PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 12-60 apperture settings

alfbranch
26th October 2012, 03:04 PM
My 12-60 f2.8-4.0 has an issue with the maximum apperature on my E-620 I do not own another SLR. The camera will not show the max apperture as f2.8 but only f3.9 but strangely when I zoom to 60 mm it does not change

My original twin kit lenses both work OK on the camera.

What do I do?

David M
26th October 2012, 09:49 PM
First, try cleaning the contacts on the back of the lens.

There was a recall on the lens about 4 years ago but can't remember what the problem was.

Zuiko
26th October 2012, 10:15 PM
If you program the Fn button for depth of field preview you will be able to stop down the lens to f22 and observe whether the aperure blades are moving freely and smoothly, or sluggish and sticky when the button is released. This will rule out, or confirm, that the problem is related to the aperture blades. If they have a tendency to stick, try pressing and releasing the Fn button several times in quick succession. I've got an old manual focus Elicar macro lens with shutter blades that tend to stick just before they are fully open.

David M
27th October 2012, 12:32 PM
John, that was going to be step two.

alfbranch
27th October 2012, 03:45 PM
I have tried the DOF preview and it seems operate OK much the same as the other 2 lenses. The contacts are clean. Something rattles in it though.

I have contacted Olympus to ask them what the think. I have looked and thier is no firmware update available to see if that sorted it.

Zuiko
27th October 2012, 04:39 PM
It will be interesting to hear what Olympus have to say about it, keep us posted.

alfbranch
29th October 2012, 05:38 PM
My first reply was to ask what modes this happens in and I have confirmed it happens in all PASM modes. Further to that at one point this morning when out it registered no apperture at all until I took it off and put it back on.

Ian
29th October 2012, 05:52 PM
Just a thought - you are trying to set the lens to f/2.8 while the zoom is at 12mm only, yes? Apologies if that is what you are trying to do, but of course the lens can't be set to 2.8 if you zoom in towards 60mm.

The fact that no aperture registered at all temporarily does indicated that either the lens wasn't completely rotated on its mount or there is some foreign matter insulating one or more lens mount contacts. You need to check that both sides are clean.

Is the problem only with the 12-60? Do you have other lenses and bodies to do a process of elimination test?

Ian

alfbranch
29th October 2012, 06:05 PM
Ian
I have been through those things and in my original post I said the other lenses I have work fine changing apperture as i zoom in. The 12-60 is not changing as I zoom. It reads f3.9 at 60mm which it should not.

I had been using the lens nearly 2 hours on and off without remving it from the camera. I corrected irself after removing and replacing it. It does have a rattle and I am wondering if its got a loose/failing PCB.

alfbranch
30th October 2012, 09:12 PM
Well I was advised to update the firmware to see if that helped and it did not. So they advise I send it back for a technical check.

It also stopped register again when I was checking it.

Jim Ford
30th October 2012, 10:05 PM
It does have a rattle and I am wondering if its got a loose/failing PCB.

I've just taken my 12-60mm off the camera and given it a shake - it give a slight dull rattle!

Jim

alfbranch
30th October 2012, 11:17 PM
I've just taken my 12-60mm off the camera and given it a shake - it give a slight dull rattle!

Jim
I suppose thats what it sounds like.

alfbranch
3rd November 2012, 12:23 AM
Should I send this to Oly or somewhere else

Zuiko
3rd November 2012, 02:18 AM
I would be inclined to send it to Olympus, it's a bit of a pain but hopefully they will get it sorted.

alfbranch
16th November 2012, 04:57 PM
This was sent to Olympus a few days ago.

alfbranch
5th December 2012, 07:51 PM
Well I dont know what was wrong but I have it back and its OK now.