PDA

View Full Version : M's Kitten

Napper
11th November 2007, 02:07 AM
A shot of my friends kitten taken as it played under a work surface. hope you like it!

Pete_VN52
11th November 2007, 08:35 AM
Well exposed and the focus is bang on the eyes. Nice shot.

Ian
11th November 2007, 09:09 AM
Delightful - would be better shown full size via the gallery :rolleyes:

The DOF is nicely limited - the bokeh very good indeed; which lens was this shot with?

Ian

Steve Roughley
11th November 2007, 09:57 PM
Nice Capture I like the bokeh. Was it the lens or done in photoshop.

Just out of curiosity are the cats eyes ok, they look very watery as though it might have a discharge.

Good Shooting
Steve

Napper
11th November 2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I personally felt that the shots is a little too soft but was generally pleased with it. I've heard that capturing cats and dogs eyes can often be problematical due to "green eye" the same as red eye in humans. I'm finding myself being increasingly asked to do some shots of peoples pets etc. maybe there's a business opportunity opening up.

Back to your questions

Pete thanks for comments I felt that the focal point in the shot should be the eyes and I think that this paid off.

Steve as far as I know the kittens eyes are fine. The bokeh is directly from the lens. The only PP done was to brighten the shot a bit and then resized for web.

Ian thanks for your comments , this was shot using E 510 with Zuiko 14-54
f2.8-3.5 Shot at f 3.4, 1/80, ISO 200, fill in flash, F/L 44mm

Ian
11th November 2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I personally felt that the shots is a little too soft but was generally pleased with it. I've heard that capturing cats and dogs eyes can often be problematical due to "green eye" the same as red eye in humans. I'm finding myself being increasingly asked to do some shots of peoples pets etc. maybe there's a business opportunity opening up.

Back to your questions

Pete thanks for comments I felt that the focal point in the shot should be the eyes and I think that this paid off.

Steve as far as I know the kittens eyes are fine. The bokeh is directly from the lens. The only PP done was to brighten the shot a bit and then resized for web.

Ian thanks for your comments , this was shot using E 510 with Zuiko 14-54
f2.8-3.5 Shot at f 3.4, 1/80, ISO 200, fill in flash, F/L 44mm

Do you sharpen after resizing for the Web? It's advisable, but the sharpening needs to be quite sparing.

Ian

Napper
11th November 2007, 11:51 PM
Hi Ian no I've never thought of sharpening after resizing. I do sharpen images if they need it but this is before a resize, wouldn't sharpening again lose picture quality or is this not really a problem as the web won't show the loss of quality?

Ian
12th November 2007, 07:55 AM
Hi Ian no I've never thought of sharpening after resizing. I do sharpen images if they need it but this is before a resize, wouldn't sharpening again lose picture quality or is this not really a problem as the web won't show the loss of quality?

Any resizing of a digital image (larger or smaller) can soften it. Some careful post-resize sharpening can do wonders. Always assess the effects of sharpening by looking for well defined edge detal and avoid any halo effects of over-contrasty results, both signs of over-sharpening.

Ian

Napper
12th November 2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for info and I have tried sharpening the image a bit what do you think?

Ian
12th November 2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for info and I have tried sharpening the image a bit what do you think?

I'd say somewhere inbetween the two.

In Photoshop I tend to use 20% with a Radius of about one pixel, sometimes less - say 0.7 pixels.

Ian

Zuiko
12th November 2007, 04:07 PM
Any resizing of a digital image (larger or smaller) can soften it. Some careful post-resize sharpening can do wonders. Always assess the effects of sharpening by looking for well defined edge detal and avoid any halo effects of over-contrasty results, both signs of over-sharpening.

Ian

Hi Ian,

So would it be best to resize from an unsharpened original file and then do all the sharpening after resizing? :confused:

Thanks,

John:)

Ian
12th November 2007, 04:23 PM
Hi Ian,

So would it be best to resize from an unsharpened original file and then do all the sharpening after resizing? :confused:

Thanks,

John:)

I'd say it depends on your personal approach. I tend to sharpen sparingly and repeat the process if I feel more is needed. To this end, I usually only sharpen after resizing as required.

If the original image is quite soft, sharpening before and after resizing is a possibility.

Ian

Magnumaniac
12th November 2007, 06:26 PM
Good info - thanks Ian. Never thought about sharpening after re-sizing before - always figured it wouldn't make a noticeable difference. Just shows how totally wrong I can be :)

Nice shot of the kitten, Napper. Can't get our cat to stay still long enough to get a photo of it unless it's asleep :D

Ian.

j.baker
12th November 2007, 10:56 PM
Great image. The cats that live with us (cat owners never own the cats, but it is the cats who own us) are very photogenic. Our tom will come and pose when I get the camera out.

I have attached a cropped and resized picture of a big kitty.