PDA

View Full Version : Monopod help

andym
15th July 2008, 08:11 AM
This has probaly been done before but I am looking to get a monopod for my upcoming trip to Cornwall.It will be used as additional support when using the Sigma 50-500mm and also for macro with the 50mm and EC14.
I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 680B with one of their small ballheads.
Has anyone used this or have any other ideas.

Thanks.

StephenL
15th July 2008, 08:40 AM
I have the Manfrotto 679B (don't know what the difference is) with the Manfrotto 484 RC2 ballhead. Not the lightest combo in the world, but it's solid. I chose this head partly for quick-release plate compatability with my other Manfrotto heads. You will need something solid for the Bigma!

Nick Temple-Fry
15th July 2008, 09:58 AM
This has probaly been done before but I am looking to get a monopod for my upcoming trip to Cornwall.It will be used as additional support when using the Sigma 50-500mm and also for macro with the 50mm and EC14.
I am leaning towards the Manfrotto 680B with one of their small ballheads.
Has anyone used this or have any other ideas.

Thanks.

Well I use the Benbo trekker monopod, like all their kit it is solid and will happily withstand standing in a foot or two of water. It is also quite cheap (seems to be selling at about £30 online). It has a simple rotating section that can be locked at the top that removes the need for a ball head

Not bad as an emergency walking stick either.

Haven't tried it with a 50-500.

Nick

yorky
15th July 2008, 06:27 PM
I like the benbo, it comes with a head as well

jchallen
16th July 2008, 12:34 PM
Just my two pennys worth but I recently bought a Giottos monopod (one of the MM95xx range but I can't remember which one!) and am very happy with it.

I wanted it for some motorsports photography and have used it with the E500+EC14+Sigma 135-400 without problem. It includes a two way head which works well to eliminate any distortion caused from having the monopod at an angle (which I found works best for stability), and panning can be achieved by rotating the whole monopod (the foot has a ball socket that allows this without risking slipping).

I had looked around for some time and in the end went with Giottos due to the cost and as I already had their tripod which is great (you just sort of know hen something is well engineered and precise).

Their web site is http://www.giottos.com/ but you cant order directly from them, I just Googled the product number to find a suppler (Foto Sense I think).

Hope you find what your looking for.

Jason.

theMusicMan
16th July 2008, 03:09 PM
Hey Andy

I have the Manfrotto 681 tripod and 484RC2 head and find them awesome to use with the Bigma. I don't find them light, but strong... oh yea!! The monopod has flick release latches rather than twist around ones - some say the twist releases are quieter but I've never noticed any undue noise when releasing the legs.

With the 484RC2 head I find it very useful when using the Bigma as I can tighten the ball/socket head to such a point that the camera and lens won't move without some additional effort on my part - this is useful for when you need some degrees of rotation for getting your shots.

All in all - a great choice I'd say.

Enjoy Cornwall...!

andym
16th July 2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

Ended up buying Chris(Chllimonster)'s Manfrotto 680B yesterday*chr.