PDA

View Full Version : Image stabilisation on a tripod?

OM USer
16th November 2012, 06:42 PM
1) From the E-M5 Instruction Manual, page 49

Reducing Camers Shake
(!) Cautions
When using a tripod, set [Image Stabilizer] to [Off].

2) From the Olympus Lens Shooting Guide for the Zuiko Digital ED/M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_lens_shooting_guides.asp?lens=1345&utm_campaign=sept_lens_12&utm_medium=email&utm_source=em_sept_lens_12&utm_content=direct)

Shooting Guide: Capturing Near and Far Subjects
Tips
For nighttime shooting make sure a tripod is used, even with image stabilization on, to prevent any aberrations in a photograph.

So which is it? On or Off? Has anyone done some experiments to find out if you can use IS on a tripod?

Jetset95
16th November 2012, 06:49 PM
Coming from the lens stabilised Panny world if you're on a tripod it will prevent most movement if not all, but that little bit can cause the IS to kick and start the lens hunting around for the best position to stabilise it, leading to poor shots. If you turn it off and are careful, no need for IS.

On the Oly body with IBIS then I'm not so sure... Must be some experts out there with more experience than me (a month, and counting) to help out with this one...

brian1208
16th November 2012, 08:00 PM
I find that my longer lenses (40-150 and 75-300) benefit from having the IS1 when its breezy, even with the tripod locked up tight. They seem to be very prone to wind vibration when extended.

With the shorter FLs (12-50, 45mm) I don't bother

Wreckdiver
16th November 2012, 08:03 PM
This subject was discussed not so long ago but I can't find the thread at the moment. It is generally recommended that IS is turned OFF when using a tripod. The reason is that the IS system hunts for camera movement and when there isn't any, as when on a tripod, this hunting introduces slight vibrations which degrade images.

Recently I inadvertently left my E-5s IS on when fitted to a tripod and the IS could very clearly be heard working overtime. I haven't tried making comparison shots, something on the to do list.

Steve

PeterBirder
16th November 2012, 08:19 PM
1) From the E-M5 Instruction Manual, page 49

Reducing Camers Shake
(!) Cautions
When using a tripod, set [Image Stabilizer] to [Off].

2) From the Olympus Lens Shooting Guide for the Zuiko Digital ED/M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_lens_shooting_guides.asp?lens=1345&utm_campaign=sept_lens_12&utm_medium=email&utm_source=em_sept_lens_12&utm_content=direct)

Shooting Guide: Capturing Near and Far Subjects
Tips
For nighttime shooting make sure a tripod is used, even with image stabilization on, to prevent any aberrations in a photograph.

So which is it? On or Off? Has anyone done some experiments to find out if you can use IS on a tripod?

Never use IS on a tripod.
That has , quite correctly ALWAYS been the advice from Olympus (Japan).

The "Olympus Lens Shooting Guide" to which you refer was published by Olympus America who, from what I have seen elsewhere don't always get their facts exactly right or check their statements with HQ.

The IS system is a high gain control loop system optimised to specificaly correct camera shake induced by a human being holding the camera. It is the nature of such control loops that to function correctly (in this case very fast) that they have to operate on the verge of instability. If not presented with an error (shake in this case) or if receiving small interfering electrical signals they can have a tendency to try and correct an error which does not exist as it were.

Hope this helps.*chr

Stewart G
17th November 2012, 04:50 AM
I.S. would destroy long (tripod) exposures with my 620, have to imagine the same applies to the EM-5

Swordfish
17th November 2012, 07:24 AM
Definitely best to turn IS off when using a tripod in my experience.

The big problem I have is remembering to turn it back on again afterwards. My failure to do this drives me NUTS!

Martin

Zuiko
17th November 2012, 09:39 AM
The general recommendation is for IS to be off when using a tripod, although occasionally I've accidentally left it on with no noticable problems. Since I always use anti-shock mode with a tripod, I wish that the camera would automatically disable IS when set to this mode, self-timer mode or has a cable release attached.

Ross the fiddler
17th November 2012, 10:23 AM
The general recommendation is for IS to be off when using a tripod, although occasionally I've accidentally left it on with no noticable problems. Since I always use anti-shock mode with a tripod, I wish that the camera would automatically disable IS when set to this mode, self-timer mode or has a cable release attached.

That would actually be a useful addition to the menu, to enable or disable Auto IS Off when using Antishock or Shutter delay. *clap

David M
17th November 2012, 01:35 PM
There was no IS on the OM system I shot for 30+ years so I turn it on maybe twice a year.

Zuiko
17th November 2012, 02:11 PM
There was no IS on the OM system I shot for 30+ years so I turn it on maybe twice a year.

Yes, I grew up without it, too, but I find it useful now, believe me! :D

David M
17th November 2012, 02:27 PM
I can understand that John. But I use a tripod most of the time and my current walk around lens is the 85mm f/1.4 so usually have a fast enough shutter speed not to need IS.

Zuiko
17th November 2012, 03:08 PM
I can understand that John. But I use a tripod most of the time and my current walk around lens is the 85mm f/1.4 so usually have a fast enough shutter speed not to need IS.

In fact with that lens, referring to a current thread over on FTU, often the problem is having too fast a shutter speed! :D

David M
17th November 2012, 03:16 PM
To true, last winter when there was snow on the ground acting as a giant reflector I was having to stop down a stop or two just to get the shutter speed in range.