PDA

View Full Version : Lens Choice for EM-5

Swordfish
24th October 2012, 06:21 AM
I have recently bought a slightly used EM-5 body and am delighted with it - I took it to Turkey last week one day after receiving it.

I have used my existing m4/3rds lenses with it with good results, particularly the 45mm. One question though- has anyone had the opportunity to compare the performance of the 14-42mm with the 12-50mm lens?

I have the 14-42 from my Pen, and it's not bad, but I wonder if the 12-50 shows any significant improvement in IQ.

Martin

PeterBirder
24th October 2012, 08:17 AM
Hi Martin.
I haven't used the micro 4/3 14-42 but I do have the 12-50 (got it half price with the camera kit deal). I've been delighted with its performance and find the macro capability very useful too. It's of course the first weather/dust sealed m4/3 as well.I've found it to be very sharp and suspect it may be better than the 14-42 although I haven't been able to do a comparison.

The shots in this post of mine were all taken with the E-M5/12-50 and I think the IQ is pretty good. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22397

Hope this helps.*chr

Swordfish
24th October 2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for that - those are pretty impressive shots and I'm not sure the 14-42 would do as well.

Martin

DJMC
24th October 2012, 03:15 PM
:)

I had this quandry too, thinking I'd keep both the 14-42 MSC II R and the 12-50 kit lens, the former being slightly shorter and lighter. But when I considered the weather-proofing, macro, power zoom for the occasional video, I then just about decided to part with the 14-42.

The final decider was when I read this thread and saw the 12-50 photos about 2/3rds of the way down: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3274941

I think the lens is very capable.

;)

Ian
24th October 2012, 04:56 PM
All things are relative. Initially, the 12-50 got a negative reception because it isn't as sharp as, say, the 12-60 ZD for Four Thirds, with people forgetting that is an exceptional lens and several times the price of a 12-50. But I think the 12-50, especially at the wide end, is a very good lens for the price and more versatile than the 14-42.

Ian

Seonnaidh
24th October 2012, 06:59 PM
I totally agree Ian.
I have the 12-50 and I am quite amazes at it's capabilities.
I often think people loose sight of a particular lens' specifications and expect it to perform
as well as a much better specified lens.

Chris Pattison
26th October 2012, 01:19 PM
Another thumbs up for the 12-50mm. It has had a bad pres because it was a little slow at the long end.
The question is, how many other manufacturers make a weather sealed, ultra fast focussing, near silent 'kit lens' with a good macro function, and power zoom function that goes as wide as 12mm?

Kees
26th October 2012, 07:40 PM
Another thumbs up for the 12-50mm. It has had a bad pres because it was a little slow at the long end.
The question is, how many other manufacturers make a weather sealed, ultra fast focussing, near silent 'kit lens' with a good macro function, and power zoom function that goes as wide as 12mm?
I beg to disagree. The real question is (in my opinion): "Why didn't Olympus make a 12-60mm equivalent for the E-M5?"
There are (economical) reasons of course, but I think the current Olympus zoom lenses don't do justice to the potential image quality of the E-M5 (or other PENs for that matter). Not like the 12-60 and 50-200 do for the E5.

OM USer
26th October 2012, 07:49 PM
I think a lot of us would like those 2 lenses in native MFT (i.e. mount and CDAF viable) but I fear that they were deemed too big physically to be attractive to MFT users, a corporate view that lots of people disagree with. Maybe we only hear from the vocal enthusiasts though and there a vast majority of casual MFT users who would never purchase such quality lenses.

Kees
26th October 2012, 08:21 PM
I think a lot of us would like those 2 lenses in native MFT (i.e. mount and CDAF viable) but I fear that they were deemed too big physically to be attractive to MFT users, a corporate view that lots of people disagree with. Maybe we only hear from the vocal enthusiasts though and there a vast majority of casual MFT users who would never purchase such quality lenses.
It makes it very difficult for me to take the E-M5 seriously.

benvendetta
26th October 2012, 09:57 PM
It makes it very difficult for me to take the E-M5 seriously.

I take the E-M5 seriously but as I am into zooms more than primes, the micro 4/3 lineup in this respect seems to err towards the kit market rather than the HG and SHG range of 'full size' 4/3. I guess that is why many people are happy to use their older ZD glass on their EM-5s with an adapter and accepting the slower focus. I would love to see some micro versions of the lens that I use with my E-3.

David M
27th October 2012, 12:41 PM
I see the EM-5 as a serious camera, it's just a pity there's so few m4/3 lenses worth mounting on it. The 2 f/0.95 Noktons are the only m4/3 mount lenses that interest me.