PDA

View Full Version : Windsurf Action with the EM-5 + 75-300

brian1208
22nd November 2012, 05:24 PM
I spent a couple of hours on the beach this afternoon shooting some wild Windsurf action using CAF mode and finally found out how to make it work properly, ending up with a better hit rate and equal / better results than I ever managed with my canon kit. The main factors were, good light, strong colour and contrast subjects filling 10%+ of frame and a subject I knew well so I was able to anticipate the action and give time for the CAF to lock on before starting the sequence of 4fps shots

A few examples:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/EM-5%20action%20shots%20using%20CAF%20mode/PB220325-Edit.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/EM-5%20action%20shots%20using%20CAF%20mode/PB220500-Edit.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/EM-5%20action%20shots%20using%20CAF%20mode/PB220468-Edit.jpg

and a lot more here http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery/sailboard-action-from-avon-beach-22-11-2012-16260 + a Blog on the action

donmcmahan
22nd November 2012, 07:00 PM
great stuff. would love to see some OM-D video of this action(hint;))

cariadus
22nd November 2012, 07:21 PM
Wow, spectacular. Good to know the E-M5 can handle those types of shots.

brian1208
22nd November 2012, 07:37 PM
great stuff. would love to see some OM-D video of this action(hint;))

Thanks, sorry - I haven't got to that bit of the Manual yet! ;)

Chevvyf1
22nd November 2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks, sorry - I haven't got to that bit of the Manual yet! ;)

"finally found out how to make it work properly, ending up with a better hit rate and equal / better results than I ever managed with my ..."

HOW ? please :D

SOrry sooo excited ... forgot to say MOST AWESOME images :)

rsh1960
22nd November 2012, 08:41 PM
Great set, Love No2

brian1208
22nd November 2012, 08:44 PM
Chevvy, its as I described at the start of my post, CAF, 4fps, single point focus (full size), point at the windsurfer of interest, half-press to obtain focus then start shooting (I didn't even take it out of IS1). To my amazement not only was it tracking well but even seemed to ignore "cross-overs).

I think the key here was having the luxury of time to enable good focus lock before I started shooting the action, once locked it seemed to stay locked, so long as I kept the surfer in the viewfinder.

I've no idea if I can get this to work with BIF shots and the like (I've had no success so far) but plan to sacrifice some bird shots on my next trip to my favourite Hawk Conservancy just to see if I can get it to work. (The poor BIF performance has been the biggest regret so far, even though I knew it would be, so if I can find a way of using it I will be delighted)

IainMacD
22nd November 2012, 09:01 PM
These are really impressive action shots a great demonstration of what this camera and lens combination can achieve - the best I have seen so far

The Saint
22nd November 2012, 09:18 PM
Very nice, reminds me to head down to the beach this weekend if the wind stays up like this.

Simon

Olybirder
22nd November 2012, 09:40 PM
Marvellous shots. I love the water effects in the last one, which give a great feeling of speed. Very impressive work Brian.

Ron

brian1208
22nd November 2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the positive comments all, remember - the real stars are the guys on the planks! :)

I'd love to hear if any of you give this a try and to hear how you get on / if you have any improvements in technique we can share. I'm sure there is more potential yet in this system - if we can only find how to liberate it

Swordfish
23rd November 2012, 07:10 AM
Those boys must be insane!

Great shots - you certainly got the focus tracking to work.

Martin

David Morison
23rd November 2012, 08:28 AM
Stunning shots and a credit to the photographer. Did you Use CAF or CAFtracking?

David

brian1208
23rd November 2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks Martin & David. I was using CAF without tracking David.

I prefer to do the tracking myself as it forces me to really concentrate on the action.

I must remember to try it with the IS in either IS2 mode or off to see if that gets more sharpness (not that there seems to be too much wrong with these with IS1 on)

OlyPaul
23rd November 2012, 09:19 AM
Great surfing shots Brian!*chr

brian1208
23rd November 2012, 09:34 AM
As you seem to like those here is another little sequence I enjoyed capturing

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/EM-5%20action%20shots%20using%20CAF%20mode/Alijump2.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/EM-5%20action%20shots%20using%20CAF%20mode/Alijump3steppingoff.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/EM-5%20action%20shots%20using%20CAF%20mode/Alijump4goingdown.jpg

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/oldcanon/EM-5%20action%20shots%20using%20CAF%20mode/alijumpwipedout.jpg

I liked the way the way the board carried on sailing once it had thrown him off

Alpha1
23rd November 2012, 09:47 AM
Brian these shots are just fantastic! *chr

It has certainly given me some faith in the little E-M5 for wildlife action shots and I will now go and try it again and if I can be as successful as you, I will definitely sell my ASPc DSLR and 70-400mm lens and buy a second OMD body instead!:D

As you correctly point out, anticipation is the key when photographing action and it is the same with wildlife. The best training is to put the camera down and just watch for a long time first to understand the behaviour, then and only then start clicking the shutter! Great stuff.

brian1208
23rd November 2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks Dave,

The best training is to put the camera down and just watch for a long time first to understand the behaviour, then and only then start clicking the shutter

Something I'm always trying to explain to people when teaching them wildlife, macro and action shooting - the same principle applies to all and I learnt to do this type of work because I applied my wildlife experience to it.

Bikie John
23rd November 2012, 12:28 PM
Fantastic action shots Brian, well done.

Do you find sequence shooting useful? Having been brought up in the days when a 36 exposure film had to last an entire rugby or cricket match I've never used it and prefer to time the shot. I sometimes wonder if there might be some better shots to be had in sequence mode.

Ciao ... John

brian1208
23rd November 2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks John. I have always been a "Single Shot to Get The Shot" man but have started experimenting with the EM5 in Low Speed sequence shooting and, in the right situation, it can help, as here.

I still tend to use it for single shots even when set to sequence shooting though and only keep the button depressed for a multi-shot when I see the action developing

I hate "Machine Gun" photography - "Spray and Pray" - no thanks! :p

Zuiko
23rd November 2012, 06:58 PM
Three stunning and spectacular pictures, Brian. Excellent work! *chr

donmcmahan
23rd November 2012, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE Do you find sequence shooting useful? Having been brought up in the days when a 36 exposure film had to last an entire rugby or cricket match I've never used it and prefer to time the shot. I sometimes wonder if there might be some better shots to be had in sequence mode.[/QUOTE]

I think the thing is to plan a single shot but shoot a burst.*chr

Phill D
23rd November 2012, 09:05 PM
Can't add much except for praise, they are brilliant action shots. Really makes me glad it wasn't me on the water though. Certainly looks a bit cold.

brian1208
23rd November 2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks Phil, the lads were telling me that the water was still suprisingly warm (as indeed was the sun).

Its quite shallow there, as you can see from the brown colour which is all the churned up sand, shingle and seaweed so it not only has the left over warm water from the "Summer" but also warms from the sun during the day.

Its a remakable piece of water where you sometimes see very strong colour zones as the water gets deeper and these change almost daily as the sandbanks constantly move with current and wave action

One of my favourite local beaches for wind and kite surf action

Greytop
24th November 2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks for posting these Brian, these are very impressive shots.

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 02:12 PM
Gawd knows how you manage these. It impossible to take images of my wiggle daughter without her getting blurred.

What the best way to set up the camera please?

Rooky007
26th November 2012, 02:17 PM
Chevvy, its as I described at the start of my post, CAF, 4fps, single point focus (full size), point at the windsurfer of interest, half-press to obtain focus then start shooting (I didn't even take it out of IS1). To my amazement not only was it tracking well but even seemed to ignore "cross-overs).

I think the key here was having the luxury of time to enable good focus lock before I started shooting the action, once locked it seemed to stay locked, so long as I kept the surfer in the viewfinder.

I've no idea if I can get this to work with BIF shots and the like (I've had no success so far) but plan to sacrifice some bird shots on my next trip to my favourite Hawk Conservancy just to see if I can get it to work. (The poor BIF performance has been the biggest regret so far, even though I knew it would be, so if I can find a way of using it I will be delighted)

ESP, Cenre Weight or Spot which one did you use?

brian1208
26th November 2012, 02:31 PM
Rooky, there is nothing special about getting these images (apart from knowing how windsurfers and their kit behave, so being able to predict when the action is about to happen)

its as I described at the start of my post, CAF, 4fps, single point focus (full size), point at the windsurfer of interest, half-press to obtain focus then start shooting (I didn't even take it out of IS1

The main factors were, good light, strong colour and contrast subjects filling 10%+ of frame and a subject I knew well so I was able to anticipate the action and give time for the CAF to lock on before starting the sequence of 4fps shots

The only other bits that may be of interest:

ISO400, f8, Av mode but with shuttter in the 1/640th - 1/1000th becasue of good light, ESP meter mode and around +1/3 - +2/3 expsoure compensation as I was shooting at around 30-45% off the sun