PDA

View Full Version : Flash

Rooky007
12th November 2012, 07:45 PM
I have started to use the flash with the OMD and find it lacking...

When I had the 7D i had a 430 EXII flash on it with bounce pads etc and it made portraits easy..

What flash is good and can be used on the OMD i wonder if the Canon will work on it or will it damage the camera?

StephenL
12th November 2012, 08:02 PM
You would have to use it manually, I would think. FWIW the Canon flash cable works on Olympus cameras and flashes, so the pin configuration must be the same.

Rooky007
12th November 2012, 08:28 PM
You would have to use it manually, I would think. FWIW the Canon flash cable works on Olympus cameras.

So I can't out the flash directly onto the body?

So what flash good out their that can go onto the body?

CJJE
12th November 2012, 08:37 PM
Panasonic or Olympus flash guns will work, with Olympus also having the wireless control facility that connects with the baby flash you get with the E-M5. Metz also make compatible flashes, but I don't think they give the wireless control.

It then depends how powerful a flash you want, or how heavy a flashgun you want. The Olympus FL-36R (~240) or Olympus FL-600R (~299) would be the ones I would go for if I didn't already have a Panasonic FL-360 from when I only had Lumix cameras.

IainMacD
12th November 2012, 08:40 PM
The bigger Metz models work wirelessly with Oly/Pano bodies e.g. AF48, 50, 58

Rooky007
12th November 2012, 08:44 PM
Panasonic or Olympus flash guns will work, with Olympus also having the wireless control facility that connects with the baby flash you get with the E-M5. Metz also make compatible flashes, but I don't think they give the wireless control.

It then depends how powerful a flash you want, or how heavy a flashgun you want. The Olympus FL-36R (~240) or Olympus FL-600R (~299) would be the ones I would go for if I didn't already have a Panasonic FL-360 from when I only had Lumix cameras.

Is the FL 360 now discontinue ? Can't find it at many places like the FL 600R. Out of the 2 which u go for?

Rooky007
12th November 2012, 08:56 PM
The bigger Metz models work wirelessly with Oly/Pano bodies e.g. AF48, 50, 58

Ones I can find are Canon fit argh

Rooky007
12th November 2012, 09:02 PM
Right find one and wonder if this any good do you all know and the brand itself or should I go for Oly Brand Ive always been a branded person..

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/5588/Metz-Mecablitz-50-AF-1-Digital-Flash---Olympus---Panasonic-Fit---SPECIAL-.html

CJJE
12th November 2012, 09:06 PM
Is the FL 360 now discontinue ? Can't find it at many places like the FL 600R. Out of the 2 which u go for?

SRS list the Olympus FL-36R and FL-600R. The Olympus FL-36 was replaced by the FL-36R (R=wireless control). The Panasonic FL360 is being replaced by a Panasonic FL600 (with the continuous LED light, but I think it is still available. But I'd keep with the Olympus flashguns rather than the Panasonic-badged versions.

I stand corrected on the Metz flashguns having wireless control.

CJJE
12th November 2012, 09:15 PM
Gary Ayton's wiki gives a great description of the various flash units for the E-M5 here http://www.ayton.id.au/wiki/doku.php?id=photo:microfourthirdsflash

Rooky007
12th November 2012, 09:16 PM
I've just been having a go with the flash that came with the camera it quite good for the size of it. I which there were some kind of bounce for it or stofon unless there is?

As like to try this first. What I liked about the big flash is tilting the flash back more to bounce the flash so,wondering if there anything for the flash that came with the camera to help soften the flash up w bit??

What other advantage do these big flash have apart from wireless

brian1208
12th November 2012, 10:16 PM
the FL600R can do the full tilt and swivel back over the shoulder flash thing and works very nicely when controlled by the mini kit flash that comes with the camera.
Works in ttl, manual and High speed sync modes as well.
Very similar to my 430ex mk2 in many ways.
Not too large for the body either and has a faster recycle rate than the FL36

Ghostrider
13th November 2012, 09:52 AM
Right find one and wonder if this any good do you all know and the brand itself or should I go for Oly Brand Ive always been a branded person..

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/5588/Metz-Mecablitz-50-AF-1-Digital-Flash---Olympus---Panasonic-Fit---SPECIAL-.html

I've just purchased one of these after reading various reviews. Received it yesterday and just had a quick play last night. Considering it's less than half the price of the Olympus FL600 (and I wouldn't need the video LED function) I looks a cracking flash unit and well suited to my needs.

brian1208
13th November 2012, 10:26 AM
at that price its a no-brainer

DJMC
13th November 2012, 12:22 PM
So how does the Metz 50 AF-1 compare to my FL-36R for features?

What does either unit do which the other doesn't?

:confused:

Ian
13th November 2012, 12:46 PM

The FL-360 is I think a Panasonic version of the Olympus FL-36. This isn't as powerful as your old Canon 430. It only uses two AA batteries and recycling time is fairly slow. But it is compact and has a fully swivelling head. Don't get the Panasonic version as it is not compatible with the Olympus wireless RC system. With this you would use your bundled mini-flash on the camera to remotely control the FL-36R (or any other Olympus FL flash with an 'R' designation, or compatible third party models from companies like Metz). In fact you have four channels of control so you can independently set the power of up to four different flash units.

If you want a more compact (but even less powerful) model there is the FL-300R and then there is the more powerful FL-600R and the top of the range FL-50R. The 50R can be hooked up to an external high voltage battery set for faster recycling and greater shot capacity.

Ian

Rooky007
13th November 2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone I am going to give a couple of flash a try this weekend and take it from there :)

Jetset95
14th November 2012, 05:26 PM
Metz 50 AF-1 much more powerful than the Oly / Panny flashes with all the features and much cheaper. Try it out its a great gun.

brian1208
14th November 2012, 07:11 PM
Hi!
I just want to inform you all that if anyone is planning to buy Metz 50 AF-1 to use it with wireless rc protocol with OM-D, it doesn't work with latest firmware 1.2 on Metz unit.
We have to wait until Metz will update it firmware to work with OM-D

from DPreview

Jetset95
14th November 2012, 07:40 PM
from DPreview

Not sure what the problem is but my Metz 1.2 update works fine with my OM-D wireless.

Rooky007
14th November 2012, 07:49 PM
Does the flash not work on the hotshoe?

Jetset95
14th November 2012, 07:52 PM
You have to buy the Oly version but yes, of course. Mine does everything just fine.

brian1208
14th November 2012, 08:51 PM
I have no experience of the metz, I spotted the thread and thought I would post it in case it was important. I stuck with the Oly FL600R + an old 36 (non R) as back-up

Rooky007
14th November 2012, 09:25 PM
I have no experience of the metz, I spotted the thread and thought I would post it in case it was important. I stuck with the Oly FL600R + an old 36 (non R) as back-up

What is the flash like is it big on the camera? Are you able post a picture so it mounted on the camera please?

Cheers

brian1208
14th November 2012, 10:25 PM
have a look in this thread, part way down and you will see some pics of the pair together http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1103706-fl-600r-owner-review-comments.html

Ian
14th November 2012, 11:19 PM
You have to buy the Oly version but yes, of course. Mine does everything just fine.

The way I read it, it was not working when wirelessly controlled remotely. Can you try that to see if it works?

Ian

Jetset95
15th November 2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Ian, I thought I answered that earlier in the post but yes - my Metz 50 AF-1 works perfectly in the hot shoe, or wireless control using the OM-D with the kit flash attached and switched on via the menu at the back. I upgraded the firmware on the Metz when I got the OM-D to allow this feature (I didn't try it before with V1.1) but it's worked fine every time I've tried it with the OM-D.