PDA

View Full Version : OMD Dial!

GRAHAMJ
12th November 2012, 08:58 AM
Good morning people.

Had a problem over the weekend with the OMD. Has anyone had the dial to the right of the EVF housing come off. Mine has, really it is a sort of cosmetic cover that is clipped on somehow. The dial still turns and functions but surely this should not have happened to a 900 + camera. I will be on the phone to Olympus in about 15 minutes!

Graham

Zuiko
12th November 2012, 09:58 AM
Good morning people.

Had a problem over the weekend with the OMD. Has anyone had the dial to the right of the EVF housing come off. Mine has, really it is a sort of cosmetic cover that is clipped on somehow. The dial still turns and functions but surely this should not have happened to a 900 + camera. I will be on the phone to Olympus in about 15 minutes!

Graham

I think this is the first reported incident on this forum, but it is a probllem that is well documented elsewhere on the Internet.

Let's not pull any punches, on any camera it would be unacceptable but on a 900 camera it's a disgrace! :mad: It's only because the E-M5 is so excellent in other ways that I love it, but in general the build quality seems somewhat short of the E3. Mind you, the E-3 is a more substantial camera - there's a reason beyond just the mirror why it is so much bigger and heavier!

Seonnaidh
12th November 2012, 10:05 AM
Damn! That's not good at all. As John has mentioned it is not acceptable on any camera regardless of price. I am sure I am not alone in waiting to hear the response you get from Olympus.
Please keep us informed.

pault
12th November 2012, 10:10 AM
Hi Grahamj
This has been reported in other forums, from what I can remember the dial seems to be stuck on with some sort of adhesive. Some people have repaired the the camera themselves, although choice of adhesive used is a concern, whether it should be too permanent, in case of future factory repairs.
Personally, this should not happen, as you said on a 900 camera.
Would be interested in what Olympus have to say about it.
pault

David Morison
12th November 2012, 01:18 PM
Not quite sure what you mean, is it the rear control dial? Mine is solid serrated metal and doesn't look like it is a cosmetic cover - what is yours made of? Bad news whatever the construction.

David

GRAHAMJ
12th November 2012, 02:55 PM
Well I called the Olympus repair center, and as expected they said to send the OMD back to them. Unfortunately due to commitments between now and the New Year on my part and the fact that it would be a three week turn around that's the earliest it will go back, but they have the record of my call and email with the serial No of the OMD.

David it is actually a cover and there is what looks like a clip that holds it on.....maybe! Underneath is a smooth round knob. It can be turned with the thumb so the OMD does still function OK.

I have used double sided tape (a la Blue Peter) to keep it on........that was after getting assurance that it would not void the warranty!

Graham