PDA

View Full Version : Peeved with Oly this Morning.

Seonnaidh
7th November 2012, 10:06 AM
Sorry one and all but I am starting the day with a moan.
Got up reasonably early to walk up the hill behind the house and take a sunrise over the Cuillin.
There was a forecast of a short break in the weather which proved to be correct.
Set up the tripod attached the OMD and started to use 'Livebulb' so that I could see the image appearing on the screen and stop it when I judged it to be correct.
It all went horribly wrong, I couldn't get to grips with it at all.
No problem just whip the trusty 'Manual' out of the bag and we'll be............
Oh no! The trusty manual and the laptop to access it are back at the house.
Opportunity lost.
Olympus' marketing strategy/customer friendliness were getting the full force of my wrath. Not improved by getting a real highland soaking walking the half a mile or so back to the house.
Instead of charging stupid bl**dy prices for lens hoods, why don't they put an extra 5 on the cost of a body and provide a manual that can be carried in
a camera bag without the need to use a laptop.

When the independent manual/book becomes available from Amazon on Dec 29th I'm having one. In fact I'm going to order it now. There. You've missed
a wee trick there Oly.

I was so enraged this morning that if I met the man who made the decision
not to include a 'proper' manual I would have w**''d in his Sushi and laughed while I did it.
End of tirade, going for a sulk. Teddy thrown in the corner and milk kicked over.

Ulfric M Douglas
7th November 2012, 10:41 AM
I hope you mean wizzed rather than the other word beginning with W and ending in D

Or perhaps you do ... :eek:

Seonnaidh
7th November 2012, 10:47 AM
Oooohh no! I din't see that connotation.
Errr I mean pi**ed in his sushi.

Olybirder
7th November 2012, 10:58 AM
Either way, I think I will give the fish course a miss, if you don't mind. :eek:

I agree with your sentiments entirely. I hate the modern trend of not including a printed manual with most things which you buy these days. The first time we bought the QuarkXPress application for work it cost well over 1000 but we did receive a copy of the programme on disc and two fat boxes full of printed manuals and information. When we bought our latest update it still cost over 1000 but we had to download the application and use the online help guide. I feel short changed.

Ron

RogerMac
7th November 2012, 11:03 AM
I am told that you can put PDFs onto a Kindle, have not tried it yet myself but it would seem a good idea to put the manual onto one for when on the move

Roger

Seonnaidh
7th November 2012, 11:15 AM
That might be an alternative. Seemingly you can only use 'Live bulb' with JPEG's.
The images I took in RAW are deemed unrecognizeable by Aperture but the JPEG's are fine.

OM USer
7th November 2012, 11:17 AM
Jon,
You could have purchased the olympus E-M5 manual at http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce/Manuals-man-1.htm. Its a rip-off at 13 (I'm led to believe they are free if ordered through the US site) but I still got one for the convenience. Its paperback, sized is 7&2/10" x 5" x 3/10", and just a printed copy of the online instruction manual.

Ian
7th November 2012, 11:48 AM
Is there not a printed manual in the box? I thought there was?

Pretty sure I have one?

Ian

Bikie John
7th November 2012, 11:55 AM
There is a printed manual, but it is VERY rudimentary. Basically it tells you how to put the strap on and where to put the battery and memory card, if I recall correctly. I printed the PDF manual 2-up and double sided (so 4 pages on each sheet of A4) and it is reasonably manageable, but it is definitely for reference, not for learning from.

I too will skip the sushi just now, thanks.

Ciao ... John

Seonnaidh
7th November 2012, 12:07 PM
Well I've ordered the David Busch one from Amazon at 18.00 or thereabouts. Won't get it until early new year though. Never mind.

Westy
7th November 2012, 12:13 PM
Its not like Oly are actually saving any money as the basic guide that they do supply in the box is just as thick as a manual would be, its just that its in god knows how many different languages.

Ian
7th November 2012, 12:18 PM
Pentax, for example, include manuals in multiple languages that must have caused several trees to be felled :)

Ian

RogerMac
7th November 2012, 12:25 PM
The best Oly manuals (for me) that I have read are hyperlinked PDFs where you can look u p a subject in the index and with one click go to the correct page. My E500 and E5 manuals do this but all the others make you do it the hard way. I think that we ought to make it clear to Oly that this ought to be a standard feature of all future manuals.

By the way if you take the PDF manual to a ProntoPrint (or similar) they should be able to produce an A5 double sided bound copy - but check the price before committing oneself.

Roger

maccabeej
7th November 2012, 12:27 PM
I am told that you can put PDFs onto a Kindle, have not tried it yet myself but it would seem a good idea to put the manual onto one for when on the move

Roger

I have got the manual on both my Kindle and iPhone. I don't recommend using the former it is nearly impossible to read and not very user friendly. I would use a smart phone if you have one.
Jim

Seonnaidh
7th November 2012, 12:30 PM
Now that raises a very moot point. Forestry in Scotland I'm told by several well informed people is on it's knees financially because nearly all the conifers grown here are intended for the printing industry, specifically low grade newspaper print.
Which, as we all know is in dire straits because of the electronic versions available.
I have just been quoted 180.00 for 10 ton of logs in 8ft long cords. The delivery from 20 miles away another 180.00. Seemingly I've been quoted top price for the logs and I should haggle a bit.
My point is, intense conifer plantations are not that great for wildlife. Under the new forestry laws when forestry is harvested it must be replaced with mixed conifer and deciduous broadleaf trees, so as to recreate in time, the great forest of Caledon.
Thus no one really want to invest in forestry and huge areas of forestry on Skye are up for sale with very little, if any interest in buying it.
It's a very difficult environmental conundrum that we as mankind have created. I am sure there is no quick easy answer.

Ulfric M Douglas
7th November 2012, 01:41 PM
Let's not tar mankind with the same brush wielded by a tiny minority of short-term-thinking brain-dead profitmongers called the Forestry Commision. They need to stop planting ANYTHING right now and pour every resource into stopping the new Ash fungus : but they wont, oh no.

Back on-topic : does it really only do the 'Live Bulb' for jpegs? Interesting.

Stewart G
7th November 2012, 02:14 PM
I can add a vote here for loading the pdf manual onto one's phone. It's not as fast as paper, but at least it's all there.

Swordfish
7th November 2012, 02:48 PM
Not sure why, but I have a full fat manual with my OM-D - it's the same style and content as similar manuals I have for E5, Epl2 etc.

For convenience I also have pdf versions downloaded onto my Kindle, which I find perfect when travelling overseas as I always take my Kindle anyway.

Martin

JohnI
7th November 2012, 03:45 PM
Let's not tar mankind with the same brush wielded by a tiny minority of short-term-thinking brain-dead profitmongers called the Forestry Commision. They need to stop planting ANYTHING right now and pour every resource into stopping the new Ash fungus : but they wont, oh no.

Back on-topic : does it really only do the 'Live Bulb' for jpegs? Interesting.

Speaking of dim bulbs, making big money fast in your spare time growing "pulp" timber has been around for a while. Its simple, the pencil pushers say . . . . take some "waste" land (fascinating idea, "waste" land - is there any land to waste?), stick a monocrop of evergreen trees which have been genetically modified (yes, GMO timber) to be harvestable in 20 years rather than the usual 40-60 into said ground, pay the landowner a pittance and JUMP BACK while the profits roll in!

On top of that, the spruce/fir clones used for this are rather impressive net carbon emitters, rather than serving as carbon sinks. Just lovely.

You have now completed your "Natural" history lesson for the morning.

John

Chevvyf1
7th November 2012, 04:37 PM
Jon, a few have got the manual printed A5 by friendly local printers for a fiver :) ... can you not wangle a copy this way ?

Seonnaidh
7th November 2012, 05:29 PM
Chevvy that is a great idea.
One small flaw my local printer is in Inverness. Just over 126 miles away.
Nice thought though.

Chevvyf1
7th November 2012, 06:27 PM
Nice thought though.

email him the .pdf and ask for a quote and post 2nd class ? or
perhaps someone David aka grapholite can get one printed cheap and bring it up ?

David Morison ? I think got one printed local and cheap - maybe he has a spare ?

Chevvyf1
7th November 2012, 06:41 PM
Just thought maybe it is worth the investment getting say, 10 printed which reduces the per copy price, but selling the other 9 on here (plus p&p)

Your not alone :) in wanting one :) and that would def be cheaper than post from USA and quicker too :)

Zuiko
7th November 2012, 06:55 PM
Sorry one and all but I am starting the day with a moan.
Got up reasonably early to walk up the hill behind the house and take a sunrise over the Cuillin.
There was a forecast of a short break in the weather which proved to be correct.
Set up the tripod attached the OMD and started to use 'Livebulb' so that I could see the image appearing on the screen and stop it when I judged it to be correct.
It all went horribly wrong, I couldn't get to grips with it at all.
No problem just whip the trusty 'Manual' out of the bag and we'll be............
Oh no! The trusty manual and the laptop to access it are back at the house.
Opportunity lost.
Olympus' marketing strategy/customer friendliness were getting the full force of my wrath. Not improved by getting a real highland soaking walking the half a mile or so back to the house.
Instead of charging stupid bl**dy prices for lens hoods, why don't they put an extra 5 on the cost of a body and provide a manual that can be carried in

When the independent manual/book becomes available from Amazon on Dec 29th I'm having one. In fact I'm going to order it now. There. You've missed
a wee trick there Oly.

I was so enraged this morning that if I met the man who made the decision
not to include a 'proper' manual I would have w**''d in his Sushi and laughed while I did it.
End of tirade, going for a sulk. Teddy thrown in the corner and milk kicked over.

Attempting to use unfamiliar functions in the field without practicing at home first? A classic beginner's error! :p :D

BTW In my opinion you may have actually improved the taste of the Sushi! :D

Zuiko
7th November 2012, 07:00 PM
Now that raises a very moot point. Forestry in Scotland I'm told by several well informed people is on it's knees financially because nearly all the conifers grown here are intended for the printing industry, specifically low grade newspaper print.
Which, as we all know is in dire straits because of the electronic versions available.
I have just been quoted 180.00 for 10 ton of logs in 8ft long cords. The delivery from 20 miles away another 180.00. Seemingly I've been quoted top price for the logs and I should haggle a bit.
My point is, intense conifer plantations are not that great for wildlife. Under the new forestry laws when forestry is harvested it must be replaced with mixed conifer and deciduous broadleaf trees, so as to recreate in time, the great forest of Caledon.
Thus no one really want to invest in forestry and huge areas of forestry on Skye are up for sale with very little, if any interest in buying it.
It's a very difficult environmental conundrum that we as mankind have created. I am sure there is no quick easy answer.

Except, perhaps, the Government adopting a responsible, long-term policy on our behalf and supporting environmentally friendly forestry with meaningful subsidies.

jamsa
7th November 2012, 07:03 PM
Nice thought though.

If you can ask them I will take my disc in and get two copies if it's as cheap as that. I I will post or get the other delivered, from how's that sound?

Seonnaidh
7th November 2012, 07:08 PM
jamsa I'll get back to you as soon as I've spoken to the printers tomorrow.
Top Geezer, are you in Inverschnecky then?

jamsa
7th November 2012, 07:36 PM
I'm just outside Invergordon but will be in Inverness next week and week after :-) so it's no problem to sort.

wanderer
7th November 2012, 08:58 PM
I've also found the Oly guides to be written in a somewhat strangulated English.
There is no excuse for this these days. I'm sure Ian could do a proof read for them.

Elsewhere for a different camera the guide is 270 pages long in English and the flashgun guide is 90 pages. Good bedtime reading. I was asleep in 10 seconds.
But it still had its linguistic moments.

David M
7th November 2012, 10:57 PM
I don't think I've opened the paper manuals for any of my 4/3 bodies. I download the PDF version before unpacking the camera. While the battery is charging I attach the quick release plate. Once the battery is charge the camera is set to base/native ISO, aperture priority, single shot, manual focus, RAW, daylight white balance and I'm ready to go.

cariadus
8th November 2012, 12:06 AM
Seemingly you can only use 'Live bulb' with JPEG's.
The images I took in RAW are deemed unrecognizeable by Aperture but the JPEG's are fine.

Not sure why Aperture should have a problem with that. Lightroom handles the RAW files for Live Bulb and Live Time just fine.

I hardly ever refer to the Olympus manual. If I want to know something about the camera I Google it (on laptop or phone) and a Youtube video, a blog or a forum post somewhere will usually explain it far better than the manual would.

Seonnaidh
8th November 2012, 11:36 AM
Roger you are so right.
I've been on a crash course using Youtube and Google.
Marvellous.

Chevvyf1
14th November 2012, 04:19 PM
Manual - bound :) this one is winging its way back to someone in the post right now :) with front and back pages laminited :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PB135014.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54445)

I use colour coded tags for frequently needed pages :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/PB135015.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54446)

We have the Binder and Spiro binds of various sizes small for a few pages A5 and large and A4 for bigger sets of pages :) ... loads left over so FREE

Nick kindly laminated this one foc :)

If you want some pages gathered neatly, we are happy to do this IF you include return post stamps; send it in a re usable jiffy bag; and make a contribution to the laminated pouches :)

Seonnaidh
14th November 2012, 04:28 PM
Nice one Chevvy.

sapper
14th November 2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, nice one Chevvyf1*chr

brianvickers
20th November 2012, 04:48 PM
If you have a pdf version you can send it to your Kindle....by adding the word 'convert' into the email title a pdf is magically converted into a kindle format

Rens
20th November 2012, 07:16 PM

a wee trick there Oly.

I had a printed manual with my grey import OMD. But it's just about as frustrating as not having one. I'd forgotten how much I hated the E3 book, this I think is worse.

An independant CLEAR manual interests me.

Rens

mike_j
20th November 2012, 09:07 PM
The manual is OK as a pdf on a 7 inch tablet, whether Kindle or otherwise but isn't searchable.

The camera is certainly very complicated, I'm slowly getting there but I'm sure that I will forget if I leave it a week or two.

drmarkf
28th November 2012, 11:54 PM
The manual is OK as a pdf on a 7 inch tablet, whether Kindle or otherwise but isn't searchable.

True, but its better than nothing, and you can keep on adding manuals, guidebooks, novels and other stuff without a Kindle getting any heavier!

kentomas
20th January 2013, 10:20 PM

Roger

You can also put .pdf files on an iPhone and probably other smartphones with book reading apps. I have my eM-5 manual on my iPhone along with a couple of other reference works.

Ken

Chevvyf1
21st January 2013, 08:41 AM
Nice one Chevvy.

Jon, did you get the Amazon manual ? or do you want to let me know which pages you want printed ? or you print them and send them to me - I can laminate the front and back and Spiro bond it and post it (carefully packed with poly foam to protect the Spiro en route)

Just let me know :) Your very welcome :)

Seonnaidh
21st January 2013, 08:58 AM
Hi Chevvy,
Thanks for asking about the manual. Yes I got the david Busch manual as one of my Christmas Presents.
Probably the most comprehensive guide to any camera I have ever read.
Excellent book.

Chevvyf1
21st January 2013, 09:24 AM
I have DB's E-5 book - too big for my small camera case :) but excellent Hints & Tips :) :D

OlyPaul
21st January 2013, 10:07 AM
Pentax, for example, include manuals in multiple languages that must have caused several trees to be felled :)

Ian

Not true in my case Ian, my K-30 came supplied with one 300 page manual all in English and covering every aspect of the camera.:)