PDA

View Full Version : Slow progress at Video

Pjphoto59
15th November 2012, 07:25 AM
Last year, Remembrance Sunday, I had the thought that I have several video capable cameras, I ought to start to learn how to do this.....

Took a clip of the local school band and saved it in new folder called "Videos".

Here we are one year on and still only this one video in the folder. Maybe I will start to make some progress now...

I can't seem to be able to upload it. It is a 176MB .MOV file, what should I do to it to make it uploadable?

katran
15th November 2012, 08:06 AM
Best is to upload it on youtube.com, a specialized website for videos.
If you have already an gmail account/email, you can use it on youtube too.

There you can upload videos and here you can post only the embedded-link.
If you look on the previous posts from this section, you will see that everybody did the same (upload the videos on youtube).

I have douts you can upload movies on this forum. If I am wrong, moderators should corect me.

Pjphoto59
15th November 2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks Katran, you can see that I am starting at the very beginning....

Uploading my clip to YouTube is taking 64 mins, obviously the wrong format.

Looks like I should convert it from MOV to H264 - does that sound right??

Pjphoto59
15th November 2012, 11:23 AM
And here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_q5o-gG0NI

There is a big degradation of (visual) quality watching it on YouTube compared with the original......

katran
15th November 2012, 11:51 AM
I am happy that you made it.

There is no degradation watching it on youtube, if you choose to play the HD version.
By default, youtoube plays an low resolution 300x200 at poor quality in order to minimize the traffic.

To change the resolution, you have to click on the first icon on the bottom-right side of the video. It looks like a "star".
When you click on it, the quality menu will pop-up and you have to choose the highest resolution wich is 720p HD in your case.

Uploading videos takes time only when you have slow-upload-internet connection.
Even if your internet connection is fast (have a fast download), the upload is a different story, can be slow.
The conversion of the video starts only after the video was fully uploaded into youtube and normally does not take more than 5 min. for a short video like yours.

The video is interesting.
When you do movies ideal is to keep the camera on tripod.
Otherwise the hand is moving up-down and left-right.

Pjphoto59
15th November 2012, 12:11 PM
The quality did seem worse when I viewed it before uploading, but it seems OK now.

As you gathered, this was hand held, I have some tripods, but rarely carry them with me. All that may have to change....

My (BT) Broadband gives me about 3.5MB/s download and 0.35 MB/s upload at best. It sometimes runs very slowly for an hour or two. Maybe it was going slow this morning when I uploaded the video

Ian
15th November 2012, 03:10 PM
0.35MB/sec upload is a crawl. Is fibre (FTTC, like BT Infinity) available in your area? This would increase your upload by potentially 40x.

Which camera did you use to make the clip? How did you create the .MOV file you uploaded (software details would be a good start). Incidentally, H.264 is the compression type and .MOV indicates a Quicktime movie file type which packages the compressed video.

I found the quality not bad when played at 720HD mode. YouTube does compress video quite heavily, but it's not too bad.

Ian

PS, I edited the Youtube url so that the clip can be played in the forum post.

Pjphoto59
15th November 2012, 10:36 PM
Ian,

0.35MB/sec upload is a crawl. Is fibre (FTTC, like BT Infinity) available in your area? This would increase your upload by potentially 40x.

I had problems with the Broadband about a year ago, and the BT Technician who came to fix it said that we would have infiniti hear this year (2012) and it would be very fast as the connection would be close to my house. So far none of this has happened and I cannot get any sense from BT as to when it will. We have Virgin FO cable outside the door but I do not get a good impression of their service...

Which camera did you use to make the clip?

Panasonic G2, now sold, or more precisely at Ffordes waiting to be sold.

How did you create the .MOV file you uploaded (software details would be a good start). Incidentally, H.264 is the compression type and .MOV indicates a Quicktime movie file type which packages the compressed video.

I recall that I recorded in "AVCHD Lite" and could not find a way to play it directly and ended up converting it to .MOV (I cannot remember which software I used to do this). I am now back to having all Olympus cameras which record in AVI Motion JPEG and can be played in the Microsoft Windows Media player.

I thought that H.264 was a compression type, and compression seems to be sorely needed as that clip was 178MB

I found the quality not bad when played at 720HD mode. YouTube does compress video quite heavily, but it's not too bad.

Ian

PS, I edited the Youtube url so that the clip can be played in the forum post.

Thanks for that, I need to understand how to do that when I next upload something.

Many thanks for your comments

donmcmahan
22nd November 2012, 09:25 PM
Video is a whole new learning curve, shooting it is only the beginning. getting to grips with editing and outputting your edited sequence into the right format for its intended purpose is where the magic happens. I see that you shoot stock, there is a pretty good market in stock video.

Pjphoto59
23rd November 2012, 12:47 AM
Yes I have stock with a number of Agencies. The best of these by far is Alamy, who are introducing video but at present they are only accepting video clips from experienced practitioners with a fair body of work to offer.

I am still at the very early stages and I need to learn a lot as even the basics of which file types to use are still a mystery to me let alone the complexities of editing.

Alamy requirements are for clips of up to 60 secs, with no sound....

See: http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/alamy-video.asp

Seonnaidh
27th November 2012, 12:18 PM
Has anyone any thoughts on the Olympus microphone adapter SEMA-1 I think it is called?
I need to do a video and I'm getting a bit worried over the in built mic on the OMD
any and all help would be most gratefully received.

donmcmahan
8th January 2013, 10:23 PM
The SEMA-1 comes with a mic that is by all reports not up to much, use the port adapter part but leave the mic at home, get a better mic. I get good results with a Rode Videomic, trouble is the mic mounts on the hotshoe, which is blocked by the SEMA-1, you will need some sort of flash bracket. I found one on ebay that attaches to the tripod mount, positions the flash, or in this case the mic above and to the side of the camera. the bracket also gives you a grip so you can hold the camera with 2 hands.