PDA

View Full Version : EM5 focus peaking

timg
25th October 2012, 04:45 PM
Just spotted this over on the rumour site... thought some of you might find it useful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UpOqo6gA92Y

DJMC
25th October 2012, 05:48 PM
No sound on the video clip and I can't read all of the text below it so I've absolutely no idea what it's all about. :confused:

Could someone explain please?

*chr

OM USer
25th October 2012, 06:18 PM
small discussionj here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3289371

using the line art filter which emphasises lines (the boundary in contrast) you can tell when an object is in focus because the features of it become "line enhanced"

OM USer
25th October 2012, 06:20 PM
Oh, the trick is to shoot raw+jpeg and throw away the line art jpeg or shoot art bracket with the line art jpeg in the viewer and the line art and standard jpeg saved to disk.

Ulfric M Douglas
25th October 2012, 06:33 PM
With the right eyes and the right viewfinder and the right subject a similar phenomenon occurs in normal viewing, but for those enamoured of peaking it looks like fun.
Art-filter-bracket for the win!

timg
25th October 2012, 07:31 PM
Oh, the trick is to shoot raw+jpeg and throw away the line art jpeg

Bingo! :D

Text from the video:

"Focus peaking is something that a lot of people are waiting.
But actually, with one of the filters you already have it !
Just take pictures in RAW+ JPG and it's done.
Trash the JPG after, and keep the RAW.

Olympus, you did the work at 99%... why didn't you finish it ? :)
Could you do a firmware update ? It would be a nice christmas gift !

Note : you can be in A or M mode, and select the filter in the quick menu.
Then, you have access to some manual controls (exposure compensation, curve...)."

Just been having a quick play and it seems to work quite nicely... I'm surprised that no-one's noticed it before!

StephenL
25th October 2012, 08:56 PM
Hmm... Might try this some time.

Phill D
26th October 2012, 06:18 AM
Sounds like they should have patented that.

Rawcoll
26th October 2012, 12:53 PM
There is also a discussion over at the micro 4/3 user group that's worth a look at:

http://www.mu-43.com/f92/focus-peaking-olympus-om-d-e-m5-35442/

dko22
28th October 2012, 09:16 PM
played around with this a bit as I was quite intrigued. Preliminary conclusion is that it doesn't give better AF or MF accuracy than using the standard magnified view when the subject is quite clear. In general both methods have been fine but the old fashioned one has a slight edge so far. However, when the subject is obscured, the light is generally bad, contrast low or image shaking even when stabilised using a telephoto (AF is usually accurate anyway and MF easy if not using a longer telephoto) then the peaking can be most helpful.

I simply change to Art filter 11 on the left dial without altering any other settings, in other words RAW only. The actual image doesn't change at all this way and you simply use the filter for focus peaking. If you need a JPEG chimp then follow one of the varying suggestions on other forums -- can't say I entirely follow all of them....

David