PDA

View Full Version : Well I've gone and done it ......

Simon Bee
10th November 2012, 06:07 PM
....for months I have thought about it, and finally having tried out the OM-D at Carmarthen Camera Centre I've 'bit the bullet'.

I picked up a silver OM-D with the HLD6 grip, a 12mm F2 & 75mm F1.8. So what now for my E5 ?

The E5 is a great camera but combined with the 14-35 F2 it is a rather large beast that is starting to take its toll on my wrist so the OM-D has become a tempting proposition and one that in the end I have succumbed to.

I was aware of the potential focussing issues with 4/3 lenses and to be truthful the 14-35 did struggle a bit, BUT to my surprise the 90-250 F2.8 is very usable with the OM-D *yes

So now a dilemma ..... I have decided to let the 14-35 go and will soon advertise it on the forum, I no longer have a 'need' for it. But what about the E5 ? As I am happy with the focussing of the 90-250 on the OM-D I guess I don't really need it either, but maybe it would be wise to hold onto it for now so that I can really try out the 90-250/OM-D combo.

I cannot yet show any images with the 90-250 as I did not purchase the MMF3, I feel it's quite a lot of cash for what it is and decided to look for a S/H MMF1 or 2. To my delight, last night I found an MMF3 at Ffordes for 79 so I'm glad I waited and once I get a chance I'll post some images of and from that combo.

NOW THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO COME ONTO ........

The OM-D is not as small as I thought, and I have large hands. I think that most people who are only used to "1990's + " slr's be it film or digital expect them to be "bricks" and that - that was/is the "norm". Well if you have never used a classic manual focus slr from the 1970's - late '90's then I guess the OM-D would be small, tiny infact. However if you take a look at the attached images of my "classic" film slr's alongside the OM-D you can see just how oversized "modern" 35mm film / digital slr's have become.

Given my love of classic looking and sized cameras I think the OM-D and I are going to get on rather nicely ;)

Simon Bee
10th November 2012, 06:09 PM
....and below is the OM-D with my OM3 Ti from several angles

Simon Bee
10th November 2012, 06:10 PM
...... and now with the Nikon FM3a .... another classic.

Simon Bee
10th November 2012, 06:12 PM
...... now with the Leica R7

Simon Bee
10th November 2012, 06:15 PM
.... and finally,

Even the old manual focus primes were not that large ( on the whole ) , here is my Nikkor 85mm F1.8 alongside my new Olympus 75mm F1.8

Thank's for looking and any comments,

Kind regards

Simon

Zuiko
10th November 2012, 06:47 PM
Hi Simon, and congratulations on your purchase! I think you would do weel to keep the E-5 until you've had the opportunity to fully test the E-M5 in a variety of conditions. Your pictures show that the E-M5 is about average size compared to your vintage SLRs, but gripless it is still very small compared to today's DSLRs.

Simon Bee
10th November 2012, 07:56 PM
Hi Simon, and congratulations on your purchase! I think you would do weel to keep the E-5 until you've had the opportunity to fully test the E-M5 in a variety of conditions. Your pictures show that the E-M5 is about average size compared to your vintage SLRs, but gripless it is still very small compared to today's DSLRs.

Hi John,

Yes the E-M5 is indeed very small compared to many of todays dslr's and my images just go to show how relatively small many 'classic' film slr are also. None of the cameras shown 'dwarf' the E-M5, the Leica R7 is the largest but even that is not huge compared to a modern dslr, it is however built like a tank and weighs accordingly.

To be fair motordrives from the classic era would however make each camera a fair bit taller than the E-M5 but in their basic form classic cameras are almost as compact.

During the 90's there seemed to be a drive ( no pun intended ) towards integral motor-driven "concrete blocks" . As fantastic a camera the Nikon F5 was/is just look at the bloody size of it, bolt on a fast zoom such as the 28/70 F2.8 AFS and the whole thing is bigger/heavier than several medium format systems :eek:

The E-M5 is a breath of fresh air, a return to the days of well built, lightweight but strong, compact design cameras capable of punching above their weight just like the ones in my images.

Yes the E-M5 and I are going to become good friends and it shall share my Billingham with my other 'good friend' the OM-3 Ti .

With regard to the E5, yes for now it will most likely be wise to hold on to it. I enjoy photographing birds and some sports hence the beast that is the 90-250. If after extensive testing the E-M5 is not as good at focussing it as it has so far appeared to be at least I will have a suitable body for the lens. I guess it will not hurt being 'permanently mated' with the 90-250 for those times I need or want the reach.

Simon

Wally
10th November 2012, 08:08 PM
I'm thinking that perhaps you should hold onto the e-5. Get a 4/3 to a 4/3 adapter and get the best of both worlds.

Ulfric M Douglas
10th November 2012, 08:35 PM
...... now with the Leica R7
I'd like you to get an adapter for the Leica R lenses and see what they produce from the e-M5 sensor.
The EVF should be excellent for manual focussing on those.
What lenses do you have?

Adapters (for example) here ;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-R-lens-E-PL1-P2-G2-G10-GF1-micro-4-3-adapter-/400062541767?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_c aps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item5d2595efc7

Simon Bee
10th November 2012, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking that perhaps you should hold onto the e-5. Get a 4/3 to a 4/3 adapter and get the best of both worlds.

Hi Wally,

One is on the way, I should have it on Tuesday. Was very lucky to find a S/H MMF3 ( yep the latest one ) on Ffordes site last night for 79, just had to get it at that price.

Regards Simon

Simon Bee
10th November 2012, 09:41 PM
I'd like you to get an adapter for the Leica R lenses and see what they produce from the e-M5 sensor.
The EVF should be excellent for manual focussing on those.
What lenses do you have?

Adapters (for example) here ;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-R-lens-E-PL1-P2-G2-G10-GF1-micro-4-3-adapter-/400062541767?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_c aps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item5d2595efc7

Hi,

I already have the genuine Panasonic M4/3 to Leica R adaptor, I will take some images of the various lenses on the E-M5 tomorrow so that you can see how they 'balance' on the body.

With regard to actual images I am hoping to take some 'decent' ones with Leica glass soon and will post some then. How soon that will be I do not yet know, I own and run a hardware store which takes up an awful lot of my time, my wonderfully understanding wife & kids take up most of the rest, I try to fit my hobby into what time is left. But once I have got used to the E-M5 I will get some images from it with my Leica lenses onto the forum.

Leica 'R' lenses I have are as follows:-

19mm f2.8 ROM
28mm f2.8 ROM ( last version )
50mm f2 ROM
90mm f2.8 3rd cam ( last version )
180mm f3.4 APO ROM
280 F4 APO 3rd cam ( legendary optic, arguably Leica's finest ever lens )
x2 APO convertor
Macro extension tube

See attached image

Kind regards Simon

Ulfric M Douglas
11th November 2012, 07:21 AM
That 280 sounds good!

Phill D
11th November 2012, 07:52 AM
Nice to see those size comparisons Simon. Definitely a thread to watch for future images.

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 12:01 PM
Nice to see those size comparisons Simon. Definitely a thread to watch for future images.

Thanks Phill,

Many of us have either become used to 'or' only have known 35mm based bodies that are in essence far larger than they need to be, that we/they think the OM-D is tiny when in reality in is 'not a lot' smaller than proper classic 35mm cameras.

I say "proper" because the whole rationale behind the 35mm film based camera system was to provide a highly portable camera that was both light and compact whilst still being capable of producing high quality results. So how the hell did they end up being the size of a house brick and weighing just as much :confused: IMO all of my classic cameras shown are just as tough and equally "professional" as for example a Nikon F5.

I do intend to keep this thread going, starting with images of my Leica R lenses attached to the E-M5 so anyone interested in what such combinations look like will have a chance to see. Then gradually, over time I aim to add images captured with the R lenses and also if I obtain an adapter for my Nikon F lenses those too.

Kind regards Simon

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 02:03 PM
Ok,

I have quickly taken some snapshots of the OM-D with my Leica R lenses attached so that interested persons can see how they "balance".

Was rushing to get them taken and white balance is rather "iffy" but I have not got time to do them again. Anyway they are purely for 'reference' so don't be too hard on me :o

First set: 19mm with hood

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 02:04 PM
Now the 19mm without hood:-

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 02:06 PM
Now for the 28mm :-

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 02:07 PM
The 50mm F2 :-

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 02:09 PM
The 90mm F2.8:-

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 02:10 PM
Now the 180mm F3.4 APO .. a legendary optic :-

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 02:12 PM
Now what is arguably the finest lens ever made by Leica, the 280 F4 APO Telyt :-

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 02:15 PM
and finally how about this combo.....

it's the 280F4 APO with x2 APO convertor and macro adapter. This combination turns the 280mm into a full macro lens, and in 4/3rd terms that equates to a " 1120mm Macro " :eek:

Stewart G
11th November 2012, 02:15 PM
Thank you for posting the comparison photos, Simon. The diminutive size of the OMD has been quite a barrier for me. And the rather creepy examples at Oly's home page (model, fashion designer and creative director, all looking too serious) had me looking toward the E-5 as my next upgrade). But you've reminded me that I never thought my Nikon FE was anything but perfectly sized.

Ulfric M Douglas
11th November 2012, 02:30 PM
...white balance is rather "iffy" but I have not got time to do them again. Anyway they are purely for 'reference' so don't be too hard on me :o
Ha! This is the e-group forum, I think you've got us mixed up with some other place where folk know what whitebalance is and berate you for totally faffing it up.
*chr
Are you about to take a macro photo of a single neutron with that 280?

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 03:38 PM
Thank you for posting the comparison photos, Simon. The diminutive size of the OMD has been quite a barrier for me. And the rather creepy examples at Oly's home page (model, fashion designer and creative director, all looking too serious) had me looking toward the E-5 as my next upgrade). But you've reminded me that I never thought my Nikon FE was anything but perfectly sized.

Hi Stewart,

The OM-D is actually not as small as I was expecting and the Leica lenses "balance" fine with the proportions of the body. Most classic manual focus 35mm film bodies were/are perfectly sized to me, the latter "AF Bricks" became silly in size and I think my comparison images just help reinforce that fact.

Regards Simon

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 03:46 PM
Ha! This is the e-group forum, I think you've got us mixed up with some other place where folk know what whitebalance is and berate you for totally faffing it up.
*chr
Are you about to take a macro photo of a single neutron with that 280?

Hi Ulfric,

Yes we are a pretty gentle bunch aren't we :) Still I should have paid more attention to the settings instead of being too eager to take advantage of a "half hour window" to get them taken in.

***280 macro shots**** when set up as this combo you can fill the screen from quite a distance. I will post some such images when I get chance to take a "more considered approach !"

Regards Simon

brian1208
11th November 2012, 04:12 PM
please stop posting - I'm getting lens envy! :D

Enjoy the combination of great body and even better lenses, I look forward to seeing what you produce

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 04:33 PM
please stop posting - I'm getting lens envy! :D

Enjoy the combination of great body and even better lenses, I look forward to seeing what you produce

Sorry Brian !

I have attached an image I took earlier today in my garden. It is with the OM-D & Leica R 90mm Elmarit at f5.6. Just a quick snap, nothing special, hand held and focussed through the viewfinder without magnification. So far it would appear that I can quickly focus legacy lenses with the EVF which is very encouraging.

Regards Simon

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 04:55 PM
Here's some more,

Again nothing special just quick snapshots. The first is again with the 90mm Elmarit, this time wide open at f2.8.

The second was taken last night in my "snug", room lighting dimmed low, ISO 6400, 180mm f3.4 APO wide open and hand held at approx 9 feet from subject. Not ultra sharp but considering how slow the shutter speed was i.e. 1/8th and an effective focal length of 360mm I am more than satisfied.

Finally, in my snug again. This time with the Olympus 75mm F1.8 at f2 , shutter speed 1/20th and ISO 6400. I rarely shoot above ISO 800 but I have to say this camera is so good at much higher settings it is very useful to have.

Regards Simon

Simon Bee
11th November 2012, 05:31 PM
and finally for tonight,

here is another quick hand held snapshot taken with the Leica 180mm F3.4 APO wide open.

Taken earlier today in my conservatory.

Second image is a crop of the first.

Regards Simon

Graham_of_Rainham
16th November 2012, 11:56 PM
How about a really nice book to go with your new camera :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150948256268?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Simon Bee
17th November 2012, 08:05 AM
How about a really nice book to go with your new camera :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150948256268?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Graham,

With 100% going to Great Ormond Street how could I refuse, bid placed my friend ;)

Simon Bee
18th November 2012, 05:17 PM
Well today I have "dug out" my early ( ish ) Nikkor's, I have not got a M4/3 to Nikkor F adapter and was contemplating buying one when I remembered that I have a 4/3 - F adapter already and when coupled to my newly acquired MMF3 the problem was solved.

So off to the conservatory for a few snap-shots of what the OM-D & Nikkor combo's look like. I have no doubt that my Leica R lenses will perform better but I have to say that these old Nikkor's "look" the part ;)

What do you think ?

20mm F3.5 attached

Simon Bee
18th November 2012, 05:18 PM
and now the 28mm F3.5

Simon Bee
18th November 2012, 05:19 PM
and now the 50mm F2

Simon Bee
18th November 2012, 05:20 PM
the 85mm F1.8

Simon Bee
18th November 2012, 05:21 PM
the 105mm F2.5

Simon Bee
18th November 2012, 05:22 PM
and finally the 200mm F4

Simon Bee
18th November 2012, 07:18 PM
and "finally" ( for the second time ),

Now that I have the MMF3 I can try out the 90-250 on the OM-D. Have not had chance to really put it through its paces yet as I had to take the family out after taking the pictures of the OM-D with the Nikkor's.

I have to say that in the short time I had this afternoon to try this combo I was quite pleased with the speed of the focussing with single AF. Naturally it's not almost instant as is normally the case with native M4/3 lenses but it was quick enough for me. It will need more thorough testing before I will let go of the E5 but so far it would appear that this is a "usable" combination.

However as you can see this is one-big-lens on the OM-D :eek:

I will post some images taken with this combo as soon as I can.

Regards Simon

Jetset95
19th November 2012, 08:07 AM
What's that thing hanging off the end of your lens...

Simon Bee
19th November 2012, 09:56 AM
What's that thing hanging off the end of your lens...

A counter balance :eek:

Cheers Simon

Jetset95
19th November 2012, 06:04 PM
Touche (I was going to end it there but apparently that wasn't enough of a reply :rolleyes: )

Simon Bee
19th November 2012, 08:20 PM
Touche (I was going to end it there but apparently that wasn't enough of a reply :rolleyes: )

Sorry maybe it's just me but I don't get the sarcasm, I was just making a light hearted reply to your quote while at the same time laughing at myself ;)

Regards Simon

Jetset95
20th November 2012, 12:16 PM
No it's me that should be sorry Simon - I liked your reply (hence the Touche - minus the accent on e) but it wouldn't let me just post that word, I was told there weren't enough letters hence the rest of the quote in brackets - about me and the forum software not you. My apologies.

James

Simon Bee
20th November 2012, 06:08 PM
No it's me that should be sorry Simon - I liked your reply (hence the Touche - minus the accent on e) but it wouldn't let me just post that word, I was told there weren't enough letters hence the rest of the quote in brackets - about me and the forum software not you. My apologies.

James

Ah I understand now, I'm afraid my brain is sometimes a little slow on the uptake :o

Anyway James, no offence taken

BTW ... if I screw a 3/8" eyebolt into the tripod thread of the battery pack and hang a rock laden beanbag off it, it may well counterbalance :eek: !!! .... taking the P*** out of myself again :D

Kind regards Simon

Jetset95
21st November 2012, 09:22 AM
I'll have to try that - even the Panny 100-300mm made the little OM-D look a bit like a wart on the end of it's nose, not so bad now I have the battery grip now though, really loving this new system.