PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between "zoom" and "magnify" ?

DJMC
28th October 2012, 06:42 PM
:confused:

Set to S-AF +M I can magnify an image with the lens focus ring but can't get a focus box to stay on the magnified image in order to focus on a smaller area (and avoid background focusing).

In menu D I have "LV Close Up Mode" set to Mode 2 so that zoom is not cancelled when the shutter button is pressd halfway, but this doesn't work.

I think I'm confusing magnify with zoom? What do I need to do (in precise detail please) to be able to assign Fn2 to give me a magnified view AND allow the focus box to appear and focus on half shutter press AND keep the focus box on the magnified image whilst the camera focuses on that small area?

Thanks for any help. *yes

*chr

Chevvyf1
28th October 2012, 07:02 PM
I popped in to see the answer :( ... ah well soon

DJMC
28th October 2012, 07:10 PM
:(

I've found a number of threads on this subject but none that I can understand:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3288190

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/37044-can-focus-point-omd-made-smaller.html

https://www.flickr.com/groups/om-d_user/discuss/72157631476989868/

Anyone help clarify? Let me know if you're confused by what I'm trying to do.
The OP in the top of the three links describes the problem well.

*chr

DJMC
28th October 2012, 09:30 PM
:)

Oooooh.... I worked it out for myself.

Can't get an AF green box whilst the view is magnified but I can get a tiny AF rectangle that fits within the small outline circle right at the centre of the screen when in normal size view.

I assigned Fn2 (you choose a button) to 'magnify' (p.45 & 86/94 of the full manual).

Pressing the Fn2 button once brings up the 10x (default) smaller rectangular focus box. Then press Fn2 again and turn the front or rear dial to show 14x.
Press Fn2 again to return to normal size view but with a tiny green focus box.

Pressing menu or OK brings up the standard size square focus box again. The tiny focus frame will remain available to Fn2 when the camera is switched off and on again.

Be careful how you press the buttons, Fn2 for example needs a swift press, not a prolonged one, to activate.

Hope this helps someone else. I'm sure lots of you knew how to do it already. ;)

*chr

peak4
28th October 2012, 09:45 PM
The one that's really throwing me, is how do you get C-AF +M in the first place?

PeterBirder
28th October 2012, 09:47 PM
:)

Hope this helps someone else. I'm sure lots of you knew how to do it already. ;)

*chr

Well I had worked out how to do it but I didn't write it down and would have had to do quite a bit of thinking to recall how I did it.:)

Regards.*chr

DJMC
28th October 2012, 10:30 PM
The one that's really throwing me, is how do you get C-AF +M in the first place?

Apologies, it's S-AF +MF, not C-AF. :o Now amended in OP. Go to Super Control Panel and select it.

The tiny focus box also works in all other AF modes apart from tracking.

;)