PDA

View Full Version : Keep the 11-22mm?

yomojo
16th November 2012, 08:53 AM
Hello - I'm new and it looks like a great forum for sharing and picking up ideas on things Olympus!

I'm about to purchase an OMD E-M5 - I have an E1 (two actually, the new one I'm selling on Ebay), as I want to take a 'lighter' camera with me to India. Where I'm struggling is - I have two lenses the 50mm and the 11-22mm. As I'm keeping one E1 and I like the 50mm - so I've decided to keep that lens.

The 11-22mm is an amazing lens but is it worth keeping and using with the OMD E-M5, or shall I just sell it and get an M lens? I'll be getting the free 45mm with it and maybe another lens.

Any advice would be appreciated. If you're using a normal Four Thirds lens on a Micro Four Thirds system it would be great to know what you think.

Thank you
raj

Zuiko
16th November 2012, 09:16 AM
Hi Raj, and welcome.

First, are you getting the 12-50mm kit lens with the E-M5? If you are, then I think I would trade the 11-22mm in for another lens. The 11-22mm is great, but unless you need a fast wideangle it merely covers about half of what the kit lens does, plus it's bigger, heavier and slow to focus. Trading it would enable you to get the smaller, lighter and wider angle 9-18mm.

yomojo
16th November 2012, 09:25 AM
Hi John,

Thanks!

I'm undecided about the 12-50mm kit lens. I was thinking getting the body only, the 15mm Body Cap lens and the 45mm for now. Then later think about adding either a wide angle or zoom.

raj

Zuiko
16th November 2012, 09:30 AM
We have an associated site, Four Thirds User, and there is a member, also called Raj, who lives in India. He is an exceptionally talented photographer who posts many excellent pictures of the country. He also uses an E-M5 and you might like to look at some of his work. Here's a link to one of his recent threads: http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11631

Zuiko
16th November 2012, 09:35 AM
Hi John,

Thanks!

I'm undecided about the 12-50mm kit lens. I was thinking getting the body only, the 15mm Body Cap lens and the 45mm for now. Then later think about adding either a wide angle or zoom.

raj

In that case keep the 11-22mm as it covers a useful range, is dust and moisture resistant and has excellent resolution. The 15mm body cap will give you a useful focal length in a very small and discrete package, but don't expect great quality from it by any means.

yomojo
16th November 2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the link John to Raj - brilliant photos with the E-M5 and it looks like he is using Four Thirds lens with it.

Yes I think you right keep the 11-22mm and just buy a MMF2/3.

Thank you!

Zuiko
16th November 2012, 09:56 AM
When are you going to India, Raj, and what area will you be visiting? It's a facinating country and I'm sure we'd all love to see some pictures. Have a great trip, anyway. *chr

yomojo
16th November 2012, 10:05 AM
Flying out on the 25th December - be in Mumbai for a few days and then we'll go down to Chennai, work our way down south via Pondicherry, then Kerala, then to Bangalore and Mumbai. Out there for a month.

Yes India is a fascinating country - I do have some photos from my previous visit but nothing great.

Thank you!

Zuiko
16th November 2012, 10:38 AM
Flying out on the 25th December - be in Mumbai for a few days and then we'll go down to Chennai, work our way down south via Pondicherry, then Kerala, then to Bangalore and Mumbai. Out there for a month.

Yes India is a fascinating country - I do have some photos from my previous visit but nothing great.

Thank you!

I've just Googled those places and it looks like a fantastic trip. Bangalore I associate with cricket, but it also looks an impressive and vibrant city and Kerala with all those beaches, backwaters, house boats and hill stations - wow!

Definitely looking forward to your pics now, and you're welcome to post some of your previous ones in the meantime - they don't have to be great and they don't have to be taken on Olympus cameras. :)

yomojo
16th November 2012, 02:52 PM
Yes Kerala should be lots of fun. I mean most of the trip will be - the first part will be a little sad - as we are going to India to scatter my fathers ashes - he passed away earlier this year.

You can see some of my photos on just look up the user: yomojo

Raj

yomojo
23rd November 2012, 07:15 AM
Oh just realised that I did not say where my photos were! They are on Flickr - user name yomojo :)

blu-by-u
24th November 2012, 03:00 AM
Have a good trip.

Just a short word of advice, stay away from any ice cubes and drink only bottled water or beer. Make sure you open them yourself and not served to you in a glass.

A friend from UK was there on a short business trip ended up in the hotel room throughout the 5 days.

*chr

yomojo
24th November 2012, 09:45 PM
Thank you! :)

I've been to India before and you're right you need to avoid certain things. Really anything that contains water that has not been cooked you should be careful of such as yoghurt etc. Fruit is okay wash it yourself or take the skin off.

Here are a couple of photos from my last trip to India