PDA

View Full Version : e-600 to e-620

freewheeler
22nd November 2012, 02:32 PM
Hiya, I've been pondering this for a short while, firstly forgive my ignorance if I am missing something obvious. If the e-600 is an e-620 with various options removed then would it be possible to have those options back by replacing the firmware on the e-600 with e-620 firmware or is it more involved than that? maybe different hardware in the e-600 brain. Just a thought.
Cheers, Dave

Ulfric M Douglas
22nd November 2012, 04:11 PM
Firmware won't magically create a blue light for the back buttons ...

Bovitz
26th November 2012, 10:17 PM
However if it was possible you would have the following:

The 3 missing Art Filters are: Pale and Light Color, Grainy Film and Light Tone.

There's also Multi-Exposure missing which the E620 can do over 2 frames. Both cameras have RAW Overlay/Merge edit feature in playback of 2 or 3 images

Illuminated back button would be nice but no deal breaker and not a firmware fix.

Multi Aspect Ratio 4:3 (Default)/3:2/16:9/6:6/3:4 from Live View. All these are just crops of the sensor. So won't miss them here, who hasn't cropped their photos to improve the subject anyway! I'd much prefer to use the whole sensor and crop later than miss something.

E600 doesn't have a wireless IR remote capability( i use an after market model that you simply plug into the usb socket.

You're not really missing much! The price reduction and trade off was hard to refuse for me and I'm happy with the E-600's performance.
The firmware question as been raised on other forums and although it would be great to purchase an E600 at almost half the price of the E620. Then be able to attain the missing features by firmware upgrade, even better. However the general consensus is, it is not possible.

PeterBirder
26th November 2012, 11:28 PM
The 3 missing Art Filters are: Pale and Light Color, Grainy Film and Light Tone.

You can retrieve these if you need them by using Olympus Viewer.

Regards.*chr

freewheeler
28th November 2012, 11:21 AM
The missing art filters are not something I really want but I'm from Yorkshire so always on the lookout for something free lol:).
If the brains are the same in both models then it must only be the firmware thats different but if thats all thats different why would the e-600 be a lot less expensive as the e-620? as I say it was just something I was pondering and thought I'd ask. I am perfectly happy with the e-600 up to now.
Thanks for the responses.
Dave

spn0923
2nd December 2012, 12:44 PM
me too
I got an addon wireless remote for under 15quid an ebay. The only thing I sometimes miss is backlighting at night but my old camera didnt have that either