PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy for the Devil

Zuiko
15th July 2008, 12:14 AM
Taken recently at a Counterfeit Stones concert. These two fans moved in front of me and at first I was cursing because they were impeding my view. Then I noticed the potential of the illuminated horns - Sympathy for the Devil. As a bonus the blonde girl had a red devil tattoo on her right shoulder. All I had to do was wait until "Mick" was in the right place........

I'm pleased with this image, but does it work for you? Does it convey to you the association that I've tried to make with the song?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P6282773_e_r_s.jpg

Sometimes when we try to be a little bit creative or inventive it doesn't work for others as we "saw" with our own eyes, so be as critical as you like for this one - for me it's a learning process.

Garrie
15th July 2008, 09:13 PM
I like it, I think it works.. Wish I could think of ideas like this. I works for me because I know the music, perhaps if people didn't like or know of the Stone it may not be relevant?

One thing I will say if you don't mind is it does appear noisy and I've no idea how you would go about resolving that :o

Heres a thought, how about a bit of selective colouring for the red tattoo and Horns, wonder if the strap could be cloned out somehow?

Cheers
G

Zuiko
15th July 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your comments, Garrie. I guess the only way to improve on the noise would be with Neat Image or something similar. To be honest, I could have shot at ISO 1600 instead of 3200 but like a kid with a new toy I wanted to try it. I agree that it would be nice to clone out the strap but that's beyond me at the moment. :o

The Judge
15th July 2008, 11:03 PM
Sadly I think this picture does not work in any way at all. This looks like a snapshot with a dslr without any thought going in to composition, scene, or even trying to capture the mood of the evening. It is very noisy and bland and certainly does not do justice to the band or to the phoographer who has posted far better on here.

The Judge.

Zuiko
15th July 2008, 11:35 PM
Sadly I think this picture does not work in any way at all. This looks like a snapshot with a dslr without any thought going in to composition, scene, or even trying to capture the mood of the evening. It is very noisy and bland and certainly does not do justice to the band or to the phoographer who has posted far better on here.

The Judge.

Thanks for an honest opinion, that's exactly what I am after. This is a new type of photography for me and I'm not entirely sure what's good and what's not. I did put a bit of thought into the composition, but it obviously doesn't appear that I did! :o

Oh well, I have at least got a delete button on my computer.....*ohwell

ndl0071
16th July 2008, 07:27 AM
Hi John

I wonder if you could have got 'Mick' into focus as well as the ladies in the foreground I think this would have worked a little better as I find the out of focus 'Mick' a little distracting. This may have been difficult becasuse of the distance and exposure required.

The only other gem of advice to offer is that given a similar situation, why not ask the lady in question to remove the strap, it could save hours of pp:D

Neil

Nick Temple-Fry
16th July 2008, 11:37 AM
Hi John

I wonder if you could have got 'Mick' into focus as well as the ladies in the foreground I think this would have worked a little better as I find the out of focus 'Mick' a little distracting. This may have been difficult becasuse of the distance and exposure required.

The only other gem of advice to offer is that given a similar situation, why not ask the lady in question to remove the strap, it could save hours of pp:D

Neil

And lead to a beautiful..................

.....................Black Eye.

Have to agree about putting 'Mick' into better focus (though he seems a bit fuzzy anyway compared to the original). Can understand the intention of having the focus on the ladies (sympathy), but as an idea it is a bit 'pushed' in the image.

Nick

OlyPaul
16th July 2008, 03:07 PM
To be honest it does look like a snap, but and I'm pretty sure this was not intentional the dark haired girl with the glowing out of focus figure between the horns really works as a image on its own and might have been worth pursuing if you had noticed the effect.;)

Zuiko
16th July 2008, 10:56 PM
I think the concensous is I'm out of my depth with this one! :eek: I'm trying to break free from my tried and trusted formula for landscapes, which is fine but does make me a bit of a one trick pony. Digital is definitely giving me the flexibility to try more types of photography but that means taking risks and sometimes I will fail! Hopefully, in the long run it will make me a more rounded and versatile photographer but at the moment the learning curve is quite steep.

That's where forums like this prove invaluable, where honest opinions are expressed and advice feely given. Thank you all for your replies. :)

Graham_of_Rainham
18th July 2008, 01:39 PM
I think the concensous is I'm out of my depth with this one!

I can't think why you would think that. The composition is Very Good. In these situations it is often more by luck than pure genius that you get a Great shot so if this is the first try at something I believe it to be a very credible effort. Especially so as it is an example of what you were trying to do.

If you enjoyed yourself while in the process of making the image, then that in itself is a win. Keep at it and you will succeed.

*chr

Zuiko
18th July 2008, 10:09 PM
I can't think why you would think that. The composition is Very Good. In these situations it is often more by luck than pure genius that you get a Great shot so if this is the first try at something I believe it to be a very credible effort. Especially so as it is an example of what you were trying to do.

If you enjoyed yourself while in the process of making the image, then that in itself is a win. Keep at it and you will succeed.

*chr

Thanks for your encouragement Graham, but I think the general opinion was a thumbs down. That doesn't stop me from liking it, I just won't show it as an example of my best work! And yes, I did enjoy taking it and that's the best part about being an amateur, because that's all that matters! :cool:

Susan
19th July 2008, 10:17 PM
Hey John

I like this shot a lot :) you've captured the atmosphere of this very well.
I love the vibrancy of the colours and the real gig feel it has. OKay it's a wee bit noisy, but it actually adds to the shot i think (i know lots will tell me i'm wrong but it's my opinion so they can get stuffed :))
I like the composition and the diagonals in the ceiling kinda frame the lead singer too. I like it in colour, but would be interested to see how it looked perhaps as selective colour, with the girls in the foreground in colour but the background in b&w/greyscale? Just and idea though.
I can see that thought has gone in to the shot and the composition, and think it works. I agree with you that in photography it's refreshing to think creatively and try new things, and if you don't try it, you never know if it works :) for me it does work :)

Cheers
Sus :)

Zuiko
19th July 2008, 11:34 PM
Hey John

I like this shot a lot :) you've captured the atmosphere of this very well.
I love the vibrancy of the colours and the real gig feel it has. OKay it's a wee bit noisy, but it actually adds to the shot i think (i know lots will tell me i'm wrong but it's my opinion so they can get stuffed :))
I like the composition and the diagonals in the ceiling kinda frame the lead singer too. I like it in colour, but would be interested to see how it looked perhaps as selective colour, with the girls in the foreground in colour but the background in b&w/greyscale? Just and idea though.
I can see that thought has gone in to the shot and the composition, and think it works. I agree with you that in photography it's refreshing to think creatively and try new things, and if you don't try it, you never know if it works :) for me it does work :)

Cheers
Sus :)

Thanks for your encouraging comments, Susan. At first it seemed that the consensus was that this one hadn't worked but now it seems opinion is divided. I guess it's one of those pictures you either like or Loath. :)