PDA

View Full Version : Camera Raw for Elements 10

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd November 2012, 03:02 PM
Just discovered that Camera Raw 6.7 for Elements 10 will not open E-PL5 RAW files.

Having got my hands on an E-PL5 at the Murder Mile Studio shoot with the new 17mm f/1.8 I was delighted with it's performance and superb image quality.

Then I thought I'd quickly clone a distraction from the background and PSE10 will not open it :(

OK there are other work around solutions, but wouldn't it be nice if Adobe could push these updates out, just a wee bit quicker... ;)

Jetset95
23rd November 2012, 03:18 PM
Since Elements 11 is now out you might find that ACR isn't updated for the older versions - I have LR3 and can't open OM-D RAW files in it :(

James

StephenL
23rd November 2012, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately it's an embuggerance that Adobe don't see fit to retro-update older versions of their software when new cameras come out. They must be rubbing their corporate hands with glee every time a manufacturer introduces a new model.

Of course, if makers would standardise on DNG ....

greeng
23rd November 2012, 04:05 PM
'Embuggerance' - word of the week, surely!

(Sorry not to be able to be of any help)

Ian
23rd November 2012, 04:54 PM
E-PL5 RAWs aren't supported by Adobe at all as far as I know.

By the way, Graham - you really need to discover Lightroom or something like that :)

Ian

Jetset95
23rd November 2012, 06:47 PM

By the way, Graham - you really need to discover Lightroom or something like that :)

Ian
I'd agree with you about LR Ian in terms of the step up in power, but for the life of me I can't get into a decent workflow with LR. I used PSE for years before I bought a Mac and as Adobe were being really sú$tty with me about transferring my PSE and CS4 license from windows to mac I've never given them another penny, so I switched to iPhoto and then to Aperture.

I really have a great workflow with Aperture, but I (as most Mac users are) am well aware of it's limitations - it does cost less than PSE after all - but last year Panasonic gave me free copy of LR3 with my new Lumix G3. I've tried, really I have. I'd love better noise reduction, love gradient adjustments, love lens correction - I just can't get comfortable with the layout, the file structure, having to jump between the Library and Develop tabs which seems to take ages...

If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd love to be able to get the cheap LR4 upgrade and develop my OM-D raws in that - I hear from my Panny owning friends that it renders pretty much any RAW file better than the ACR's of the past, so it must be better than Apertures efforts.

Maybe one day...

James

yorky
24th November 2012, 10:30 AM
I too tried lightroom but found it difficult to get it working as I am used to so I decided not to bother. I found dificulty saving the files with a name. Probably me but itjust didn't seem to justify the effoert and expense.

Graham_of_Rainham
24th November 2012, 11:28 AM

Ian

Looks like a wait for ACR 7.3:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw7-3/?tabID=details#tabTop

I know deep down that you are right, however it's that same old story of familiarity and comfort zones :o

I still tend to shoot as if I'm using film, so don't have large numbers of files to batch correct. I still try to get it right "In Camera", but for the times when I do process the image, simply using PSE is sufficient for my needs.

*chr