

Reverting to the original crack - mine was fine till it fell off a coffee table onto a carpet. Quite a soft landing but enough to start the crack off.

Zuiko
11th January 2013, 08:25 PM
If I remember correctly Mark Thakara did ask if somone with an affected camera could send it for him to examine. Probably, like me, nobody considers it serious enough to justify temporarily parting with their E-M5. :)

Ross the fiddler
11th January 2013, 11:16 PM
If I remember correctly Mark Thakara did ask if somone with an affected camera could send it for him to examine. Probably, like me, nobody considers it serious enough to justify temporarily parting with their E-M5. :)

I had the same offer from Olympus Australia & was also unwilling to part with mine, especially leading up to & over Christmas, besides which, what camera body would I use my (then) new 60mm macro lens on? :rolleyes:

jamsa
12th January 2013, 09:02 PM
If they want to collect my camera analyse the problem repair and return I am happy to be the test case.... With some assurances etc obviously