PDA

View Full Version : Shall I or Shall I not

Rooky007
30th October 2012, 02:57 PM
OK

I am new here and glad I have found the Forum :)

I am thinking of getting the OMD EM5 as I am selling up my big Fat gear which is the Canon 7D with a ranges of L Lens.

I just dont carry it around much so want something that is good and produce great images. Ive been told the OMD EM5 can easily beat the 7D as it such a cracking Camera.

Have I heard right folks?

Ghostrider
30th October 2012, 04:05 PM
Hi Rooky007.

Just do it!

I went from a Nikon D300s and a 5 lens outfit (including a 120 - 400 Sigma zoom). My partner suggested a change when she had to pick up my camera backpack one day. Didn't really get to enthusiastic about changing until I had an OM-D in my hands. The main things I was worried about were digital noise and an electronic viewfinder. With the Olympus neither is a worry anymore.

Third of the size and half the weight!

Go for it.

Rooky007
30th October 2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks I honestly think I am going for it :)

Going get the kit lens and the free lens offer. What zoom should I look into getting? And wide for landscape.

I've a lee dslr filter kit that I hope be able to use on this omd.

Also what bag are people using?

brian1208
30th October 2012, 04:48 PM
Ive been told the OMD EM5 can easily beat the 7D as it such a cracking Camera.

Yes, but No, but :D

Having gone that route I'm obviously going to shout "Jump" but, as I'm sure you must be aware, there are some compromises.

The Big plus: low weight + good performance (outstanding in some conditions) and you stand to come out of it with a few 100's if not 1000's to the good

The Big negative: birds in flight will become nigh on impossible (although there is a slight ray of hope with some of the newer pro lenses appearing) and people who admired your large canon-ness may smirk at your reduced Olympian size ;)

I'm having a ball with mine so I hope you do to

Bag - I'm using the Lowepro Nova 180AW, which carries the body + grip, 60mm macro, 12-50 kit, 9-18, 75-300 on the body, Kenko ext tube and then either the FL600R flash or the 40-150R depending on what I'm going to be doing. 3 spare batteries + a load of SD's in the front pocket, and space to spare for other bits and pieces as well

Rooky007
30th October 2012, 04:53 PM

Having gone that route I'm obviously going to shout "Jump" but, as I'm sure you must be aware, there are some compromises.

The Big plus: low weight + good performance (outstanding in some conditions) and you stand to come out of it with a few 100's if not 1000's to the good

The Big negative: birds in flight will become nigh on impossible (although there is a slight ray of hope with some of the newer pro lenses appearing) and people who admired your large canon-ness may smirk at your reduced Olympian size ;)

Bag - I'm using the Lowepro Nova 180AW, which carries the body + grip, 60mm macro, 12-50 kit, 9-18, 75-300 on the body, Kenko ext tube and then either the FL600R flash or the 40-150R depending on what I'm going to be doing. 3 spare batteries + a load of SD's in the front pocket, and space to spare for other bits and pieces as well

I don't shoot birds so that not a problem I mainly do portraits and landscape. I though this got a fast AF so would of though it be capable of doing it?

I just fed up with the size of dslr it just too big now and never takes it it much. I honestly know ill take the omd out though :)

Rooky007
30th October 2012, 04:55 PM

Sow us some images you've taken pls :)

brian1208
30th October 2012, 05:01 PM
I mainly do portraits and landscape. I though this got a fast AF so would of though it be capable of doing it?

Yep, ideal for that. I do a lot of studio work with mine + landscapes, action shots (kite surfing, sail boarding and the like) + macro (for which its a star)

some pics and blogs on my experiences with it here

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/articles/blog-38

and my write up on it for Ephotozine here

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-2-month-user-review-19855

Jim Ford
30th October 2012, 05:03 PM
I thought this got a fast AF so would of though it be capable of doing it?

My understanding is that whilst it focuses very quickly, it doesn't continuously auto focus to track a moving object. I may be wrong though - I don't own a OM-D!

Jim

brian1208
30th October 2012, 05:08 PM
Jim, focus is fast and when the contrast is good and the bird is large in the frame (I reckon around 30% of frame) then I can nail my BIF shots quite easily otherwise it struggles to lock on focus. Faster lenses (I've experience with the 45 f1.8 and 60mm f2.8) do make it easier to get good and accurate lock, hence my comment about the new pro lenses that are beginning to come out

CAF is not good in my experience

Rooky007
30th October 2012, 05:11 PM
Yep, ideal for that. I do a lot of studio work with mine + landscapes, action shots (kite surfing, sail boarding and the like) + macro (for which its a star)

some pics and blogs on my experiences with it here

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/articles/blog-38

and my write up on it for Ephotozine here

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-2-month-user-review-19855

Just read ephotozine blows me away the images awesome. I am into macro too is the kit lens really that good for it for time being. How do you have it set up was that wasp crop on photozine

Rooky007
30th October 2012, 05:16 PM
Think I seen you on another forum with a 45-150 R ??? Hmmm that me who was interested in it but still not sure

pvasc
30th October 2012, 05:21 PM
Went to SRS Olympus event. The sales person there talked at length with me about the camera. The one thing I did mention because it comes up here on this forum is birds in flight, and my personal problem of grey aircraft on grey sky. He produced samples of both from the OMD. He had a shot of 2 Macaws, (red parrot type birds), in flight, sharp. I told him I was led to believe that was not capable of being done. They were taken with a micro 4/3 lens. I did try the 14-54 on to see what it would do, and it does focus, hesitate, then lock, so BIF shots would be difficult I think with 4/3 lenses if they all acted like that. I think the key is using the touch screen to take the shot do to the many focus points. Most impressive camera.

brian1208
30th October 2012, 05:28 PM
Just read ephotozine blows me away the images awesome. I am into macro too is the kit lens really that good for it for time being. How do you have it set up was that wasp crop on photozine

Thanks, the Hoverfly with Crab spider is the one I think you mean?

details of the shot settings are shown here:

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/brian1208-10796/gallery/photo/a-great-escape-26025343

I found that the kit lens is a cracking piece of kit for the price and makes a great stand-in for a dedicated macro so long as you don't mind cropping a bit more and use it typically around f8 (I've gon to the 60mm f2.8 macro now because I'm a macro-fanatic and it makes a cracking short telephoto + head and shoulders portrait lens)

PeterBirder
30th October 2012, 05:33 PM
I don't shoot birds so that not a problem I mainly do portraits and landscape. I though this got a fast AF so would of though it be capable of doing it?

I just fed up with the size of dslr it just too big now and never takes it it much. I honestly know ill take the omd out though :)

You'll find the light weight of the OMD very liberating and will certainly find yourself much more likely to carry it around and actually use it.

The micro four thirds system does indeed focus very quickly. However the problem for birds in flight and contiuous AF/tracking is the contrast detect system that has to be used for mirrorless cameras. The phase detect system used on DSLRs can determine whether the point of focus is beyond or in front of the focus distance (and by how much) the lens is at when starting to focus and adjust the lens in the right direction first time by the right amount. Contrast detect has to drive the lens past maximum contrast and then when contrast starts to fall off again bring it back to maximum. Since BIF are moving and the contrast pattern changing rapidly this is a problem. M 4/3 lenses are much smaller than DSLR lenses and the lower mass of the glass and mechanics means they can be physically focussed much quicker.

Since you do not do BIF this is all academic but just wanted to explain the reason for the comments you will see about this "issue".

Regards.*chr

brian1208
30th October 2012, 05:35 PM
He had a shot of 2 Macaws, (red parrot type birds), in flight, sharp

I think this is the key, strong contrast does make a big difference and I have got some cracking BIF shots with this camera and the 75-300 BUT it does not compare with the 7D + 70300LIS (nor yet even the 5Dmk2 with the same lens)

With the canon kit I could get 80% keepers at our local Hawk Conservancy, with the EM5 I'm lucky to get 25%, unless conditions are absolutely ideal when it creeps up to 50-60%

jamsa
30th October 2012, 05:35 PM
I changed gear a few months back still chuffed to bits with the OMD!!! Make that move... then you will know why.

CJJE
30th October 2012, 05:52 PM
I switched from a Canon EOS system -- initially to a Lumix G1 plus lenses as a test system, and then sold the EOS kit and G1 to buy my EM-5 and new lenses.

As others have said, continuous focus for moving subjects (sports, birds, kids?) is the weak point, but the electronic viewfinder is great for amplifying the light in dark areas (churches, studios etc).

I'm now moving towards the Lumix 12-35 f2.8 and 35-100 f2.8 zooms, but still find the "consumer" lenses good enough for day-to-day use. The Olympus 12-50 zoom is very flexible and not too slow for general use, so it's a no-brainer to get it with the camera.

The battery pack/grip is very useful -- especially the grip part -- but also very expensive (I got mine as a freeby for being an earlier adopter). The 45mm lens is excellent and obviously good value!

I favour Lowepro bags:

The Rezo 110 AW will hold the camera plus a standard zoom, with space for a 20mm or 45mm lens as well.

The Rezo 160AW allows you to add another zoom and a flashgun.

The Slingshot 102AW is great for hikes with the camera, 4 zooms and a monopod.

The Nova 4AW will take all my kit plus a battery charger.

Ian
30th October 2012, 06:01 PM
OK

I am new here and glad I have found the Forum :)

I am thinking of getting the OMD EM5 as I am selling up my big Fat gear which is the Canon 7D with a ranges of L Lens.

I just dont carry it around much so want something that is good and produce great images. Ive been told the OMD EM5 can easily beat the 7D as it such a cracking Camera.

Have I heard right folks?

The E-M5's sensor is slightly lower in resolution (16MP v.s. 18MP) but in terms of noise and DR the E-M5 has a slight edge over the 7D, which after all is a 3 year old camera now. The E-M5 has faster single shot AF but if you are into action photography like birds in flight the consensus is that the 7D will produce more keepers.

It's interesting that a couple of members have recently bought a 7D and we are welcoming some 7D members here who are going the other way :D

Ian

Rooky007
30th October 2012, 08:03 PM
To be honest I am taking pictures of my Daughter who is 3 years old and I have seen alot of good images of portraits I hope the OMD will get images of my Daughter with no problem

The 7D and the kits is doing my back in as now suffering bad back..

brianvickers
30th October 2012, 08:23 PM
I have changed from the Canon 50D with 24-105 and 70-200 L lenses - the OM-D beats that combination in image quality.....and the OM-D is very liberating.
I use the 12mm, 45mm Olympus primes and the Panasonic Leica 25 f1.4 and my zooms are 12-50, 14-42, 40-150....all very decent - primes are excellent.
I have trouble with fast moving objects - continuous AF is not so good - though the 50D didn't produce keepers all the time either.
I use a small Domke bag - it will carry the OM-D with grips fitted and with a prime fitted and the other 2 primes easily - thats in an 11x9x4 inch bag

Rooky007
1st November 2012, 09:21 PM
Have jumped onto the Wagon and WOW the shots I have taken macro and landscapes are MILES better than what I manage to get out of the 7D. But taking pictures of our never keep still little girl been a bit tricky so need some tips on this please as I have seen some great kid shots so i know it possible

Roberta
2nd November 2012, 06:48 AM
Well as seen in my signature, I have feet in both camps, dear husband bought a E5 and I was told not to use his so I had to buy my own, still getting my head round some of the wee small symbols on the screen. Get one you will not regret it.................
roberta

David Morison
2nd November 2012, 07:26 AM
Well as I have said before "It's horses for courses"

I use an E-M5 for Landscapes and Macro for which it is superb but have recently gone to a 7D for bird photography as it it miles better for picking out a bird in a bush or one in flight using CAF. But even with the lightest 400mm Canon make it is still too heavy to take on a Ryanair flight with cabin baggage only (10kg) as with binoculars, Gorillapod, batteries and charger that would leave little room for any clothes etc.

David

brian1208
2nd November 2012, 08:02 AM
If you want to have some fun with birds at distance with the EM-5 see if you can pick up a Sigma 400 f5.6 + suitable adapter. Mine is the APO, HSM macro model which I was lucky enough to find for less than 300 and was chipped for use with my canon bodies.

At 800mm FOV it needs to be monopod mounted for best results (but can be hand-held with the IBIS engaged)

Alpha1
2nd November 2012, 09:04 AM
If you want to have some fun with birds at distance with the EM-5 see if you can pick up a Sigma 400 f5.6 + suitable adapter. Mine is the APO, HSM macro model which I was lucky enough to find for less than 300 and was chipped for use with my canon bodies.

At 800mm FOV it needs to be monopod mounted for best results (but can be hand-held with the IBIS engaged)

Brian, is the Sigma lens then used as a stop down and manual focus lens? If not which adaptor do you use?

brian1208
2nd November 2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, its purely manual focus but the Sigma has a large and smooth focus barrel so is a joy to use this way.
I have the Kipon adapter with an external Iris but to be honest don't find it functions very well in enhanced DOF.

The sigma is actually very good wide open (I mostly used it this way on the 7D and 5Dmk2) but I have an old EOS film body so have been using that to preset the aperture of the lens before transerring it to the EM-5 (can't say I've seen a lot of improvement in IQ that way though)

There are a few pics using this set-up here:

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com/gallery/sigma-400-on-em-5-15949

The wildlife shots were taken on our local Salt Marsh at extreme distance and were either imaccessible because of the marsh of on the far side of the estuary that runs beside it

Alpha1
2nd November 2012, 01:17 PM
Thank you Brian, I love the wildlife shots, superb, especially the image of what I think maybe a cormorant stretching it's wings.

I have a Sony 70-400 zoom which I use with my Sony A77 and A900 for wildlife but I might try getting a m4/3 adaptor for it but it is such a heavy lens it would be a total imbalance for the little OMD! ;)

Then I would be back to dragging a big bag and heavy gear around again which I am trying to avoid!