PDA

View Full Version : Live view on the computer

brianvickers
30th October 2012, 08:26 PM
When working is studio mode (just bought some kit) can I connect the OM-D to the computer to view the image on the computer screen while composing?
Can I see the images on the computer immediately after taking without downloading etc?

brian1208
30th October 2012, 09:07 PM
the only way I can think of doing this would be if you had an HDMI TV card in your computer and viewed the image via the TV output lead attached to the camera (haven't tried it myself I hasten to add). A bit of a bodge though (I've been trying to find a way of doing this without using an EY-FI card for studio work and had no success, so I will watch this thread with great interest in case someone has come up with a simple answer)

PeterBirder
30th October 2012, 09:35 PM
When working is studio mode (just bought some kit) can I connect the OM-D to the computer to view the image on the computer screen while composing?
Can I see the images on the computer immediately after taking without downloading etc?

1/ No you cannot see liveview using the USB or HDMI output. Page 74 of the manual.
2/You can see images on a computer immediately after shooting (JPG) by connecting via the USB lead.

Regards.*chr

brian1208
30th October 2012, 09:37 PM
2/You can see images on a computer immediately after shooting (JPG) by connecting via the USB lead.

do you need any software loaded to view the image this way?

PeterBirder
30th October 2012, 10:03 PM
do you need any software loaded to view the image this way?

No. The computer should see the camera as a removeable drive, you should be able to view the pictures by clicking on that drive in "My Computer".

Regards.*chr

brianvickers
30th October 2012, 11:08 PM
If I connect the USB lead to the camera then the display says Storage. MTP, Print, Exit?
There must be some setting up required?

davidfarquhar
30th October 2012, 11:16 PM
A few weeks back I used one of the included cables to hook my OM-D up to a TV and could see live view. Don't think it was an HDMI cable though, think it had a pair of RCA plugs on the TV end?

PeterBirder
30th October 2012, 11:37 PM
If I connect the USB lead to the camera then the display says Storage. MTP, Print, Exit?
There must be some setting up required?

Select Storage and press OK. Page 80 of the manual.

This puts the camera into the mode where the computer can "see" the memory card (storage).

Regards.*chr

brian1208
31st October 2012, 04:29 PM
David - many thanks, you have the solution (I have looked again in the manual and still can't see it mentioned there?)

I've just tried your idea and it works a treat. I can see the Live View displayed on the TV screen, check focus and exposure etc and see the shot after its taken

This site is a great resource, there is always someone has the answer, often to questions I haven't even asked myself! :)

Chevvyf1
31st October 2012, 04:42 PM
David - many thanks, you have the solution (I have looked again in the manual and still can't see it mentioned there?)

I've just tried your idea and it works a treat. I can see the Live View displayed on the TV screen, check focus and exposure etc and see the shot after its taken

This site is a great resource, there is always someone has the answer, often to questions I haven't even asked myself! :)

It is GREAT isn't it *chr

Chevvyf1
31st October 2012, 04:43 PM

Brian, what Kit did you buy in the end ? :D

brianvickers
31st October 2012, 07:48 PM
I bought the Bowens 400 twin head kit, (with free radio trigger - but that hasn't materialised yet -on its way tomorrow apparently)....just posted my first attempt on Photo Fair.

I take it the solution above works with a TV not with a computer?

brian1208
31st October 2012, 07:55 PM
Good kit that Brian.

Yes, as far as I can see it only works with the TV (unless you have a TV card on the PC). I haven't found anyway of linking to the PC in "real time" rather than post shot download

Graham_of_Rainham
31st October 2012, 09:45 PM
It would be nice if the OM-D worked with Studio 2 in the same way the E-3 &5 do... :cool: