PDA

View Full Version : Tripod mount on HLD-6 for strap attachment?

Jetset95
19th November 2012, 11:24 AM
HI all, does anyone use a Black Rapid type strap which attaches via the tripod mount, but with the HLD-6 grip attached? I just wondered if it was a stable set up or if it's better to take the grip off for that, or use a normal strap on the lugs?

Thanks, James

DerekC
19th November 2012, 12:25 PM
Yes I use one regularly with E-5 and HLD-4 attached.

Very good keep the camera out of the way when you are walking.

I don't like neck straps

Jetset95
19th November 2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Derek, but I was looking specifically for the OM-D grip because this doesn't have the connection plugging into the body battery space like the HLD-4 does, it's just fastened by a screw into the tripod mount on the body as far as I can see, which makes me worry a little that more pressure on this by fastening a Black Rapid type strap on the bottom and then slinging the body upside down on this might not be a good thing...

David Morison
19th November 2012, 04:33 PM
I've used one of these with a shoulder strap ever since I got the HLD-6 with no problems so far, but that's no guarantee.

David

Jetset95
19th November 2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks David - I won't hold you to it don't worry - just good to get real world feedback, much appreciated.

Gwyver
19th November 2012, 05:11 PM
I use a Black Rapid strap with my EM-5, but rather than attaching it via the tripod socket screw I connect the lockable snap connector through the OM-D's strap eyelet (split ring) on the left hand side of the camera body.

This arrangement works well and is robust - certainly has proved reliable & adequate during day long hill walks with a 4/3 12-60 lens + adaptor on the camera - though I'd be wary about using it with a heavier/longer lens. It also means that you can use the HLD-6 components easily, or else have a Arca style tripod QR plate fixed to the camera.