PDA

View Full Version : OM-D video question

donmcmahan
27th October 2012, 07:51 PM
is anyone here shooting much video with the OM-D? my question is in regards to the OM-D frame rate and the frequency of AC electricity, the OM-D shoots 30fps video and that is just fine in the parts of the world where the AC electricity is 60htz but here in Europe the AC power is 50htz so the invisible(to the eye) flickering of electric lights can be picked up on video that is shot at a frame rate that does not match up. Virtually every other video capable camera shoots 25fps on models made for the european market. I know that this flickering can and does show up on OM-D video but my question is, is it very noticeable? is it very objectionable? I know that the OM-D is no GH2 when it comes to video but I think it would be generally good enough for my needs, but if you can not shoot indoors under artificial light without seeing an annoying level of light flicker would be a deal killer for me. thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this issue.

Ross the fiddler
28th October 2012, 03:30 AM
is anyone here shooting much video with the OM-D? my question is in regards to the OM-D frame rate and the frequency of AC electricity, the OM-D shoots 30fps video and that is just fine in the parts of the world where the AC electricity is 60htz but here in Europe the AC power is 50htz so the invisible(to the eye) flickering of electric lights can be picked up on video that is shot at a frame rate that does not match up. Virtually every other video capable camera shoots 25fps on models made for the european market. I know that this flickering can and does show up on OM-D video but my question is, is it very noticeable? is it very objectionable? I know that the OM-D is no GH2 when it comes to video but I think it would be generally good enough for my needs, but if you can not shoot indoors under artificial light without seeing an annoying level of light flicker would be a deal killer for me. thanks to anyone who can shed any light on this issue.

I've just tried a couple of video shorts under incandescent & fluorescent lights without any noticeable flicker at all & we are on 50Hz here in Australia.