PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - E-M5

Rens
20th November 2012, 12:59 PM
Yesterday my OMD arrived. I spent a couple of hours with camera and manual and sorted out some of the simpler settings.

But oh dear, this could be a very shallow learning curve, if not completely horizontal.

I aplogise now for the questions I'm going to be asking over the next few weeks. Is there a way you can block receiving my threads? If so, you might like to activate it.

Looks like a good forum, friendly with little of the mindless bad temper I'm used to on some other forums. At least, none that I've seen yet.

Rens

Ian
20th November 2012, 01:04 PM
Rens - you are of course most welcome and thanks for noticing the peaceful demeanour here! :D

Fire away with any questions you have about your new E-M5 :)

Ian

StephenL
20th November 2012, 01:21 PM
Just keep asking! We'll grit our tooth and bear it!!

Benedict
20th November 2012, 01:26 PM
Yesterday my OMD arrived. I spent a couple of hours with camera and manual and sorted out some of the simpler settings.

But oh dear, this could be a very shallow learning curve, if not completely horizontal.

I aplogise now for the questions I'm going to be asking over the next few weeks. Is there a way you can block receiving my threads? If so, you might like to activate it.

Looks like a good forum, friendly with little of the mindless bad temper I'm used to on some other forums. At least, none that I've seen yet.

Rens

While you are thinking up questions for us here,do spill the beans on the forums you mentioned,just so I can go and upset someone over there. ;):D

benvendetta
20th November 2012, 01:39 PM
While you are thinking up questions for us here,do spill the beans on the forums you mentioned,just so I can go and upset someone over there. ;):D

TP????????

Benedict
20th November 2012, 01:43 PM
Yes but now you are talking about the 'dark side' :rolleyes:

CJJE
20th November 2012, 02:16 PM
We're all still learning about the E-M5, it's just that some of us have been doing it for longer! And now I'm trying to find out why mine has started resetting the file number counter each time I reinsert the memory card and delete the old images!!

Seonnaidh
20th November 2012, 03:10 PM
rens welcome to the forum and don't worry there are several of us in here who are new to the OMD and we can all learn something from one another.

Zuiko
20th November 2012, 05:13 PM
It's a very complex camera. I like to think I've helped a few people but I've had at least as much help in return. Nobody can know everything and pooled knowledge is a real benefit of the forum. :)

OM USer
20th November 2012, 05:33 PM
Rens,
Welcome to the forum.

I've had my E-M5 for a few months now and it still surprises me. The days are getting darker and I keep hitting my max ISO so today I upped it from 2000 to 3200 and suddenly noticed that on aperture priority mode the Auto ISO setting in the display seems to blink at stupidly high shutter speeds (eg 1/50 sec at 12mm). So I'm now searching the manual (to no avail as yet) to find out when it starts to blink. I would have thought 1/(focal length*2) would have been reasonable as this is the rule of thumb as to when camera shake sets in on MFT.

(just added an avatar as I thought the space looked a bit empty without it)

Rens
21st November 2012, 11:39 PM
Rens - you are of course most welcome and thanks for noticing the peaceful demeanour here! :D

Fire away with any questions you have about your new E-M5 :)

Ian

OK, here goes. Why am I losing the touch screen method of choosing the focus point? It was there when I started, now it's gone. I have a circle in the centre of the screen, and I can choose the focus point from the grid but I can't have the camera focus where I tap the screen.

But I like the images. Getting dark, wandering down with Dog from work, here's the Rowley Burn. http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8290031639/photos/2325145/ford-over-rowley-burn-at-whitley-mill

I'm just using jpegs so far, haven't yet sorted RAW files.

Rens

Zuiko
21st November 2012, 11:52 PM
OK, here goes. Why am I losing the touch screen method of choosing the focus point? It was there when I started, now it's gone. I have a circle in the centre of the screen, and I can choose the focus point from the grid but I can't have the camera focus where I tap the screen.

But I like the images. Getting dark, wandering down with Dog from work, here's the Rowley Burn. http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8290031639/photos/2325101/ford-over-rowley-burn-at-whitley-mill

I'm just using jpegs so far, haven't yet sorted RAW files.

Rens

Hi Rens,

On the bottom left of the screen is an elliptical shaped box with the symbol of a hand inside it. If the hand is white, touch screen focus is turned off. If the hand is green and pointing to a square, touch screen focus is on. If the green hand is pointing at two green lines, touching the screen will set the focus point and fire the shutter at the same time. Just touch on this symbol to scroll through the 3 options.

Nice pic of Rowley Burn, btw. :)

Zuiko
22nd November 2012, 12:07 AM
Rens,
Welcome to the forum.

I've had my E-M5 for a few months now and it still surprises me. The days are getting darker and I keep hitting my max ISO so today I upped it from 2000 to 3200 and suddenly noticed that on aperture priority mode the Auto ISO setting in the display seems to blink at stupidly high shutter speeds (eg 1/50 sec at 12mm). So I'm now searching the manual (to no avail as yet) to find out when it starts to blink. I would have thought 1/(focal length*2) would have been reasonable as this is the rule of thumb as to when camera shake sets in on MFT.

(just added an avatar as I thought the space looked a bit empty without it)

You need to change the flash slow sync speed (this also governs the minimum shutter speed the camera will try to set even when not using flash).

Menu > Gears > F (Flash Custom) > Slow Limit > right arrow key to enable the box showing current setting to be changed then use up/down arrow keys to adjust. Note that the fastest speed you can select is 1/250th second because that is the maximum sync speed for the camera, but you are not likely to want it set that high anyway. There is no restriction on how slow you can set it.

Rens
22nd November 2012, 12:12 AM
Hi Rens,

On the bottom left of the screen is an elliptical shaped box with the symbol of a hand inside it. If the hand is white, touch screen focus is turned off. If the hand is green and pointing to a square, touch screen focus is on. If the green hand is pointing at two green lines, touching the screen will set the focus point and fire the shutter at the same time. Just touch on this symbol to scroll through the 3 options.

Nice pic of Rowley Burn, btw. :)

I have a rectangle with a fish in it. I've no idea what this means, but I expect I've done something stupid.

Rens

Zuiko
22nd November 2012, 12:25 AM
I have a rectangle with a fish in it. I've no idea what this means, but I expect I've done something stupid.

Rens

Sorry, I had to laugh when I read about the fish! I've not seen that before. :D

I'll get back to you when I've done some research. I've just played around with mine to see if I could get a fish but failed miserably.

Zuiko
22nd November 2012, 01:17 AM
Meanwhile I've changed the thread title to indicate that help is needed.

David Morison
22nd November 2012, 05:20 AM

Rens

I think that is the underwater flash setting, for when the underwater housing is used? Found in Button function.

David

Rens
22nd November 2012, 07:55 AM
Having left it overnight, it's back to the symbol you talked about and focusing where I tap the screen. Very odd. I'll have to see if it stays this way.

Rens

Rens
22nd November 2012, 07:56 AM
I think that is the underwater flash setting, for when the underwater housing is used? Found in Button function.

David

Thanks, I'll check this if the problem re-occurrs.

Rens

Rens
22nd November 2012, 08:45 AM
Meanwhile I've changed the thread title to indicate that help is needed.

Thanks, Rens

Zuiko
22nd November 2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks David, it is indeed a programable function of the Fn2 button, for using the underwater housing. Thinking about it, you wouldn't be able to use the touch screen with the housing anyway, so this setting obviously disables it. The symbol is listed on page 94 of the manual, but it isn't very explicit.

Jim Ford
22nd November 2012, 12:06 PM
I have a rectangle with a fish in it. I've no idea what this means

A fish was an ancient Christian symbol, so maybe it means you have to pray!

;^)

Jim

Ulfric M Douglas
22nd November 2012, 12:24 PM

Welcome to the forum Rens.
You win this year's gold star for correct use of the phrase "learning curve", something 99% of the population fail to do. *chr

Also, you are living very close to some keen forum members so good for you!

You just missed the Gilsland Spa meetup, but check our photo thread in the Events subforum.

I do not have an e-M5 yet, so cannot help you.
When someone sells me one for 200 all will be well in the world.

Rens
22nd November 2012, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Rens.
You win this year's gold star for correct use of the phrase "learning curve", something 99% of the population fail to do. *chr

Also, you are living very close to some keen forum members so good for you!

You just missed the Gilsland Spa meetup, but check our photo thread in the Events subforum.

I do not have an e-M5 yet, so cannot help you.
When someone sells me one for 200 all will be well in the world.

So nice that you noticed.

An OMD for 200 is a little way off yet. I bought mine from ProCameraShop, a UK based internet company. It cost 805 with a year's warranty but no 45mm lens, as offered in the UK but of no interest to me.

They responded rapidly and efficiently to my enquiries and appear knowledgeable about cameras. I'll wait before finally recommending them, but so far they seem to be an excellent outfit, and well reviewed too.

I'll check the events subsection as suggested.

Rens

donmcmahan
22nd November 2012, 05:25 PM
We're all still learning about the E-M5, it's just that some of us have been doing it for longer! And now I'm trying to find out why mine has started resetting the file number counter each time I reinsert the memory card and delete the old images!!
That would be because there is a setting in the menue somewhere that makes it do that, you just need to untick that box.....now with any luck someone can tell us all where to find it;)

Seonnaidh
22nd November 2012, 06:20 PM
I can help with this one.
menu - cog wheels - option H (record/erase) OK - file name -select Auto.
Jobs a good un.